Will 12-Jul-18
spike78 12-Jul-18
Belchertown Bowman 12-Jul-18
Notme 12-Jul-18
TT-Pi 12-Jul-18
TT-Pi 12-Jul-18
10-Jul-18

Belchertown Bowman's Link
Bunch of stuff I did not know about in this article.

Its a 20 year study of ticks and Lyme and how it relates to habitat, predators and acorns.

Thought others might like too.

10-Jul-18
Thanks for the post BB. The below rant is not pointed at you, our fine messenger.

Wow, are they still funding studies for what has been known for years? We have had this discussion several times and essentially have spelled out the problem, cause, and effect.

The solution has also been tested ( Farm in Conn If I remember correctly (maybe Will posted it) had great success in treating bait boxes for mice as a vehicle to kill ticks where they fester) Solution is Chemical soaked doorways (and other such kill methods) for treating the mice = dead ticks = problem solved.

I wish the "study money" went to the solution and not to more pencil pushers. Typical. Grant money abuse. And did you notice "the Climate" was mentioned but in fact, it is moisture, wow what a discovery ! ... Another known fact rediscovered and paid for by you good taxpayers. Its Weather people, weather! and we don't control the weather patterns... sheesh.

It's Mice populations /locations which is the crucible of disease. We already know it. Treat the mouse, kill the problem bug. Stop studying what is already known and Get freaking busy!

10-Jul-18
One of the plants they dont mention is the very evasive but ornamentaly used japenese bayberry..the use of this shrub along with the mouse explosion the last 20 -25 yrs is a huge part of the problem..

As long as theres money to be wasted on studies the studies will continue..

Look in the ct forum how long this has been gone over with the polititions answering to just killing off the deer

Will and spike and a few others from up youre way know how long this has been brought up and roasted to death...lol

10-Jul-18
I guess that might be a benefit of excess study of the topic,.. if it keeps coming up eventually it might get through to people that the common assumption "Kill the Deer" is not the right solution. Although many here have heard this for years I have not. Again I have been outta the hunting picture for many years, only recently returning back to it.

So maybe more studies will grind it into the typical dumb asses head that Deer are not the problem.

Although one could also argue people are just too fucking dumb, no matter how many studies there are. I am sorta leaning that way, there is a general dislike of science (and studies) in today's world so no matter how much it is studied and the results made public,. people will say bullshit,.. the deer are the problem (after all they are called Deer Ticks right! LOL),.. just a sad guess of mine?

10-Jul-18
ironically, killing the coyotes is, in this line of thought, counterproductive as well... :/

10-Jul-18
Wait I thought it said that increasing Coyote population resulted in less small predators like foxes,.. therefor one would think killing yotes to be ok,.. I don't know maybe I miss read it,.. to long to read twice,. LOL

11-Jul-18

Notme's Link

Heres an oldie to check out, and this is a short one..lol

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=221553&MESSAGES=37&state=Ct#2342269

11-Jul-18
Wow some angry folks in that thread!

12-Jul-18
Notme, keep MA a place of peace and calm. A placid environment where we can discuss the dangers of climate change (just messin with you Pi, easy big fella) and solar farms (had to guys, I just had to)...

Some of those CT threads were epic. Not good epic, just epic.

Looking forward to taking a gander BB. Repetitive study is part of science. Sometimes it's just redundant... other times it shows a new wrinkle. Used to bug the heck out of me - how many more studies need to be done showing exercise is good for you - as an example... But long term, it's part of the process.

12-Jul-18
Notme, a tick study wouldn’t work in MA as we have so few deer that it shoots down their theory.

12-Jul-18
Ha Spike,.. good one.

True too,..

12-Jul-18
Will, some of those threads were pretty good..bob was like a pitbull and doc never realy answered anything.

Spike, ya but you guys got the kennedys..ticks leaches same thing..lol

So if no deer where are the tics coming from..i propose a study

12-Jul-18
Oh it's you Will , ... I was having a nap and something woke me up ... I was dreaming of Al Gore having a crap on our bank account. False alarm ... Man those dreams are spooky.

As for redundant studies ... Spoken like a true believer. I wouldn't mind if Warren Buffet paid for it all or Michael Moore, Nancy Pelosi, Elizabeth Warren, Barack Obama and all the other public fund feeders chipped in but let's give the taxpayers a break.

Did I say that out loud? Hey, what are all you doing in my house?

12-Jul-18
Notme, Sadly in hindsight, We were better off with leaches, they just suck your blood. Occasionally leading to a tragedy for the ones that get too close ... This new bug wants to make us all suffer and sap our strength... One was just in murky stagnant water and the other is crawling all over the land... That's evolution for yu.

Interesting how the natural world and Politics run parallel.

• Sitka Gear