Jdawg 10-Jul-18
longbeard 10-Jul-18
Mint 16-Jul-18
Jdawg 17-Jul-18
C.Beck 17-Jul-18
longbeard 17-Jul-18
Trial153 18-Jul-18
10-Jul-18
Question here. In my previous hunting areas I’ve never really had any oaks present. If there were, they’d be a scattered red or black oak. In the new area I acquired access to last winter there is a really nice white oak which appears to be bearing this season, I.e. small acorns seem apparent. The question is, when do white oaks in the wild (NYS) typically drop? Around my neighborhood plenty of red and black oaks bear every year but there are literally millions of squirrels at em cutting them down prior to the time they might naturally drop, so I don’t even know when they drop normally.

I could also phrase the question “will the drop of white oak acorns likleyncross over into early October bow season”?

Thanks.

10-Jul-18
Simple answer is yes. A lot of variable could affect their development between now and then but if all goes as scheduled you should be able to set up over them in Oct

16-Jul-18
The white oaks I hunt on Long Island will drop in October, usually earlier in the month.

17-Jul-18
Thanks....encouraging.

17-Jul-18
They can drop until mid November if the area doesn't get a serious storm with high winds that could knock most of them down all in one shot. One thing I have learned is they are spotty. One year a specific size or age group will bear huge amounts of acorns and some will have none. Find the areas with the most acorns and you will see deer.

17-Jul-18
A quick tip though. If you do see falling white oak acorns with deer sign around, don’t hesitate because they don’t last long and when they are available the deer suck them up quickly. As quick as it becomes a hot spot it will go cold as soon as the acorns run out. They’ll eat all the whites first

18-Jul-18
around here they are picked clean before the bow season opens

• Sitka Gear