Treeline 11-Jul-18
Longcruise 11-Jul-18
Paul@thefort 11-Jul-18
Paul@thefort 11-Jul-18
Paul@thefort 11-Jul-18
Treeline 11-Jul-18
Treeline 29-Aug-18
10-Jul-18
Pulled an either sex mule tag for 18, 27,28, 37, 181, 371. Was looking south of Kremmling in Arapahoe national forest, mainly in unit 28(and 18). Experienced from hunting in the northeast, but it is vastly different here. In good shape, hike a lot of 14ers. But I am a bit overwhelmed on where to start scouting(looking to go this weekend) Any suggest spots? Not sure what perfect mule deer habitat is(where forest meets meadow/shrub from what i read) But do i go high elevation... low? Ground hunt or treestand hunt? What places have flowing creeks that aren't dried up... water holes? Plan to hunt the weekends and camp at a campsite for the nights to get an easy start in the mornings. Just trying to get a good location to start with(that isn't on fire) and then I can go from there. Will be buying a national forest map. I have a subaru forester as transportation.

Thanks for any help guys.

10-Jul-18
Sent you a pm

11-Jul-18
There will be deer from the sage up into the high basins above treeline.

There are some white tails along the Colorado and Blue rivers but that is primarily private land. There is some public access on both, but the odds would be slim to focus on white tails on public land.

Mule deer like the more open country - sage brush down low and tundra up high. A lot of the mule deer bucks tend to spend summers up high above treeline but some will stay down in the lower country year round.

I know that guys kill mule deer out of tree stands and blinds, but I have never tryed it. I use optics to find the deer I want and then stalk in to range to hopefully get a shot. Optics are critical - at a minimum you will want a good set of 8x or 10x binoculars. If you want to consistently find and have opportunities at bigger bucks, you will want a good spotting scope and tripod. You need to pay close attention to where every animal is and use your glass to plan your stalk route to get close. Make sure to pick every aspect of the route and a location to stop moving and set up for the shot.

Sounds like you are probably in decent hiking shape. That will help. Some of the basins I hunt require glassing from over a mile away. When a deer is spotted that I’m going to try a stalk on its over 1,000’ down an then another 1,000’ or more up to get into position.

You have to stay out of sight and have the wind right to get in close enough to get a shot. The high country winds are fickle. The general winds are out of the south west, but that changes due to weather fronts moving through and storms. Some things to watch for are how the wind shifts through the day. On a calmer day the winds will typically be down in the morning and evening but will shift 180 degrees when the surface starts warming to blow upslope - thermals.

Do not go rushing after the first buck you see. Slow down and watch everything going on in the area - where the deer are and how many plus any other wildlife or humans. Mule deer bucks typically travel in bachelor groups in the summer and early fall with up to 16 bucks or more in a general area. To make a good stalk, you need to know where they all are and be able to get in close without bumping one and blowing the whole basin.

Most of the time, bucks will bed out in the open early in the morning with a good vantage to see everything in their area. The bachelor group may be spread out over several hundred yards. I think they do this to get a good idea if anything is amiss in their basin. This is the time that I see most bowhunters blow the stalk - and the basin. If they catch a human moving in toward them, they will blow out - maybe over the ridge and into the next county and hunting unit.

As the sun moves up, they will move into thicker cover in willows or brush for the shade. They will lock down in those tight beds for most of the day. Many times there are holes that they have dished out over many years of bedding under the bushes. In those beds, they are almost invisible but those beds severely limit one of their keenest senses, their eyesight. That will help you to get in range.

If you have paid very close attention from your perch far far away, you can follow your stalk route to get into range of those bedded bucks. I prefer setting up at 20 yards or less. Use your binos as you sneak in and look for antler tips in the brush. Keep the wind in your favor. The thermals will typically hold until late in the day so that typically means getting above them. When they are in their beds, there is typically no shot with a bow.

You may have to wait a long time. Hours. Hopefully, you have not been dumb and left any of your gear (pack, boots, etc) a mile away on the side of the mountain.

Be ready. Keep an arrow knocked and pointed at your buck.

Shoot your buck when he stands up to feed.

Should about cover it. Good luck!

11-Jul-18
Good Job Treeline. Mule Deer 101 in one post! Thanks!

11-Jul-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

11-Jul-18

11-Jul-18

11-Jul-18

11-Jul-18
Yep, Paul’s excellent pictures illustrate why we climb those hills and give you something to dream about for the time when you aren’t up there in God’s country! Thanks, Paul!

11-Jul-18
Thanks for the torture session, Paul. :)

11-Jul-18

bedded buck in middle of photo
bedded buck in middle of photo
You are welcome. This is not me but I was setting next to this guy when he shot the buck.

11-Jul-18

hunt the buck brush
hunt the buck brush
all of the buck are not above tree line
all of the buck are not above tree line
but maybe below treeline a few hundred feet. Good luck
but maybe below treeline a few hundred feet. Good luck

11-Jul-18

Treeline, you have been here. An hour later I ended up in a cave out of the snow storm
Treeline, you have been here. An hour later I ended up in a cave out of the snow storm

11-Jul-18
Snow is not the problem, it’s the lightning that comes with it! The sparky stuff can get a bit unnerving up top for sure...

29-Aug-18
TTT

To reply to your recent question.

• Sitka Gear