skookumjt 17-Jul-18
ground hunter 17-Jul-18
skookumjt 18-Jul-18
ground hunter 18-Jul-18
RutnStrut 20-Jul-18
Tweed 23-Jul-18
Tweed 23-Jul-18
11-Jul-18
DNR enacted a baiting ban/feeding this year because of the cwd at the deer farm. I guess we will see if this stops many, I have passed some big piles on public land when scouting.

12-Jul-18
Lack of baiting and smaller deer numbers, along with other factors such as declining interest in hunting and fear of wolves, lions, and bears really dropped the hunter numbers in much of the north.

12-Jul-18
Again Missouri, thank you again for you NEW, clever input. Glad your well thought out contributions keep this forum going.

12-Jul-18
Ill be curious to how this supposed ban will effect deer movement.

Im kind of looking forward to it.

12-Jul-18
I am seeing more twins and triplet fawns this year than in the past up in Iron County. If they enforce the baiting laws like the do in Waupaca county, the deer will have plenty to eat. I see no reason to see any lower harvests with the new regulations. Maybe a few people will learn how to hunt....

12-Jul-18
People don't want to hunt anymore Mike, they want to Kill only.

12-Jul-18
"Lack of baiting and smaller deer numbers, along with other factors such as declining interest in hunting and fear of wolves, lions, and bears really dropped the hunter numbers in much of the north. "

I gotta ask Missouribreaks, being from "Montana" how do you know this? Must be that footnmouth disease you've come down with.

I know that hunting in Oconto county the baiting ban hasn't stopped hunters from baiting. Seems to have increased the baiting activity.

12-Jul-18
"Lack of baiting and smaller deer numbers, along with other factors such as declining interest in hunting and fear of wolves, lions, and bears really dropped the hunter numbers in much of the north. "

Oddly enough, I hunt up North and my near paralyzing fear of wolves, lions and bears doesn't seem to manifest itself... and my interest in hunting isn't declining... I would consider a lack of baiting to be an upshot... and, for me, the aesthetics of hunting the big woods compensate for smaller deer numbers up North.

Guess I'm just different.

12-Jul-18
it's the playbook....."we need a baiting and feeding ban".......they get a baiting and feeding ban........."EVERYONE still baits and feeds"

12-Jul-18
Stycks: "DNR enacted a baiting ban/feeding this year because of the cwd at the deer farm."

The CWD baiting/feeding ban law was enacted by the state legislature and signed by the governor. The DNR is required by law to implement that cwd baiting/feed ban. The DNR has no choice.

13-Jul-18
Tweed, When Waushara count when baitless (may years ago). I saw a lot of deer, early seadon, the year the ban took effect. I think because they had to find a new source of food and also because hunter that year figured without bait they would wait until the rut.

13-Jul-18
Awesome!

13-Jul-18
."EVERYONE still baits and feeds"

If you know where people are illegally baiting and don't turn them in, you are part of the problem.

14-Jul-18
I just got back from trout fishing, (mostly in MI), but there was a lot of talk, on the other side of the Brule, about no baiting in Florence County. There were a few guys who were really happy, that it occurred. It will be interesting to see, how it plays out in the fall.................

I agree with Rut, but in reality, enforcement will be hard to enforce, so hunters will be on the honor system...

I will not be up there for the rut, but will be for late season. Early season I trout fish, for the most part with afternoon sits. I will monitor myself, some notorious baiters, who are at the same spots every year, and see, if they will be back this year.......

It now stands, no baiting for the entire NE area, Vilas Forest, Florence and Marinette

14-Jul-18
Living and hunting in Rock County, and having experienced the no baiting law for quite some time, I can honestly say that very few people risk getting caught. I had a neighbor get caught by another neighbor over a hunting dispute, and let's just say, the wardens did not take it lightly. I simply don't hear about it enough to even consider it a problem. Those that do it, typically break all the rules, so baiting is the least of your problems. You will slowly notice a change in the deer's patterns, and will see how deer naturally forage from acorns to alfalfa fields. Don't forget though. The farmers with the food, or bait plotters are going to draw deer no differently that a bait pile, and maybe even more profound than you say with a small pile of corn? I would count around 21 doe on average every evening in the alfalfa field I hunted early last year. That field has been replaced with corn used for silage, so I will see 300% less deer this year versus last. I won't plot, but many people get irritated by changes like this, and will plant an attractant that acts no differently than a pile of corn. Although I follow the food sources, I truly follow the does bedding areas, because (for me), that's where the bucks are nosing around during the rut.

14-Jul-18
I remember when I was at "upnorths" archery shop years ago, and he said, one thing, I never forgot. He said, when they ban baiting, for the average guy, the food plots are really going to draw deer....................

So I would agree, if you own private land in Florence County, and have food plots, your going to draw in a lot of deer, no question about that. However I am not against the food plots, and I will tell you why......

Private land owners, want to shoot deer, sure and why not, but when private land improves their own properties, it helps out the entire area, and even the public land that surrounds that property. Land owners put in a lot of time, sweat and hard work, to make their land better, and that is a win win for sure........

14-Jul-18
I am sure a lot of minerals are already out, and have been since spring

14-Jul-18
I am sure there are going to be a lot of food plots put in, in August,,,,,,,,,

15-Jul-18
Winter rye planted in August is an excellent deer attractant. "No baiting" heavily favors the private land owners.

16-Jul-18

Missouribreaks's Link

16-Jul-18
It doesn't sound like they shot them, as ordered. I would think they could have shot from the chopper.

17-Jul-18
I believe that baiting in the state will continue to dwindle, due to cwd being found on farms, and eventually, it will all be gone. Good or bad, unless you own private land, and you like to hunt over bait, your out of luck, since the food plots will really draw them in. It is a fact.

I know of one guy, who hunts by my cabin, on the Wis side, and I give him a lot of credit. He gets out on his wheel chair, from his van, than unloads his atv, and takes that in the woods, he is restricted to hunt on fire lanes. He made a blind with pvc that fits on his wheeler. He loves to use apples at this spot.

He will hunt legal, he is a class act, but I do not think he is spreading CWD, nor do I think a warden, would really bother him......... I told him I would help him get a deer out at anytime, I am up.............. guys like that are screwed, when it comes to baiting,,,,,,

Of course he will be restricted, but those deer farm lobbys will be taken care of,,,,,,

Like stepping on a ant

17-Jul-18
I completely disagree. Someone who owns private property and manages it well, doesn't over pressure it, and maintains reasonable deer numbers will obviously have better hunting than nearly every piece of public land. That doesn't mean those landowners will have all the deer confined to their properties. The improved habitat will benefit adjacent properties-both public and private. Deer however will still be everywhere on the landscape to whatever the carrying capacity, comfort level, and population there is.

People act like food plots fence deer in and ensure no deer will be found anywhere else.

17-Jul-18
so I can have my food plots, but this poor guy can not put out some apples...... what a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

18-Jul-18
Maybe Bernie Sanders can help with your cause.

18-Jul-18
yeah that's a good answer, I think a disabled guy putting out some apples is not a big threat,,,, I will just leave it and move on....... I mean how selfish can we as private landowners be,,,,,,

20-Jul-18
"so I can have my food plots, but this poor guy can not put out some apples...... what a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

I agree with you in a way GH. But you should know that laws are black and white, the grey area is up to those that enforce them.

23-Jul-18
Fred Bear would be a food plotter/ habitat improver today.

23-Jul-18
Both

Fred did amazing things for archery hunting but he was by no means all about "the hard way".

His old videos are some of my favorite to watch (thanks GroundHunter)

• Sitka Gear