Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
Moons22 12-Jul-18
getting old 12-Jul-18
spike78 12-Jul-18
TT-Pi 12-Jul-18
Moons22 13-Jul-18
12-Jul-18
So I was given an old 16 gauge bolt action shotgun. H&R gamester model 349, with an adjustable choke on the end of the barrel. Question is would you/could I throw slugs through this thing? Manufactured in the early 50's. I have the savage 20 gauge slug gun so I'm not too worried about it, just kind of wanted to shoot it/let someone who doesn't have a shotgun use it. I have shot 6 shot through it and it shoots fine. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

12-Jul-18
I seem to remember a recall on bolt action shotguns some years age. Don't recall the manufacturer. Slam firing maybe ??????? Would look into it.

12-Jul-18
I wouldn’t

12-Jul-18
Moons , I did a little looking. One thing to be concerned with is the bolt stop screw. Be sure it's reapplied after cleaning. It is there as a safety apparently. I believe this was the reason for the recall. Someone forgot the stop and the bolt kissed his eye I would think it was also not fully locked in ??? As for slugs, the post copied below was found. (This is someone else's experience and not advice )

If I was to shoot a slug (rifled) for the first time, I would probably have a few layers of safety between my precious eyes and the bang thing.

Re: H&R model 349 Gamester I'm old enough to remember shooting one of these. As I remember they really delivered the goods. They were as good as any with birdshot, And definitely minute of deer out to 60 yds or so with rifled slugs. As young men ,we all gave it our ,"Hey ! This gun is alright." It functioned without a hitch and shot where it's crude sighting system pointed. We never looked for much beyond that.

13-Jul-18
Okay thanks for the responses guys. Pi, I did a little research myself and found mostly forum posts and ads trying to sell the gun for 75 bucks lol. I'm going to bring it to the local gun shop and see what they have to say before I do anything with it. Thanks again. Deer season boys, it's right around the corner!...

• Sitka Gear