Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
EBow10 12-Jul-18
TT-Pi 12-Jul-18
Proline 12-Jul-18
stillhunter 13-Jul-18
12-Jul-18

EBow10's Link
So I know a lot of guys that refer to this act for fishing from shore and accessing areas on rocks/beaches behind private property. Which pretty much states if your in the tidal zone and you were able to access it without crossing over private property it is considered state land and available to the public. Anyways upon reading it further it got me thinking. Last year I did a lot of hunting by way of kayak. On the north shore z10 there are so many town bi laws and private property owners restricting hunting. So reading this got me thinking and wanted to see other people’s input and thoughts on this. What I think I’m reading is any freshwater river that receives any state funding up stream or down which I believe could be something such as trout stocking is state land open to the public. Which as long as your in between the high and low marks of the river is state property and can be accessed by the public as long as your not getting to this area by trespassing on private property. So if this is the case would it be legal to hunt in this area since it would be considered state land and not town land if there is a bi law in this town? I know mass law has so many grey areas and with rules and regulations that make it at times difficult to disyfer but just wanted to know peoples thoughts and what they think.

12-Jul-18
Good question ... I like the line of thought. However, I would presume that you are not allowed to shoot "into the land "of the other (in this case town). That said, it is possible that you could shoot a deer in that slim buffer zone and make your case... maybe.

More likely there is some fine print somewhere that would pounce on you like Jack the Ripper.

12-Jul-18
I think the could find better spots to hunt with less confrontational issues.

13-Jul-18
I bevieve your interpretation is correct assuming you and the deer are both standing in the water and your not shooting out of a boat. I do alot of water access hunting in my kayak, personally I think the ability to use the river as a unique access route is the real advatage. I mostly hunt state or town property but Im the only one paddling in from down wind. Interesting thought thou I have considered it my self.

• Sitka Gear