goelk 15-Jul-18
Jaquomo 15-Jul-18
Paul@thefort 15-Jul-18
Paul@thefort 15-Jul-18
JLeMieux 15-Jul-18
goelk 15-Jul-18
JLeMieux 16-Jul-18
13-Jul-18
Hey everyone! Today I went to the shop to get myself some arrows for my setup. I talked with the guys and for what I want we agreed for a 340 spine. So I got 30-inch arrows with a 340 spine. My draw length is 28.5 but I want these arrows to last if that changes. Anyway, then they took my bow and said that the draw weight is 46lb. I got a little sad but I was able to fire at least a hundred shots today. Do you think with my current setup I can kill an elk at 40 yards? I'm thinking that 50 is the max. The arrow weighs 446 grains. Thanks, everyone!

13-Jul-18
yes shot placement is the key when bow is tune

13-Jul-18
And I was thinking 40 is max for bear because their hides are thick.

13-Jul-18
Shoot shoot and shoot some more, get proficient and tight groups.. By the time season starts, you could very well be at 50 lb draw weight. your max distance is going to depend on your ability, confidence and comfortably at any distance you shoot

13-Jul-18
You should shoot those arrows through paper before you get too far into it. 340 is pretty stiff spine for your setup.

13-Jul-18
I second jaquomo arrows are to stiff and to long hope you went to Real Archery shop

13-Jul-18
The paper is perfect. It's a clean pass.

13-Jul-18
Bears do not have thick hides. Thick hair yes, but not hide.

13-Jul-18
Oh, ok. So 50 max on bear also?

14-Jul-18

Ski & Skin's Link
Yes you can kill an elk, deer, moose or bear

How much weight do you have up front? I have 340's with 200 grains up front 28" 26" draw total arrow of 526 grains. Heres a gold tip chart.

Heres a copy past calculator http://backcountrybowhunting.com/calculator/

14-Jul-18
I think your arrows are light. Add some weight up front, IMO. Go shoot em with broadheads at all the distances you intend to shoot. Charts and calculators are Handy tools but the proof is in the pudding.

14-Jul-18
I shoot 400 with 250 grains broadhead total arrow weight is 590 gr at 28" arrow lenght 26.5 draw

14-Jul-18
Rick, what is your draw weight? And are you sure you are using a "250" gr BH?

He is only pulling 46#. I shoot a 28.5 inch Gold Tip 340 spine, 125 bh with a 12 brass collar, total weight, 492 grs from a 64# compound.

I agree with other, the 340 spine seems too stiff but then..........................................

14-Jul-18
What is so bad about a stiff arrow?

14-Jul-18
Nothing IF you are experiencing excellent arrow flight, not just good paper tuning holes.

15-Jul-18
Arrow spine performance is relative to many factors. For instance. A 400 spine 28" arrow is rated for a range of "55-75" pounds from a compound" but you can compensate for an overly stiff shaft by putting more weight up front and shooting a full-length arrow. A 500 shaft is rated for 35-55# and you are shooting in the 40s. So unless you have an EFOC setup (extreme Front-Of-Center balance point) a 340 is way out of spec. An overspined shaft won't recover from paradox quickly and penetration will suffer.

I'm surprised the shop guys set you up with 340s in the first place. But carbons are pretty forgiving and can be tinkered in a variety of ways. Did you paper-tune with bare shaft or fletched?

For everything else you mention, I helped a 64year old lady on a moose hunt with a 46# longbow and 450 grain arrows. Her arrows flew like darts and she got full penetration shooting a 140 grain 2 blade broadhead. I don't know what spine her wood shafts were but they flew true. So yes, your bow will be fine if the package flies like a dart with no wobble.

15-Jul-18
TColooutdoors

If the arrows are too stiff you don't get that snap and they will fish tail. The arrow should bend vertically and snap back to line. A recurve should bend horizontally and then snap back to line.

Now if your talking about you hopes of a stiff arrow? You need the blue pill!!! :)

15-Jul-18
Paul my draw weight is more than Daniel drawing a 60 pound recurve at 26.5". Im on the border of either 340 or 400 spine arrow. It was determ that 400 was the better arrow.

15-Jul-18
Paul my draw weight is more than Daniel drawing a 60 pound recurve at 26.5" and a 250 gr cutthroat broadhead.Im on the border of either 340 or 400 spine arrow. It was determ that 400 was the better arrow. The point is if it shoots well go with it.

15-Jul-18
It was paper tuned with fletchings and it was perfect. When I was shooting the bow it was flying strait. The fishtail I only noticed it once but it was my mistake. The arrows, in my opinion, fly pretty good. Also for low poundage is a fixed BH with 2 blades or 3 blades better. Thanks!

15-Jul-18
2 blades will penetrate better, 3 blades give a better blood trail. You might compromise and go with a 2 blade with bleeders.

15-Jul-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
sharp 3 bld
sharp 3 bld
I agree with 3 blades as a better blood trail A two blade BH only makes an inline straight cut and can plug up quickly, ie, no blood trail. Even a 2 blade with bleeders maybe a marginal BH., has been my experience unless perfect shot placement which we all hope for.

15-Jul-18

3 bld
3 bld

15-Jul-18
TCO, are you familiar with broadhead turning? I highly recommend it prior to hunting. Buy a pack of broadheads with a large cutting diameter and/or large blade surface area. I keep some Muzzy Phantoms to use for this. You don't have to use that same brand or model broadhead to hunt with.

Also, I have heard good reports from folks with lower poundages (mostly trad bows) using single bevel 2 blade broadheads. They get the penetration of the 2 blade with an added dimension to the cut. From what I've read the cut is more like an "S" shape than a straight line.

15-Jul-18
What is broad head turning?

15-Jul-18
shoot the broad head you plan to shoot instead of field points while tuning.

15-Jul-18
Oh ok, any other bh recommendations?

16-Jul-18
Sorry, I meant tuning. I'll post a link this evening to some instructions if someone doesn't beat me to it.

• Sitka Gear