Bloodtrail 01-Aug-18
buckmaster69 01-Aug-18
Bloodtrail 01-Aug-18
ArchersQuest 02-Aug-18
TrapperJack2 03-Aug-18
Bloodtrail 03-Aug-18
14-Jul-18

ArchersQuest's Link
Wardens taking over responsibility for all LE in state parks is causing issues.

14-Jul-18
Another fine legacy of Cathy Stepp.

14-Jul-18
Glunker +1

14-Jul-18
LOL! That darn Scott Walker.

14-Jul-18
“Our” lakes are not “Canadians’”.... Just an FYI, toolbox.

14-Jul-18
I talked to Walker when he was running for office & he agreed that the DNR needed fixing & he would get it done . Yea sure .

14-Jul-18
Are you sure your name is Joe Dirt? Hides are haters er dey?

14-Jul-18
Mr. Dirt,

Yes, Wisconsin has it's share of issues, along with the rest of the United States. Until you start paying taxes here and voting on who makes the budgets, and runs things, please keep your nose out of our mess. You have enough of them up there north of the border....

It doesn't matter where you are from, but it does matter where you live and are registered to vote. For instance, I can not vote on any issues that affect my hunting in Canada and by your profile you don't have a vote on who writes the budgets, sets the hunting rules, etc. here in Wisconsin

Oh, and BTW, I am not Duke, and he is not me,

14-Jul-18
Dirtnapper, your master baiting is showing.

15-Jul-18
Do not confuse paying taxes with residency and voting. Many hunters live elsewhere but own land in Wisconsin and pay taxes, however they cannot vote. They still have valid concerns on the laws governing Wisconsin and the land they own.

15-Jul-18
And the the non res buy resident tags cause they feel entitled . Lots of cars registered in Florida down here but they live here in WI 9 month out if the year. Hmmm... Walkers fault again... HA!

15-Jul-18
Mr. Buckjabber, could it be you are not REALLY from Canada? Why not just use your real identity? Why hide in the weeds? What are you afraid of?

As for the original posted topic - the warden reallocation is trouble for the parks and for wildlife enforcement in general. Wardens are going to spend too much time driving to and from parks. I think that the group 'Sportsman for Scott Walker' will be underfunded and without much support during this falls election cycle. Just like he is leaving the DNR, underfunded and without support.

15-Jul-18
Of course he's not from Canada. He's a phony

15-Jul-18
I agree with the DNR being undermined. It has been close to gutted. Yes I like my lower property taxes but I don't like what has happened to a once looked up to DNR. Wisconsin's model was once admired throughout the US and has been brought down to a crying shame.

15-Jul-18
If in fact WI is "brought down"; money and greed and laziness did it, not Walker. Admired by who?Other state employees? Find me a political entity that wont follow money????

No disrespect but I find it funny that majority of posters are or were State employees?

Walker will surely get my vote as this state has never been better fiscally and I'm sorry but although extremely important to me, hunting and the outdoors isn't everything. IMO Most unions don't like him for one reason only and I working with the union everyday am glad he did what he did. I'm sure there are a great many State employees that work hard for their pay. But I'm also very very sure there are senior employees that don't work and protected for their laziness. I can share a ton of grievances I have attended that were a joke to even bring to a grievance only to lose and paying that employee. Again, I mean no disrespect to anyone in particular.

15-Jul-18
Pasq, you make much sense. Congrats on a well reasoned response.

15-Jul-18
Such large concerns for a person that passes 16 yr old booners in Canada!!! Worded like a true blue Wisconsin resident.

15-Jul-18
We need huntin seasob to get here . :-)

15-Jul-18
Buttjabber does not consume farmed products? What the heck does he think they make his beer and whiskey from?

16-Jul-18
The cities dump raw sewage in Lake Michigan every rainfall. Two city drains smell like gasolive dumping in Mich every day with a slick looking like Valdez surrounding it. I posted pics of the Kenosha Harbor completely buried in trash floating.

Scotty must be dumping his neighbors trash in the water also? To much trash for one man. Very very Canadian like response. Happy Hunting to everyone.

16-Jul-18
Back to topic DNR = all about money.

Suggestion on AG looked into = all about money.

Amazon killing smaller stores and sending them out of business= all about money

Canada legalizing weed = all about money

Buckjabber = someone that uses other name with identical IP addresses. (Russians tipped me off)

16-Jul-18
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel holds about as much credibility as CNN. Not Much. Very hard to trust a source that is known for only giving one side of the story. The Journal will do everything possible to paint a negative picture on Scott Walker or any other republican for that matter. If this was a democrat do this, they would tout it as nothing but great. Like it was stated above in the thread, all about money.

16-Jul-18
Lol except that JS has endorsed Walker.

16-Jul-18
Not to mention how this hurts the resources as our Wardens are off being "Park Police", does anyone realize the money that is being spent here?

Overtime and travel expenses...not to mention lodging?

This is so unbelievable.

So, lets get rid of our State Park Rangers. Oppps!!! Now who's going to patrol our parks?

I got it!!

Conservation Wardens....they don't have much to do anyways!!

This State would be BIG money ahead, if someone had enough sense to fund Park patrols through local Sheriff's Offices in the State. When everyone is "off-duty" in the Parks and there is a call for service - who answers it? Sheriff's Office!! Hello!

Granted, not every Sheriff's Office has the personnel, but the few that don't could be supplemented with WDNR wardens if need be.

This would be a HUGE savings and free up the Wardens to do the job we expect them to do, protecting the fine folks of WI and our Natural Resources!

16-Jul-18
Correct they did in 2011 or 2012, but I am pretty positive they have not since. If I am wrong, then i am wrong. None the less I do not put much trust into JS.

16-Jul-18
I've voted for Walker 3 times. I think he's been tremendous with the state fiscally. I love what he did with public vs private and the unions. People should have to contribute to their own retirement and do their jobs well to maintain them.

I do think he's been terrible though in regard to hunting. He was the one that signed xbows into law even though the "Sportsmen for Walker" voted against them every time. Money won. But then again, the resident know-it-all who is infatuated with wearing women's skirts took personal financial gains over the wishes of the people he represented and voted for crossbows too. One would expect a politician to take the cash. Money won.

I agree with much that has been listed in regard to our lakes, rivers, and streams here.

I'll vote for Walker again due to the financial reasons unless I would be wowed by someone else focusing on the natural resources, hunting, fishing, etc, in WI.

16-Jul-18
Happster, peeking from behind your wifes dress again? Don't be so scared. As a self-admitted non-hunter, stick to subjects you might have some knowledge about.

16-Jul-18
…it's blatantly a misappropriation of our tax dollars... Gabber, "our" tax dollars? Does Gov Walker send you folks in Canada a tax bill? We know from when you called yourself masterbaiter that you "claimed" to have sold your land so what taxes do you Canadians pay to WI? I know I should not respond to you but you are such a BS'er and liar that it is hard to not continually expose you. And, you make it so easy!

16-Jul-18
You are the “master” baiter.

16-Jul-18
State parks do not generate enough income to support the policing of the parks?

24-Jul-18
Pasquinell: "Back to topic DNR = all about money."

The DNR still operates on a fixed budget set by the legislature. Increased license, trail, and camping fees do not effect the DNR operating budget. The DNR has never been about money, but the legislature sure is.

24-Jul-18
Not only are you uneducated in archery Saskatchewan wanna be, you are also uneducated in politics. That's the last response you will get from me on any of your comments. You've proven yourself to be just a trolling pot stirrer that needs to ride off into the sunset. Go read some books and come back when you can add value please.

24-Jul-18
He's not a hunter. He's not from Saskatchewan. He's not from Canada. Hes right here in our state. He's a troll, an anti, and a lot of guys are here tuggin on the crap he throws. I wish everyone could just let some people talk the bull they do and not respond back. It would really save a lot of wasted space on most of these threads.

25-Jul-18
Buckjabbor is correct. IMO, taxpayers fund way too much agriculture.

25-Jul-18
And, much of the subsidies go to the least productive farmers who are not important in the grand scheme of productivity. Let those who cannot operate an ag business fail, someone else will farm their ground if it is productive.

25-Jul-18
Your buying ice cream?

25-Jul-18
Oooos wrong thread

25-Jul-18
Only after the third when the mailman brings his entitlement.

25-Jul-18
Nocturnal - Hit the nail on head!! Been ignoring this fool for a long time! Brings nothing to the table other than arguments and foolishness.

28-Jul-18
Capt Mike - I think the State Parks do generate enough money, but upkeep and daily expenses are pretty intense I would imagine - but again funneling some of that cash to local Sheriff's patrols would be a great step in the right direction.

29-Jul-18
I think getting rid of the Ranger program was a big mistake. It served a good purpose, and not only gave the opportunity for a career, it also allowed a lot of internships, for those looking to go into an outdoor career, or some type of LE work........

The people using the parks were insured of a quick response for safety issues, if they arise. also a lot of mundane work, that needed to be completed on a daily basis, to keep the parks running well was accomplished. Presently it is a morale killer for wardens, and I for one, would not no part of it, as a full time warden.

I understand, BT point, but I was on a panel once, on this topic, and the Sheriff Dept, just do not have the manpower, but always would respond if needed for a crisis situation.........

I think in the long run, the savings they are going to see, are not worth it. Also they need to start over on their reorganization, it is not working.

On the other hand, the job of state park rangers is also not to be heavy handed either, and public relations and social skills is a must, when dealing with campers etc, and also a ranger was a representative of the state. If I was in charge, I would have run the ranger program, a little different, because it needed some tweaking......

I think a change will come, how that will come I have no idea, but they killed a good program. I would have just reorganized the ranger program, and I would save money, I would give good service, and the rangers would be well thought of, if I was in charge.

29-Jul-18
Full time Rangers are expensive and they only have so much authority.

The Ranger Program in this State had suffered for a long time and was an accident waiting to happen. Poor management and lack of authoritative control haunted the program for years. Many good men and women served in that capacity and moved on to better jobs and a more stable environment.

We use LTE Sheriff's deputies for general road patrol, parks and recreational enforcement (ATV/Snowmobile/Boat) - they do it all.

Sheriff's Departments that don't have the funding? The funding is paid for by the State of Wisconsin for recreational programs.

LTE staff works at a smaller wage scale and there are no benefits included in the package - so you, the Wisconsin taxpayer, do get a bigger bang for your buck. County taxpayers benefit as well because often, full time shift work can be filled with an LTE for sick leave or vacation. Full timers love it, they get the much needed time off, taxpayers benefit as they protection is still there and they get a price break. The employee only wants a part time job and is able to make the hours fit into his/her schedule.

Most every Sheriff's Office has an LTE program or "Reserve" unit and many folks out there would love the hours and experience.

The State would reimburse for hours and mileage on squads. They would fund any equipment needed to facilitate enforcement in State parks as well.

Currently, the State WDNR funds and reimburses Sheriff's Offices across the State for Boat Patrol, ATV Patrol and Snowmobile Patrol. Why not parks?

There isn't any reason why they cannot and should not reimburse for park patrols!

Taking full time Conservation Wardens and putting them in a park is ....(I'll hold my tongue).

Ground Hunter, I would have loved to have been on the panel you spoke of!

30-Jul-18
LTE's suck. They are often a waste of taxpayer money. A vast majority of them are cheap labor with no experience. Our local LTE's will rarely even make a traffic stop.

31-Jul-18
GoJakesGo: How are they a waste of money? They are paid less than full-time employees and they get ZERO benefits but fill the gap when needed. If people aren't doing their job (not making stops) is either poor supervision or that's what they are told to do "be available for calls".

31-Jul-18
GoJakesGo - - "A vast majority of them are cheap labor with no experience." Really? We currently have 10 employed and not one of them "suck" and are outstanding men and women.

Well trained and skilled at law enforcement. Each one graduates from the academy and is State certified. Each one has a minimum (at LEAST) (State Required) 60 college credits. (Several have 4 year degrees)

On top of that....each one, EACH one has completed a 12 week FTO (Field Training Officer) program. Not everyone makes that!

Our major trouble is keeping hold of them. They become quite marketable and sometimes leave for full time employment.

Some of our LTE staff is retired sheriff's deputies, retired Local PD and State Troopers - and you said "no experience?" Some are retired full time that have come back to make some extra cash! No Experience - Your kidding right?

I have been around a long time. Every LTE or "Reserve" program I have come across has been "cracker jack". I have been impressed with programs in Eau Claire County and Cark County especially. Waukesha County had a excellent program as well. I couldn't tell the full timers from the part timers.

GoJakesGo...I don't know what County your speaking of, but if your so unimpressed and distraught to say someone "sucks" - perhaps you should have a "chit-chat" with your local Sheriff? Perhaps ask why his program operates in "your" opinion so poorly? I would think as a "taxpayer" you would like to see your money well spent?

Overall, the LTE/Reserve units I have encountered have been "top notch".

Dedicated men and woman doing an important job for not nearly enough pay OR recognition!

The State could SAVE money by tapping into this resource!

Shaking my head!

31-Jul-18
Stinky -

Ya make a good point!

I'm thinking poor management. BUT, they could be just fielding calls....

31-Jul-18
I have no experience with LE LTE’s but I do know the LTE program with the DNR is a nice stepping stone for college kids to gain some experience in their field while earning some money and fulfilling needed activities that would otherwise take time away from full time employees.

31-Jul-18
I haven’t visited here in a long time, possibly years, some of the names have changed but the conversations and personalities are all the same!! ;-)

31-Jul-18
Captain - Good point!

Years ago, management came up with the idea that they would disband the LTE program in our County. As I recall apparently it was allegedly to cumbersome and thought we could cover it with OT.

Needless to say, that didn't last long at all.

It was a short amount of time that lapsed and bingo bongo, were back at the LTE program filling shifts on the road, jail and communications.

FINALLY, the WDNR is seeing this as a benefit as they are now advertising for "Deputy Warden" around that State, PT people with law enforcement credentials that assist the fulltime Warden with his/her duties, freeing up that Warden for more important issues.

Of course, then we decide to put them in the Parks.

Shaking my head!

01-Aug-18
I think wardens used to utilize part time help that they referred to as “specials.”

01-Aug-18
Captain - "Specials" = Old School. Correct. "Deputy Warden" is the current term used to describe part time Warden. Waukesha County used to have "Special Deputy" status years ago as well.

01-Aug-18
I guess my age is showing!

01-Aug-18

skookumjt's Link
Imagine my surprise... At least they admitted the problem and changed course.

01-Aug-18
Speaks pretty highly of any political body to admit a mistake and change course.

01-Aug-18
Well that didn't last long - Thank the good Lord and Greyhound!

The scary part is it was such and OBVIOUS failure who in the hell would have signed on to that?

Well lets see what happens.

Part of the BIG problem was State Forest managers were in charge of the Rangers.

Now the Department has the chance to restructure and fix what was broken so we do not go back to our old ways!

The managers had absolutely NO idea about anything to do with law enforcement and they supervised these people. Hello?

Hopefully they restructure that so a LE person oversees a "district" or area and we don't go back to our old ways!

Wardens can get back to what they now do best - protecting our natural resources!

01-Aug-18
Keep the political crap where it belongs..... in the gutter.

01-Aug-18
buckmaster +1

02-Aug-18
Bloodtrail, I agree, it's scary it got this far down the tracks. I would add to your "thank the good Lord and Greyhound" a tip of the cap to Paul Smith at the MJS. He did fine work on this and I'm sure it resulted in the swift action by top state officials to get a correction in place. I've heard many wardens around the state, and probably now park rangers too, are thanking him.

03-Aug-18

TrapperJack2's Link
Wisconsin DNR to reinstate park rangers http://www.waow.com/story/38804359/2018/08/03/wisconsin-dnr-to-reinstate-park-rangers

03-Aug-18
Archer - Yes, I too think Mr. Smith was definitely a driving force in this. We have wasted too much time and money on this terrible idea.

Hopefully we will move forward and develop as well as "maintain", a Ranger program that is effective, managed properly and a huge benefit to the recreating pubic!

• Sitka Gear