Contributors to this thread:
stillhunter 15-Jul-18
Murphy31 15-Jul-18
Huntskifishcook 15-Jul-18
Belchertown Bowman 15-Jul-18
Cougar 15-Jul-18
stillhunter 15-Jul-18
15-Jul-18
With a bad lack of rain, its starting to become clear that at least in my neck of the woods (Ashby) its going to be a low food mast year. It first caught my attention when I realized most of the small apples on my trees had fallen off. so I've been checking nuts and it isn't much better. the white and red oaks in higher elevation away from water are mostly bare. the black oaks have some nuts but smaller than usual. the hickory nuts are ok but a lot have fallen early, I haven't checked the beeches yet thou most grow in dry soil anyway. Im curios if guys are seeing the same. I am well aware of the off years of nut production but I have covered a lot of ground and you don't need to get far from the rivers and swamps to see a serious drop of in mast around hear. for me its an advantage, but for the deer could make for a hard winter.

15-Jul-18
No apples, but that's no surprise with the April we had. White oaks I've seen look real good. Full of nuts

15-Jul-18
I was looking up into the oaks with binos yesterday, they seem to be doing alright in my area of Z10. Not sure about apples, but wild blueberries, both low and high bush, are loaded. The woods were covered with blueish/purpleish scat yesterday.

15-Jul-18
Cougar and I saw a heavy damage to oak tops just south of the Quabbin scouting today. Gypsy moths bad,..

Saw on local weather last week most of mass is in a mild drought.

We also saw a 6 pointer and watched him for 5 minutes or so with binocs,.. Cougar says he will be an 8 by fall,..

15-Jul-18

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
beech were raining em down in some spots... and the blueberries are loaded around here

15-Jul-18
Hickery

• Sitka Gear