Tekoa 16-Jul-18
Jebediah 16-Jul-18
Jebediah 16-Jul-18
Proline 16-Jul-18
Jebediah 16-Jul-18
Jebediah 22-Jul-18
BC 22-Jul-18
16-Jul-18
Have a new spot this year which requires that I park and walk close to a certain house. I have written permission for all aspects of this—parking, walking, and hunting. Do I stop in at this house and introduce myself? Do I touch base beforehand with local police, assuming these folks are going to have a gripe with me? Or do I just leave well enough alone and hope for the best? Thanks for any opinions. This is in eastern MA.

16-Jul-18
Do you know anything about the people? good, bad, or ugly? if anyone knows them and they are reasonable, it can't hurt.... but you never know.

16-Jul-18
Ask whoever gave you permission if they know the people to get a feel for them. Maybe they will let them know so they don’t suspect anything. Me personally I would go scouting and if I saw them outside I would wave and may even approach them depending on the situation. Sometimes mentioning that so and so gave you permission they are just happy knowing what’s going on and your not some criminal. Now if it’s a tree hugger your screwed lol.

16-Jul-18
I would send them a quick note in the mail explaining that I had permission to hunt the land (and include the name of the land owner who gave me permission) and that I just wanted them to know I would be parking and walking near their house when going into the woods. I would provide my name and contact information and offer to speak with them on the phone, or even stop by their house to meet them, if they would like that. I would also describe my vehicle, including the license plate number.

16-Jul-18
I would do as spike mentioned. Scout it a few times and you happen to see them when you come or go i'd introduce myself and let them know. Other than that I dont go looking for trouble. If you have permission to hunt the land that's all you need. Get it in writing and take a picture of it with your cellphone.

16-Jul-18
If you think you'll definitely run into them during the season, I'd try to approach them prior to the opener. The conversation will be much easier without wearing a camo and a weapon in your hand, just my opinion.

16-Jul-18
Jimbo wins in my opinion,.. requiures them to work to deny it or resist it. Its sorta like I am going to do this and if you wish to speak to me about it,.. that is up to you.

I like that one

16-Jul-18
Jeb, I usually have good results talking directly with people. If that is easy for you then approach the homeowner. Have your permission on hand and bring a pen to jot down their names and exchange info if they want that but start by explaining that you will occasionally be parked on so and so's land to walk the woods. If they are satisfied with that, you're done. If they are bothered, you could offer more information or say I just wanted to put your concerns at ease. You don't need to talk about hunting but if there is no escape then you can always say I have permission to use the land for legal purposes and may be hunting it this year. If they get snippy or go "anti-nutty" remind them that harassment is illegal please respect the landlord's boundaries and rights.

16-Jul-18
Send the landowner a ham at Christmas, or some lobsters in the summer. That goes a long way with maintaining a good relationship.

16-Jul-18
Tough call. It isn't rare that permission gets canceled because neighbors complained so much. Personally I would not approach them ahead of time. If they are decent and reasonable they will still be that way during the season. If not they are not why risk it ahead of time. You'll get a few hunts in no matter what. Tekoa

16-Jul-18
Thanks for all the perspectives, very valuable.

16-Jul-18
I think I’m leaning toward “leave well enough alone.” Contacting them risks giving the impression that I’m seeking approval, which could cause more problems than it solves. Plus, I’ve got the Audubon sticker on the truck. I should be fine.

16-Jul-18
Do yourself a favor. If you want talk to them, though it sounds like you are leaning not, scout the land a couple times first and make sure you seeing land you want to hunt. If it's not a good spot ur out of there.

16-Jul-18
Oh yes, it’s huntable, have walked it a couple times. Also don’t have a lot of options. If it’s ground that will support the weight of a deer, I’ll hunt it.

22-Jul-18
So I have decided to let sleeping dogs lie with this. Was out there again the other day, and particularly with the leaves on the trees, I think it will be OK.

22-Jul-18
If you have permission and you’re legal, hunt it. If you run into the neighbor during the season tell him what’s up and offer him some venison. If you don’t see him, just as well.

• Sitka Gear