onX Maps
While we are waiting #2
Utah
Contributors to this thread:
Bushman 17-Jul-18
bow_dude 17-Jul-18
17-Jul-18
I was watching an archery elk hunting show on the OD channel. The hunter was in New Mexico. He said that last year he had only practiced shooting out to 50 yards and couldn't get any good shot opportunities. He said this year he had practiced shooting at 80 yards and thought it would pay off. As for me I believe the longer the shot, the more opportunity for something to go wrong. I don't carry a range finder and I can judge pretty good out to 30 yards. I did shoot one bull that was 41 steps but everything seemed perfect with a bright clear path for arrow flight. 90% of my kills have been around 20 yards. I'm thinking this guy should have practiced his ground game more and figured out how to get the bulls closer or stalk in for a closer shot. I don't sleep well if I wound an animal. Your thoughts?

17-Jul-18
I carry a range finder and I range everything. I figure if I don't have time to range it, it is too jumpy and I should not be shooting. My single pin sight has settings out to 180 yards, but my self imposed shooting maximum is generally 50 yards, I may at times go 60 if I can't get closer, but generally stay at 50 or less.

• Sitka Gear