gobbler 20-Jul-18
KOOGIE 20-Jul-18
gobbler 21-Jul-18
Lone Eagle 21-Jul-18
KOOGIE 23-Jul-18
KOOGIE 23-Jul-18
18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
I joined an Association in the mid-west in 2007, taken some nice bucks. 2 years ago my brother, Cliff, joined. This is his second buck in Kansas.
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
I joined an Association in the mid-west in 2007, taken some nice bucks. 2 years ago my brother, Cliff, joined. This is his second buck in Kansas.
Just wanted to show some pics of deer I've taken over the last 18 years or so, hope you like them. I've been bow hunting since the early 80's, strictly bow since 96. I'm originally from WV, born in Ronceverte. My father was military so we bounced around the country and every time he was deployed over seas we'd move back to WV. My father retired in the late 70s but not before he moved us to Georgia when I was 14. After becoming an adult I made frequent trips back to WV to visit relatives and do some fly fishing. Currently, I bought an 80 farm in Monroe county to retire on and I'm in the midst of finishing my house which I hope to move in the next couple years or so.

Enjoy!!

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
My best buck to date, estimated around mid 160s. Had an encounter the previous year but could not take as I took my one buck two days prior. 30 yard shot, 15 yard recovery as the last light was fading away.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Another angle shows the length and mass.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
125" 10pt
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
125" 10pt
One I took in my third year. He came to a bleet, then spooked but could not resist getting past me. He circled at 18 yards and I sent one his way. The deer dipped and spun, ended up going thru the T-bone penetrating about 12 inches in to a lung. The more he ran, the more damage it was doing. Found in 250 yards away, no exit wound and no blood except 1 dime size spot 180 yards away.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
148" 10pt
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
148" 10pt
My previous best from 2009 or so. Passed him up but bleated and grunted him back to take a better look at him. 15 yard shot, 50 yard recovery. Bigger than I thought at first glance.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Another view.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
135", over 300 lbs
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
135", over 300 lbs
My first in the association, 20 yard shot 20 yard recovery. Massive deer though, had to buy a hand cart at the nearest hardware store, and he dwarfed it. Got him out though.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Another angle, and one of the few pics of me since I've mostly been a solo hunter the last 20 years.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
In 2000, my cousin from Nicholas county got out of the army at Fort Riley, Ka. He married a farm girl and we hooked up to hunt. This is a rifle buck, but he's a nice one.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
A bear I took in SC early 2000s. 15 yard shot, 45 recovery.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Oh, Bryce is his name...my son that is, not the deer
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Oh, Bryce is his name...my son that is, not the deer
When my son turned 14 I started taking him. This is his first trophy take with a xbow. I can't get him to practice enough with his vertical bow. It was a very cold Thanksgiving week, he shot this buck about 28 yards away thru the pumper.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Another angle.

18-Jul-18
Some nice bucks here!

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
The next year, he takes a massive bodied buck during Thanksgiving. 25 yard shot, 35 recovery.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
9 pt
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
9 pt
Next year, took my son for an early November hunt. The trip was 8 days but he only had 4 days in which he came close numerous times but lucked out. I took him back Thanksgiving week, first morning. He was young, but he couldn't be to choosy for we only had 4 days to hunt. 33 yard shot, 35 recovery. After a couple dumb mistakes his first year, he's learning what's a good shot.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Cliff and me on his property in GA one October 2000 or so. Thought he was a real nice deer at the time, sure a lot smaller in the east. 10 pt with a drop tine, 126 gross inches.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Nice 9 I took in 2016. My son and brother joined me that year. Bryce took a nice 130" 8 point 4 days earlier. It was the first time he and I took one in the same hunt so that made it more enjoyable. Usually he hunts and I move and place stands and act like his human deer cam until I send him home. 34 yard shot heavily quartering away, 150 yard recovery.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Here's an 8 my son came so close to. He only had 4 days then I flew him back home. The next morning he comes by this time presenting a shot. 15 yard shot, 30 yard recovery. He only scored 120, thought he was bigger but I only had 3 days left so I took him.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Another angle.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
2015 9 point. Sat thru several days with no sightings other than small bucks. This guy came by and since I wanted to go to Missouri and try a double, I took him. I tried out the new schwacker 2 inch broad head. He was quartering away 26 yards, saw the arrow hit perfectly but not much penetration and no blood. Took me 6 hours to find him just across the neighboring ranch fence line. Safely to say, don't shoot those in my bow but they work great out of the xbow.

18-Jul-18
some very nice deer. Can't wait til we have deer like that around here. I will put my pics up one day of the ones's I have killed in Iowa Kansas Idaho and Montana. you will see a big difference. Congrats buddy. Those are nice.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Another angle.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
The year I took my 9 pt and my son took the 8. Two days later this guy comes by and I have no buck tag. So I took pics of him 13 yards away. He was with a 7 and a doe, he left and came back several times. Notice God painted a white target on his chest just where I need to hit him. God seems to have a sense of humor some times. Believe it not, though, I took him the next year in the same tree.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Trail cam pic that night.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
I know, I keep hoping WV will go to 1 buck only. I have gotten some nice cam pics of a few bucks each year but I'm always out west during the rut. Till then, I use my farm to as practice on the does. Tons of deer though, at least in Monroe.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Early season couple year back.

18-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Another taken in November. Nice 8 in my food plot.

18-Jul-18
I'm trying different crops in the food plot. Seed sorghum works and grows great in WV except the deer cream it the first two weeks of bow season. I have 40 acres clear and I plant 4 plots. I'm going to plow another 2 to 3 acres and plant some feed corn and sorghum in it next year. I have a lot of does and none of my neighbors will take a doe during gun. I try to take 2 does each year but add that to a doe and buck from out west and it's a lot of meat.

18-Jul-18
I am like you. I hunt the does here in WV as well. What I can't use I give to patients that need the meat. WV is a different animal all together and will never change. I have given up on it changing. I have 99 acres in Iowa. It is not much but it gets overflow from Lee and Tiffany's place. LOL. I don't need much room.

18-Jul-18
I joined that MAHA and they have 175k acres in Iowa, Missouri and Kansas. And you can go as many times as you like for deer, turkey, upland bird, waterfowl and fishing. I've never been to Iowa yet, have the points but I was waiting a few years since EHD hit. Then my son and brother started joining me and neither had points to Iowa. How is it there now?

18-Jul-18
It is ok now. depended on what are you were in .

18-Jul-18
Koogie what is MAHA?

19-Jul-18

KOOGIE's Link
JAYD, it is an association which leases properties for members. Originally started in 1965 for bird and waterfowl and eventually progressed into deer and turkey as well a waterfowl and upland bird. I researched them back in the early 2000's and took a leap of faith and joined in 2006 I think. At that time it was 965/yr, since then I added my son and now pay 1200/yr, but I think it is 1600/yr now. You pay based on your entry, so when I added my son it went up. You can go as often as you like and only need to make a reservation on which farm you plan to hunt, and you do so exclusively. Everything is up to you: scouting, stand hanging and harvesting the game. When I joined they had over 220K acres, but now it's more like 170K. They recently announced archery deer is now major focus eclipsing upland bird, so I think they now spend more money on better deer habitat. If you like to do you're own scouting and don't mind the work of hanging stands, it's a bargain for me.

19-Jul-18
Nothing fancy, just unlimited access to hunt properties without knocking on doors. It's all up to you to supply what is necessary for you to hunt successfully. I love it and look forward to each deer season and sometimes I return for turkey (which I don't have the success I'd like and use as more of a scouting tool to look over new properties).

19-Jul-18
Thank you!!!

19-Jul-18
Welcome back to Monroe county! I own 560 acres in Monroe county too. You might not know that this year Monroe has new regulations. If you kill a buck in any season a doe MUST be killed next before another buck can be killed . This is across ALL seasons. We also as of a couple of weeks ago have a new NRPO that is a very good Officer . Hopefully this new regulation will save a few more bucks and increase doe harvest to help even out the herd. If you have any questions feel free to pm me

19-Jul-18
Gobbler, will you let me hunt on your 560? Ha! I bought a much smaller tract, 80 acres between wolfcreek and sinks grove off of Broad Run road, ton of deer though. New regs, I just take a couple does a year, one early one late in the season. In between I hope to get something nice to come by, but not to lucky there. They seem to show up in early November and I'm out west. I'm only there every other weekend too, so chances are slim. Thanks for introducing yourself though, wouldn't mind making a couple new friends in the area.

19-Jul-18
Gobbler is a pretty good guy - I said something about coming to his place last year and he promised me a 180 if I showed up!!! LOL

19-Jul-18
My hunting permission slips are all taken for now. Actually, it sounds like we’re pretty close. I’m on the mountain above Sinks Grove. It’s the property with No Tresspassing signs every 10 ft on trees. LOL

20-Jul-18
Just as well Gobbler, I don't have time anyway and I do enjoy hunting on my place. But you're welcome to drop by here anytime, love to see some pics and swap stories. That goes for anyone else out there. I'm trying to envision your exact location as I travel thru Sinks Grove a good deal when I'm heading to town. My place was know as the Preston Farm at one time, apparently the owner in the 90's owed money to most everyone in the county, so most locals know where it is. Actually scouting is what I love most about deer hunting, then figuring out stand placement and harvesting is actually last because it ends the hunt. Keep that in mind if you ever want to meet up and just look at land.

20-Jul-18
I know where u are at. I can look down in the valley and see parts of Preston farm. If u want to get together let me know. PM sent

20-Jul-18
I'm up for the weekend working on the house and whatever needs to be done. I usually come up every other week. You name your time, I can either drop by or you can drop by. My lovely wife and I would be honored to meet you.

21-Jul-18
I’m leaving at noon. Been here this week. Rain forecast for next few days . I’ll be back when it dries up a little

21-Jul-18
I sent you a PM, Koogie.

23-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Bryce, took this guy 2016. Not extremely large, but he knows how to make them look bigger in the photo. This guy is 130, expired 20 yards away. I place him just behind a working coral on a cattle ranch. I texted him and told him to try rattling, he tickled them together and this guy busts in immediately. By 7:15 I get a text saying he shot one. My son is the most vague person on the planet. I text him back and ask how he felt about the shot, he said pretty good and that it laid down 25 yards away. "How big", I text. "Oh, not that big" he says. Nice buck for a 16 year old, I was proud of him and proud for him.

23-Jul-18

KOOGIE's embedded Photo
KOOGIE's embedded Photo
Here's one that tip-toed in behind my son the morning before I got him on cam. It winded him and and became nocturnal after that. Nice 8!

• Sitka Gear