SoDakSooner 31-Jul-18
upnortbow 31-Jul-18
Griz34 31-Jul-18
Griz34 31-Jul-18
upnortbow 31-Jul-18
Griz34 31-Jul-18
Animal Killer 01-Aug-18
19-Jul-18
Planning a couple bowhunts this fall and was looking at Pierre grasslands or the walk in areas by it. Was wondering how the mule deer numbers are there and what the terrain is like. I am also interested in the buffalo gap area. basically places east as possible I can find mule deer.

21-Jul-18
Interesting area to hunt. I have always wanted to hunt there but am usually someplace else. If no one replies, call state gfp and quiz the big game biologist. Probably will have a good idea of numbers. Might steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

30-Jul-18
you are better off elsewhere to bowhunt. not much cover for spot/stalk my buddy had a rifle tag there ended up shooting a whitetail since he saw low mule deer numbers.

30-Jul-18
Ok thanks guys I might still check it out on a different trip since I have a place to stay in that area but Im going to try out the NW part of the state in September.

30-Jul-18
The NW part of the state is going to be pretty busy with NR bow hunters in September. I'm not saying don't go, but if I were you I'd do my best to get creative to get away from the crowds. The National Forest was packed last year, and with the season dates getting moved up to Sep. 1st I have a feeling it's gonna be nuts. Probably the same for the Black Hills.

31-Jul-18
Yep Griz, you won't be able to spit without hitting a NR bowhunter in either location in September. I've never seen so many "Hey, first time hunting SD, can you tell me...." posts.

31-Jul-18
Lol. I have seen a lot of those threads for every state I hunt Brotsky, especially Colorado with their new draw system. Would love to come back and bowhunt, but no vacation left. Luckily I have a bunch of private land available in Meade, Butte, and Harding I can hunt if necessary, but it won't be this year.

31-Jul-18
Theres so much public land in harding its hard to believe it gets that packed for bowhunting.

31-Jul-18
Just don't do what you think everyone else will do. Get creative. You'll be surprised how many people you'll see. Not all that public land is a good place to hunt deer. You can get away from people but it's harder than it used to be. EVERYONE looks at big chunks of public land and says "sweet, I'm going there"! I killed my mule deer on a 1 square mile chunk of school land last year.

31-Jul-18
Double post.

31-Jul-18
Good advice. One more question, do most of the walk in/ school ground have an access point to park the truck, and can I walk in and camp in a tent.

31-Jul-18
No, most school lands don't have a parking area. You just have to park in the ditch. There are some that even have no hunting signs on them. As far as camping on them I don't think you are supposed to but I'm not sure on that. Last year during my deer hunt I just rolled out my canvas cutter and slept in the ditch next to my truck.

01-Aug-18
Last year when i drove thru the grasslands the grass wasnt much more than an inch tall. Way over grazed imo but no of it looked too appealing either with long rolling hills and little to no cover. As far as the NW corner, its a crap shoot. Too many NR hunters and hopfully we get a limit on our NR tags as there needs to be something done. We all like NR hunters but to a point just like every other state. Best thing you could do is look for small chunks of BLM and school land and hunt that. not much pressure in the way of the larger chunks.

• Sitka Gear