Surfbow 21-Jul-18
ColoBull 21-Jul-18
COHOYTHUNTER 21-Jul-18
Treeline 21-Jul-18
soccern23ny 21-Jul-18
Ski & Skin 21-Jul-18
Dirk Diggler 21-Jul-18
19-Jul-18
I've seen a few "companies" that seem very good, only problem is they are awfully expensive.

Back east I had 2 different guys, who basically worked out of their garage during the hunting season. Both around 60$ flat rate(before optional sausages/jerky). Both did great work, professional packaging, etc.

I can't seem to find any private people in the denver area.

Any ideas/suggestions?

19-Jul-18
No way in heck I'd trust some random dude in his garage with my meat...do it yourself, and if not I'd take it up to Steve's. His pricing is in your ballpark if you just have them cut and freeze. They also give you back your own animal.

19-Jul-18
@surfbow...

well i did know these guys somewhat(through friend of a friend). And they were butchers by trade so... it was fairly legit.

And i think steve's website is down/bought out

20-Jul-18
Steve's was bought out? They close in the off season.

20-Jul-18
@dirk...

their WEBSITE, is no longer active... i think they probably stopped paying the fees, and the name got bought out. Now it's some hippy nutritional blog thing

20-Jul-18
Nobody touches my meat except me and my old lady, mostly me though. My brother in-law gave me a hand once though, didn't feel right about that though! One of the most rewarding parts of taking an animal to me is busting it down and seeing the shelf full in the freezer!

20-Jul-18
Wild game processors are not as prevalent in Colorado as in other states. There are less than a handful in the entire state that do a decent job and only one or two that can make decent sausage.

It was common practice growing up in central Texas to only gut a deer and take it to the butcher. There were many to choose from with many excellent choices. Awesome sausage!

I started learning how to cut my own in college when funds were short and game provided the majority of my protein sources. Been cutting my own now for over 30 years and would not consider taking it to a processor.

Learn how to cut your own and make your own burger, sausage, jerky, steaks, pastrami, etc. It takes some time but is very rewarding.

20-Jul-18
I heard Steve's does bulk processing and you are NOT guaranteed to get 100% of your animal back, could be mixed with others.

20-Jul-18
soccern23ny: I too am from back east Pennsylvania, moved here in 1995. In Pa, I had a retired butcher doing mine out of his garage, he'd cut and I'd wrap (bring your own wrap) for $20 out the door. My friends still used him as of 10 years ago, same price, til he finally fully retired at age of 80.

I found a guy out here that was processing mine for $50 in an a mobile truck, he came to you, but soon after the state started clamping down on folks who didn't but the permits and threatened heavy fines (no doubt the commercial guys complained and handed politicians "brown envelopes" to get them to start enforcing).

I tried Rocky Mountain Meats for basic processing, and this averaged about $80-$100 for an average size deer. That was until they unscrupulously charged my friend a $40 surcharge because he had hair on the meat. LOL, they power wash and hit it with a torch prior to cutting anyway to remove hair. I saw that carcass and it had very little, if any hair on it.

After all that, I watched a youtube video and learned to do it myself. It's easy and you get the satisfaction that you did it yourself and no one swiped any of your good meat.

20-Jul-18
COHOYTHUNTER, I got my info directly from a guy who used to work at Steve's, and who had previously also worked for other a couple other processors in the area. He said if you have your animal cut up and/or ground into burger you will get ONLY your animal back. It was a point of pride for them, and it provided them with an easy response if a customer tried to complain about the taste or weight of the finished product. I've gone there several times, and seeing the care some people take of their carcasses would make you sick, I don't blame them for taking the extra steps to ensure people get their own stuff back.

20-Jul-18
Surfbow, so what would be an instance where you wouldn't get only your animal?

20-Jul-18
I'd imagine if you get something like jerky sticks there is some addition/subtraction of meat just to get a full batch made, but I don't know first hand how they do it. You could always just go in there and ask Steve, the first time I took a deer there he gave me a tour of the place. He gave my newbie hunter buddy a lesson in field dressing as well.

21-Jul-18
Surfbow have you ever taken anything to Steve's and asked? You will get back your cuts like steak, roast and burger. If you get sausage, sticks, jerky, etc THEY tell you up front if you ask that it may not be your meat as they combine grind to make the processed stuff. They don't hide it.

Not saying anything bad about Steve's. They do a good job. Combining grind is just not for me.

21-Jul-18
Combining a little grind for sausage or jerky sticks doesn't bother me that much, I never had more than a few pounds of that made and I doubt you'd taste it anyway, but I certainly wouldn't want someone else's roasts, steaks, or burger back...

21-Jul-18
I've heard how much the "pro's " charge....almost absurd if you don't know what's going on. A one time purchase of a good grinder pays for itself with the first use. No wondering "what happened' to the ,& especially tenderloins. I've taken the burger buckets to a processor, and watched them convert it. Otherwise - I don't trust many with my meat. The reality of how much actual "good" meat comes from a harvest takes a little getting used to, but there ain't anything better. 'Had some self processed veal last night - 'nough said! Grind burger with ~10% bacon ( fat) = AWESOME!!!

21-Jul-18
What if you use 10% pork or beef in the burger? Is it all yours, minus the 10% of course

21-Jul-18
You don’t need a lot of equipment to process your own meat. A grinder, knifes, cutting board and wrapping paper.

I have a hand operated tenderizer that works great for chicken fried steak. I like to use a vacuum sealer as well as it keeps the meat longer. You can get seasoning for sausage and jerky if you want.

Takes some time but is very rewarding.

21-Jul-18
@Treeline...

it's something i want to get into, but I rent and don't have a garage. That coupled with the lack of knowledge and the need for more equipment(less money for gear/space to put it) it isn't feasible for me.

But i do want to one day.

21-Jul-18
It'll cost the same having it processed vs a grinder or don't grind it. You'll need paper, seran wrap, filleting knife, cheep plastic cutting boards.

Cut up everything to roast, steaks and stew meat. Plus it's a deer debone it'll fit in the fridge and then your freezer.

Just turn your AC all the way up in your condo!

I figure out how to process an elk after year one of hunting. It was less to buy a grinder and all the other processing stuff than have it done. 10 years with the same grinder and that's for a elk a year plus a deer thrown in every thre or four years and a few lopes.

Over 10 years I've spent less than 1k for a grinder paper cutting boards knives and a chest freezer! If I paid to have all that meat processed it be 5,6,8k or more?

You can do it!!!

21-Jul-18
SS is right. It's pretty easy. All I do is separate the individual muscles and steak them out. I'm not a roast fan and a $90 grinder from ace hardware has lasted me over 10yrs. I add fatty beef burger to it to stretch it and give it some moisture. But heres my deal, my buddy has had a moose and an elk processed at Steve's over the past 2 seasons and added 10% pork fat to the burger. It's the best damn burger I've ever eatin, bar none! I swear he chucks yer game out back and gives you high grade beef burger! It's that good!

• Sitka Gear