Cheesehead Mike 23-Jul-18
WausauDug 23-Jul-18
Mike F 23-Jul-18
Treefarm 24-Jul-18
Mike F 24-Jul-18
Treefarm 24-Jul-18
Tweed 24-Jul-18
21-Jul-18
Not exactly bow hunting but you guys have the knowledge and experience I trust.

I have a pair of mid range, water proof (with a leak) insulates hiking boots. About 10 yeara ago I wore them to the shop. Got hydralic oil and machine coolant on them. Ever since then if I ever think about something wet I slip.

I dont plan on using them for hunting but would like to use them for camping and what not. Any way to cut the oil on them? Any particular degreasers to stay away from or stupid techniques?

21-Jul-18
When I get oil anywhere I don't want it I use a good amount of Dawn liquid detergent on it. I coat the item with it and let is soak for a couple of hours, or overnight and it seems to always work. Good luck!

21-Jul-18
Agree, dawn concentrate has always worked for me too.

21-Jul-18
I'll add my chemistry background to the mix. Dawn takes grease out of your way. Why? Because soap molecules in the presence of water, encapsulate oil molecules. You will need water. The soap molecule and the oil molecule are charged oppositely, attracting each other. The water is the carrier. I find dawn platinum the best degreaser of them all, for removing duck fat from my fleshed skins that I do taxidermy on.

21-Jul-18
Thanks guys!

23-Jul-18
Great info.....When people aren't bitching, this is why I love Bowsite

23-Jul-18
Yep, it seems in taxidermy all washing/cleaning procedures call for Dawn dish soap.

23-Jul-18
My boots/shoes sometimes get oil on them when I am working on an engine in the bilge of my boat. Having a clean, white deck, I always make sure they are clean before I walk on the deck. Best thing I have found to quickly clean them off is a little engine degreaser and a shop rag.

23-Jul-18
It is always recommended to use a citrus degreaser when cleaning bike chains, I bet Dawn would have the same results

23-Jul-18
I'm not disputing the Dawn recommendations but I've had a lot of success getting grease out of stuff with GoJo hand cleaner. Work it in and let it sit for a while and rinse with hot water. I often use it as a pre-treatment before washing in the washing machine.

23-Jul-18
that Purple Power stuff from Menards gets oil off my driveway fast

23-Jul-18
There are a lot of ways to remove oil from a lot of things. The main reason I go with Dawn on something that you might not be able to wash down the drain is because it is friendly to the outdoors where I wash a lot of things down in. They use it to clean birds and waterfowl when there is an oil spill. That speaks volumes for the product. And no, I am not affiliated to it either.

24-Jul-18
Tweed, try IPA, it is great at surface oil removal. Any organic solvent will do. The d-Limonene in citrus cleaners will help, basically oil from orange peels. If you can't get anhydrous IPA, try 70%. The 70% is great at making ceramic stovetops shiny and grease free.

Thing about Dawn is that it works great but due to the surfactant nature of it, it kills aquatic invertebrates. That is why it kills insects too, it allows water to penetrate their exoskeleton. Dropping potato Beetles, Japanese Beetles etc. in a solution of dihydrogen monoxide and Dawn drowns them.

24-Jul-18
Treefarm - Thanks for the info!

24-Jul-18
IPA is isopropyl alcohol, isopropanol, 2-propanol. Common "Rubbing Alcohol" is 70% isopropanol. Great bacteriostat. For all you elk backpackers in the mountains, carry it to use when you get "pitted out". Cleanse underarms with it. Works like a charm to minimize human odor, better known as BO.

24-Jul-18
Rubbing alcohol is what i use on my hunting/camping trips too. Nothing wakes you up quicker then splashing ice cold alcohol on you in the morning.

• Sitka Gear