Tjw 24-Jul-18
BobH92057 25-Jul-18
YZF-88 27-Jul-18
Tjw 29-Jul-18
YZF-88 15-Aug-18
Dominantbuck 25-Aug-18
c3 26-Aug-18
22-Jul-18
So I finally drew an archery elk tag and I keep hearing severe drought...I assume the Elk will survive, but might be bad antler growth...any local input to the real current status? Getting enough moisture up high for a relatively normal year? any input would be appreciated....thx...Charlie

22-Jul-18
Hot and dry is always best for antler growth. This may be the best antler growth year in Utah since 2007. There's plenty of ground water from previous years and the feed all during the antler growing season was nearly perfect. The big bulls are about topped out already and we are getting quite a bit of thunderstorm action.

The drier the feed the more concentrated the proteins and minerals. It takes much less stomach acid for cattle, elk and mule deer to digest dry feed. This is the reason calves put on so much weight in the late fall before the snows start.

I'm predicting this year we will have more 400" bulls killed than any of the last 7 - 8 years here in Utah.

Cheers, Pete

22-Jul-18
Wow...that's great to hear...guess my understanding is not quite accurate...thank you...

22-Jul-18
Going to keep getting into shape as best as I can...I'm a Wisconsin deerhunter looking at this hunt as once in a lifetime as I'm 57 and probably won't get enough points to ever draw again...I have 3 weeks vacation to put towards this hunt this year...looking t do the last 3 weeks... Don't need the biggest Elk on the mountain, but would like a crack at a couple nice bulls. I hunt lone wolf out of my truck camper...and will have an ATV, but generally prefer not to spend any more time on it than I need to...If anyone is willing to help me out with some info and pointers for this unit...it would be greatly appreciated.

24-Jul-18
the last week is by far the best.Try not to burn yourself out early. It all changes. I would start at skyline ridge road and drop off both sides where it looks good. the spike hunters cant hunt the last week and that gets rid of alot of people. Try bear canyon always elk in there.. peace

25-Jul-18
I'll be up there as well except on a cow tag. Can't wait!

27-Jul-18
Dominantbuck, Good luck on your hunt. I was a WI resident when I drew a Wasatch archery elk hunt in Utah. Very good advice above. Don't get burned out too early. Those first couple weeks will have long days between morning and evening action. The last week is definitely best but rifle hunters and their posse of scouters will show up mid week and test their bugling skills all over.

29-Jul-18
I had no idea dry grass was better for horn growth? makes sense.. easy winter and better feed. hell pete u made my day. my dutton tag looking better.

15-Aug-18
Hope the area you were planning to hunt didn’t get burned up!

25-Aug-18
Its closed it looks now...I was going to go to the northern section...there are huge chunks closed and seems the entire is extreme fire watch ...any chance the state would refund tags/points?

26-Aug-18

c3's Link
There's one fire on the very north end. The whole rest of the unit is perfectly fine. Where I suggested is 25 miles south of there and not in the least bit effected.

Get on with it dude !!! You have an amazing hunt in the waiting.

https://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml

• Sitka Gear