bowhunter0505 23-Jul-18
South Farm 24-Jul-18
Nogutsnostory 27-Jul-18
12yards 30-Jul-18
grubby 31-Jul-18
rraming 07-Aug-18
DeerAreTasty 17-Aug-18
23-Jul-18
I am a new hunter and harvested my first deer last year (2017). I am looking to complete my first deer and turkey hunt by myself with a bow this year on public land. Can anyone provide me with tips or advice to be success in getting meat for me and my family this year?

Also, I have read/heard on podcasts to ask farmers for permission to hunt their land. Has anyone had success with this?

I appreciate all advice and tips.

Thanks.

24-Jul-18
If a does will make you happy then you should have no problem filling the freezer hunting public ground in Minnesota. Turkeys are everywhere, so there again you should find good success. Best advice I can give is pull out the maps, search Google, grab the binocs and put on some miles checking various WMA's out until you find one ya like. The season is long so even if you find your chosen spot overrun with other hunters there's plenty time to find a new spot. Knocking on doors is futile in some areas of the state, and not nearly as effective as it was before everybody got into the food plot and QDM craze. You might have some luck but more likely you'll be looking at a lease moreso than outright permission granted for free. Everybody hunts or has somebody who hunts on their land and most folks don't want the disruption of someone "scaring" their big buck before they get a crack at him. Good news is we have enough public land to satisfy you!

27-Jul-18
Good advice South Farm.

30-Jul-18
In the meantime, start saving money so you can own your own land, keep other people off, plant food plots, and keep people from scaring your buck away.

31-Jul-18
LMAO good advice 12yards !! any time you are dealing with public land you will need a lot of spots. You are going to have some hunts ruined. don't let it get you down. Good luck.

07-Aug-18
Cheapest way to get meat is go to the butcher. Public land is not bad once you get away form the metro areas. Go early and if hunting end of October early November, you will likely see others.

Maybe 60 miles around metro is squirrel hunters, have seen them as far as 90 miles. Those are the ones that mess you up, other bowhunters are usually not a problem. It can work to your advantage since they move deer around. would not leave an area because some guys are walking around, deer walk around them.

17-Aug-18
If you don't mind driving a bit, then I would recommend checking out some of WMA's one to two hours drive away from the metro. Also, get prepared to walk a half mile or more to get away from the crowds and into the areas holding the deer. Getting mobile with a quiet, lightweight hang-on tree stand and climbing steps can be a very effective way to get into the areas where the deer are. If you practice a bit, you can learn to put up a stand and take it down in under 10 minutes. Also, have a plan on how to get the deer out of there before you hunt. I usually bring a 2-wheel game cart and then stash it along the way to where I set up the stand. Makes getting deer out so much easier.

Good luck

• Sitka Gear