kscowboy 25-Jul-18
Bowhuntinnut 25-Jul-18
Adventurewriter 25-Jul-18
Treeline 25-Jul-18
kscowboy 25-Jul-18
Jims 27-Jul-18
ColoBull 29-Jul-18
25-Jul-18
I am looking at Colorado College and University of Colorado. Academics aside, which has a better outdoors setting, especially elk hunting wise? Thanks!

25-Jul-18
Both locations have pluses and minuses. And, without going into lots of details, very different political environments. You will need to look at where you best fit from that perspective.

I’ve lived in Boulder, but not in the Springs.

You can get into mountains quickly from either location but very different terrains. There are plenty of good places to get away into the mountains for hiking, biking, camping, fishing, wildlife viewing, skiing, etc. from either. Elk units close to either are draw so you will either need to build points and draw or drive to OTC units for elk.

For good quality elk hunting, you will need to start looking into other states and building points so someday you can have the opportunity for elk hunting like it’s supposed to be!

25-Jul-18
Boulder is 35 square miles surrounded by reality. That said choose the college that will give you the degree most likely to get into the field you're looking to get into. There's plenty of outdoor opportunity in both areas.

25-Jul-18
Agree with Dirk - Pick the college and degree that suits your future, and worry less about hunting while in school. It will pay off in the long run. Either location has plenty of outdoor opportunity available within a couple hour drive.

25-Jul-18
Thanks! I'm hoping to go into law, so I'm thinking English and Poli Sci double major. They both have decent programs, so it may come down to cost.

25-Jul-18
Dogs have more human rights in Boulder than humans....just sayin' LOL

Oh....and don't you dare tell anyone you hunt and kill animals. OMG!

Lastly, be prepared to drive.....alot.....to find anywhere legal to shoot your bow or gun unless you join a club.

Having said all that, I live in Erie outside of Boulder and love it.

Have you looked at the legal market? Have you spoken with lawyers about their work life balance?

I do not regret going to law school or being a lawyer but I sure did not know what the hell I had gotten myself into, the stress, the expectations, the hours, the competition through law school is nothing compared to the competition once you get out to be successful, partnership issues.......ugh. It is not for everyone. Good news, there are lots of things one can do with a law degree to fit who you are as a person vs. the cookie cutter private practice litigator/corp atty/etc.

25-Jul-18
Gamelines Archery Club just outside of Boulder is awesome. a'Lish who posts on here had me as a guest. When you go visit, give him a holler. That just might sell you on Boulder.

The Springs is more conservative, obviously. You will essentially be going to a California college in Boulder. Look at Western State too--lots of outdoor activities. Law schools have a formula with the LSAT and GPA that really doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd be surprised how little emphasis they put on the difficulty of a major and the quality of academics of an undergraduate university. Granted, I am not talking about Harvard and Yale but I went to a Top 75 Law School and they didn't put a lot of emphasis on my accounting major versus a lot of the other screw-off majors that were applying. One of the gals in my class was a dance major.

25-Jul-18
I wouldn’t go to CU Boulder if it was the last school on the planet. I hate the city period, but between those two it’s an easy decision to go to the Springs.

25-Jul-18
What is college without some hot dance majors????

25-Jul-18
Yup Ted,

Those “hot dance majors” were fun during and after college;^)

25-Jul-18
This one had a face that would make a train take a dirt road!

27-Jul-18
It would be wise to visit both campus and cities. You have a long road a head of you if you're in law and it may be worth a trip to look things over? Both cities and colleges are totally different. Colo College is a smaller private school which you'd likely have smaller class sizes and more attention from your professors. I believe CC has around 2,200 undergrads and CU has close to 24,000+. CU has a pretty nice campus with gobs of activities for students....that may not be as good or available at CC (clubs, super nice rec center, sports, etc). There are likely good and bad points for each college. I live in Colo and generally get away from the front range to do most of my hunting and fishing. There are options fairly close to both cities but you'll have to deal with gobs of hikers and weekend warriors at both locations.

U of Wyo has a law program...and great hunting/fishing not far from the Laramie campus...but you'll have to deal with WIND 360 days a year...and around 2 more months of winter! Tuition at UW is a fraction of what it would cost at CC and if you are a nonres at CU.

29-Jul-18
CU has a pretty nice campus in the Springs. 'Not sure if they offer law courses. It's about 90 miles closer to the part of the state we prefer to hunt. 'May be worth looking into...

• Sitka Gear