Ski & Skin 26-Jul-18
Ermine 27-Jul-18
Buglmin 28-Jul-18
JRABQ 06-Aug-18
otcWill 06-Aug-18
singlepin 18-Aug-18
cmbbulldog 19-Aug-18
25-Jul-18
Hello, I posted here a couple months back and got some helpful PM's, including phone numbers, but I was new to the site and didn't realize that my archived messages would disappear after a month. I have a 76 archery buck tag, and I've scouted the unit twice this year. I've seen a couple bucks with promise, but not the volume I was hoping for. I knew it wasn't a traditionally great deer unit when I applied, but I was moving out of state and wanted to maximize my archery points. During my scouting, I've seen several really good bulls in the 320-340 category. I'll never hunt bull elk in this unit (I don't save elk pp in Colorado), and I grew up in the Durango area, so I'm happy to exchange deer/elk info on any southwestern Colorado unit, including elk 76, for help with deer in 76. I'd really like to know what you 76 elk hunters are seeing for deer on your scouting trips this season. And you guys that I talked to before, please hit me up again. Thanks in advance.

25-Jul-18
Good for you on your 76 tag.

Hope to get out to Durango soon for future retirement possibility.

26-Jul-18
I am scouting 76 this weekend. I will PM you.

26-Jul-18
I drew 76 for archery elk, hopefully I'll be scouting in a couple weeks, I'll keep an eye out for deer...

26-Jul-18
Glass, glass, glass and the glass some more!!!

27-Jul-18
Not worth the points in my opinion. Not many deer and you can find bigger bucks in 0-1 pt units

28-Jul-18
It depends on how far in can you go. If you've got horses, the deeper and higher, the better. Without horses, contact a packer to get you in. I agree with Ermine, while you'll see some good bucks in 76, they'll be in spots not very suitable for stalking. You're not going to find the big, open basins with willows every where. Comanche Lake. Its gonna be a climb, bucks will be in the timber a lot, but its doable. Avoid places with easy access, the guys from the Valley tend to sneak into 76 on a regular basis. Good luck, plan on covering lots of country.

06-Aug-18

JRABQ's embedded Photo
JRABQ's embedded Photo
While scouting for moose I saw a few deer, including these two. One on the right looks good to me. So have you seen any moose? :)

06-Aug-18

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
JRABQ, pm sent. Saw this bull a handful of times in the same general area

18-Aug-18
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I agree that 76 probably isn't worth the points, but I had 5 points and was moving away from Colorado so I decided to maximize them while they were still resident points. That said, I'll be hunting hard and I know there's a few big ones out there. If ya'll have any other suggestions or need help in any of the 70 units, hit me up. Good luck out there.

19-Aug-18
Shoot me a PM on the moose, saw moose everyday where I elk hunted a couple years ago.

• Sitka Gear