Contributors to this thread:
Jimney 26-Jul-18
Jimney 26-Jul-18
t-roy 27-Jul-18
Jimney 31-Jul-18
Jimney 31-Jul-18
hawkeye arrow 20-Oct-18
26-Jul-18
I’m finally working on building my own food plot and native grass area, and am getting ready to put in the 1st section of the food plot soon. We will be disking, and I have read a cultipacker is the way to go to keep the seeds shallow (first, then plant, then do it again). We don’t have one as of now but we have a harrow. I have heard from multiple sources that a harrow will potentially make seeds too deep but wondered if anyone has used 1 in a flat position as an alternative or has any other ideas. Thanks in advance.

26-Jul-18
Duplicate post

27-Jul-18
How big of a plot are you putting in Jimney? A cultipacker is the best implement for getting good seed to soil contact, but you can drive over your plot with an atv to press the seed into the soil. Just go round and round, driving right next to your preceding tracks. It takes some time, but does a pretty decent job.

31-Jul-18
Hey t-roy, thanks, The plots themselves can't even be 3/4 of an acre, so that could work. My neighbor, who works for the state and has helped set up many plots told me another option is to just get it set up and spread the seeds right before a rain if possible. That's a thought, but rain in southern Iowa hasn't been very predictable lately. I will keep your suggestion in my back pocket, thanks!

31-Jul-18
Hey t-roy, thanks, The plots themselves can't even be 3/4 of an acre, so that could work. My neighbor, who works for the state and has helped set up many plots told me another option is to just get it set up and spread the seeds right before a rain if possible. That's a thought, but rain in southern Iowa hasn't been very predictable lately. I will keep your suggestion in my back pocket, thanks!

20-Oct-18
a cultipacker is best but a drag harrow section pulled behind 4 wheeler works well also

• Sitka Gear