oldgoat 27-Jul-18
Surfbow 28-Jul-18
PECO 28-Jul-18
Leatherneckgrandpa 28-Jul-18
Quinn @work 29-Jul-18
goelk 29-Jul-18
Quinn @work 29-Jul-18
27-Jul-18
Does anyone here hunt jack rabbits. If so can you please share some locations. I'm not looking for someones honey hole but just for a decent spot. Thanks. Daniel.

27-Jul-18
I don't hunt them, but i see plenty on the plains pheasant hunting. Look for walk in hunting areas on the plains that are not cultivated, used to be some out around Elizabeth. They will have SWA brochures out when it gets closer to season opening.

28-Jul-18
I saw them from time to time around Pueblo West, but not in numbers that would make hunting worth it.

28-Jul-18
Jack Rabbit honey hole! We had a ton of jack rabbits when I was a teen in central Minnesota. I've only seen a few here and I think they are technically snowshoe hare, which may be the same. They were sure fun to hunt when I was a kid.

28-Jul-18
Jack rabbits are NOT snowshoe hares.

2 species of jacks in Colorado. The blacktail jack rabbit is found out on the flatlands, the agricultural areas, east side of the Rockies. They are brown, grey in color, and stay that way year round.

The white tail jack is found in the western part of the state. I have found lots of 'em from Walden west to the Craig and Baggs area. Whitetails are brown in the summer and start to turn white as winter approaches. Their population fluctuates, just as cottontails do. The last couple of years, there has been a very high number of whitetail jacks over in the northwest part of the state.

Snowshoe hares also turn white in the winter. They are much smaller than the jackrabbits. (Jackrabbits are actually hares! Huh??) They are just a "hair" larger than a cottontail, and are pretty good to eat. Jackrabbits? Not so much so. I've tried. The snowshoes live in the mountains, in amongst the heavy timber. Lynx think they taste pretty good, too.

OK, that's your rabbit/hare primer for the week.

29-Jul-18
Like old goat said, find some public land out east and you should find some. Always see em pheasant hunting. They seem to like pastures with soap weeds (yucca's). My lab does everything she can NOT to chase them as she knows better. Funny to see her watching them run away while looking at me hoping for permission to chase.

29-Jul-18
There are tons in the valley near Alamosoa.

29-Jul-18
Sweet! How come you guys don't hunt them?

29-Jul-18
Don’t have a desire to eat them.

• Sitka Gear