Scott in Camo 29-Sep-18
Slate 29-Sep-18
BuckStalker 29-Sep-18
Ruthless09 29-Sep-18
keepemsharp 29-Sep-18
writer 29-Sep-18
Scott in Camo 29-Sep-18
28-Jul-18
Well, I was lucky enough to draw a Fort Riley any elk tag. Having never set foot on the place, any help would be kindly appreciated.

28-Jul-18
Congrats, get all your cedintials in order and start scouting ASAP...

29-Jul-18
Matte is correct. Get all your documentation in order, get set up on Isportsman, and don’t forget to take the “test” prior to season.

If you want send me a PM and I know a guy that would probably be willing to help. It’s definitely not what you think it will be. Can be extremely tough.

29-Jul-18
What these guys said, especially Turk since he’s been on several hunts up there. Get ready before the season. Spend as much time as you can just driving and hiking around to get to know the lay of the land, the area boundaries.

Figure out ways to free up time without a lot of notice. The “I’m taking off the week of )($?’ to go kill a bull” may not work if the weather’s warm or the best units are closed for military uses. If you get snow, and the right area opens, you’ll want to be there before daylight the next day. Guys have ended the season with an unfilled tag because they tried to do the hunt on their terms, their schedule and not what Mother Nature and Fort Riley offered. Fort Riley is an amazing place, and it hunts a lot bigger than the 100,000 or so acres they say makes up the post. Remember, this is a once-in-a-lifetime permit. Success rates are pretty high, but most are earned.

30-Jul-18
Craig, sending you a PM.

30-Jul-18
Thanks everyone, this changes a lot of my fall priorities. So much info to absorb. Scott pm returned, Turk- might take you up on that. Hoping to get some boots on the ground soon. Life is good!

30-Jul-18
Oh, ‘Hawk...and screw whitetails until your Fort Riley hunt is over. The year I drew a friend couldn’t believe I didn’t shoot the first elk I saw so I could get back to bowhunting deer.

09-Aug-18
Congrats, A lil input, I was there for a lil over 20years, took two cow elk on Fort Riley. Just like the other guys stated, scout, scout and scout. But here is a lil help, early season, look at the west side of post across 77 and also in area Q north of MPRC also east side is good areas C and F. Later on in season, look at area M across from range 52 middle of November and into December, it"s great area to catch them coming and going from impact area. Anytime the fan is open, mainly K and H area its a must hunt but will not be open a lot. Wish you luck kill yourself a big one.

11-Aug-18
Congrats to all who drawed tags, just a little information for all hunters if you have not checked the isportsman page for fort riley, most hunting areas for fort riley will be closed this year due to training, be sure to check to try to adjust for vacation. Was posted yesterday. I believe the dates were Oct 27 to Nov 21 closed and then again Nov 26 to Dec 18.

11-Aug-18
Thanks everyone . Its going to make it even tougher being closed for 2 months. I really feel for anyone with a nov or dec cow tag.

12-Aug-18
Nov and Dec are when some of the biggest bulls are killed, too. Mine was Nov. 13, two years later a buddy shot his around the 12th. Seven of the nine killed my season were November or December. A buddy has shot two (auction permits) and both the last week of December.

23-Aug-18
Any recommendation on a processor if I get lucky when its warm?

23-Aug-18
Clay Center Locker has always done a good job with my deer, antelope and hogs.....

23-Aug-18
Locker in Riley as well. They usually keep the walk in cooler around back running and open so if they are closed you can still drop it off in there to keep it cold and call them when they open back up

29-Sep-18

Scott in Camo's embedded Photo
Scott in Camo's embedded Photo
Shot a cow Thursday morning. It is a very tough hunt. The full moon made for zero movement during evening hunts. At times the mosquitos were almost unbearable due to the recent flooding. I scouted 8 days in August and shot her on my 14th day in Sept.

I had major help from a couple bowsiters in Dennis (Ruthless09) and Mike (OH-bowhunter). I can't thank those guys enough.

29-Sep-18
Congrats Scott she will be tasty.

29-Sep-18
Congrats. I heard the artillery and wondered if you had a good chance. Now for those whitetail. And I'd also recommend clay center locker. Used them back in the day every year and they did well by my dad and brother.

29-Sep-18
Great job Scott, u did the work and had everything prepped before u came, was glad to meet u and make new friend, goods shooting and way to hang in there.

29-Sep-18
Good job, some fine eating there. My son killed a bull there two years ago and I think it's about gone. Some bulls are being killed many many miles from the Fort this year.

29-Sep-18
All Fort Riley elk are elk well-earned. She looks huge. Was your permit A/O?

29-Sep-18
I drew for December cow. There was I believe one other guy bowhunting. Everybody else was doing muzzleloader.

I was hunting the bulls to find the cows. She had a 6x6 behind her.

• Sitka Gear