onX Maps
Spot n stalk?
South Dakota
Contributors to this thread:
Mnhunter1980 29-Jul-18
Aces11 31-Jul-18
29-Jul-18
Hey guys thanks for all your valuable information I have already received for my first SD deer hunt. I would like some feed back on my plan to see if I’m headed in the right direction.

I am new to spot and stalk since I am a stand hunter from MN. My plan is to start our day off early from a vantage point to try to glass a buck. Try to wait to stalk until the buck has bedded. Depending on the wind and terrain plan a stalk accordingly. Does this sound like I’m on the right track? Is there a certain time of day we should be stalking/glassing etc? Any general info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

31-Jul-18
If you see a deer moving and think you can get in front of him and ambush him you can always try that. If you see one bed down or find one bedded down you can always try and sneak up on him, just make sure the wind is in your favor. A lot of times when your sneaking on deer there is others bedded in the area you may not see. When you do find one bedded make sure you look over the area good and try to find some specific landmarks. Because when you sneak around the other side it is easy to get turned around and will not look familiar. When you are getting close to where you think the deer is bedded don’t get impatient if you don’t see him right away. I have had many stalks you think the deer must not be there or you maybe in the wrong spot and get frustrated and stand up or stop taking your time. Next thing you know the deer stands up and busts out right by you. Binoculars are your friend even when getting real close. I have had so many times you are really close and don’t see the deer bedded, and you look through your binoculars and see the top of antlers and he’s already in bow range. When getting close to where I think he is I look and scan the area with binoculars and if I don’t see anything I will scoot forward a few feet and look again with binoculars. If your hunting with a buddy you can have one stalk and one stay and watch from far away. Can work out some hand signals so he can let you know if the deer is right or left of you. You will definitely blow more stalks than ones that work out. Don’t get frustrated. Keep at it and have fun!

• Sitka Gear