bowhawk75 15-Oct-18
Kevin Dill 16-Oct-18
buci 313 16-Oct-18
Zim 16-Oct-18
Zbone 16-Nov-18
Kevin Dill 19-Nov-18
Zbone 19-Nov-18
31-Jul-18
Seems there is always a new record or potential monster showing up every season. I for one have never seen a giant (180"+ in my book) but only a few small drop tine bucks over the years. I shot small buck last year with a 3rd main on his right side.

Keeping this clean from posting specifics, have you guys seen big non-typicals hunting your local farms, favorite spots, etc?

15-Oct-18
I’ve had the exact same question/thought. I hunt in Hardin county and I’ve never got a non-typical on camera. I’ve got some nice bucks (160” +) but always typical frames. Oddly enough, if you download the Ohio big buck club registry and play with the data I don’t see too many non-typicals for my county. I assume it’s simply a factor of genetics? Would be curious to hear a deer biologist’s thoughts on the subject.

15-Oct-18
4 years ago had a huge non typical that was seen on the farm I hunt. Was probably close to 190 inches. Never had him close enough for me and my recurve. The buck was shot the second day of gun season by the neighboring landowner. The only other one I've seen was the year before. Was a 6x5 with a 6 inch drop tine on his right main beam. He wasn't a huge buck, probably around 150".

15-Oct-18
Bowhawk, I just glanced at your profile and looks like you have taken some very nice bucks with traditional equipment. Pretty impressive

15-Oct-18
Thanks, I get lucky every now and then.

16-Oct-18
Taken by me a few years ago. Image by my taxidermist friend. The kill was 10 yards with my recurve and a cedar shaft. Jackson County. 5 total drop points. The 2 longest are 12"+. Maximum outside spread was 27" green. Physical weight just over 300 pounds. Full velvet when killed on Oct 13.

16-Oct-18
Awesome buck Kevin, a very unique rack.

16-Oct-18
Wow, Kevin that's a great buck. Thanks for sharing! I knew there were some non-typicals around, I just never see them, haha

16-Nov-18
Yeah wow Kevin, great buck... Luv those drop clubs...

Just now noticed the post... Was that buck still in velvet or taxidermist make him look like that? If velvet, curious the date and if after September, was he missing something between his legs...8^)

19-Nov-18
Buck was killed Oct 13. I hunted him 2 seasons and have video from both years. Always in velvet and never did rub. He did shed antlers annually but I was unable to find them. He was a very dominant deer and many times I observed him bluffing and threatening other big bucks, which always backed down. His body was huge and prime. He had his tools, too.

19-Nov-18
Cool, thanks for sharing....

Would have been nice to find velvet sheds, that'd be crazy... I think some velvet does shed too... From what I've read some do, some don't... A shed velvet antler would be a unique find... Ya probably have to find it before the critter got after it though..

• Sitka Gear