ki-ke 07-Aug-18
wytex 08-Aug-18
wyohunter1 09-Aug-18
ki-ke 11-Aug-18
mxgust 15-Aug-18
SdDiamondArcher 08-Sep-18
ki-ke 11-Sep-18
06-Aug-18
Never been to your state! So stoked for my first elk hunt in Wyoming.....Can't take the wait...

Anyway, we are starting in Denver and will be on the road by noon. We are hunting just south of Buffalo. We don't need to be to our destination until 2PM on day 2 of our drive. To maximize the scenic value and get the most out of a day and 1/2 to get there, what would be your route? Also, where would you overnight, eat, drink and otherwise make the most of the drive?

Looking forward to my visit! Please help me make the most of it!

Thanks

07-Aug-18
I-25 to 287 north of Ft. Collins to Laramie, 30/287 to Medicine Bow, 487 to 220 and Casper, I-25 North of Casper is one way. The quickest would be I-25 all the way, through Cheyenne, Wheatland, Douglas, Glenrock, Casper. Either way is good. You could go real crazy and go up through Estes Park down into Granby, Kremmling, Walden, Saratoga, over the Snowies into Centennial, then Laramie and catch the route above if you wany to see some spectacular scenery.

07-Aug-18
Thanks Hi Mtn! My ideal would be to get near where I want to be on the 1st day driving and be in a position to hike into some decent fishing the next morning, fly fish for a few hours and be into Buffalo by 2'ish.

Any suggestions incredibly appreciated! PM works

Thanks again!

08-Aug-18

wytex's embedded Photo
Sybille bulls
wytex's embedded Photo
Sybille bulls
If you decide to take 287 from Ft Collins to Laramie, stop at The LIbrary for lunch, grab a few cans of good local beer and then take 287 north out of town to Highway 34. Take that east through Sybille Canyon to Wheatland. The G&F research station has some big bulls in the high fence pens along highway 34. Stop and take a look. You'll hit I-25 at Wheatland from 34. Might see some bighorns at the Morton Pass area too.

09-Aug-18
Go right to Buffalo and drive up on the Bighorns and fish. Then you'll be right not to far away from where you need to be.

11-Aug-18
Thanks for the tip Wyo! I like the way you think...PM sent

15-Aug-18
I would do the same. The scenic drives in that area take you pretty far out of your way or are only scenic for a short period of time. If you have access to a drift boat stopping and fishing along the North Platte west of Casper is definitely worth it. There is also some decent fishing around Laramie but you couldn't go wrong heading straight into the Bighorns

08-Sep-18
If you're wanting to fish, I would head straight to Buffalo and overnight there. I live in Cheyenne, there's not much for scenery in this part of the state. Another option you would have, and you could still fish along the way, would be take Denver to Casper, then from Casper head West to Shoshoni. This will put you Boysen Reservoir. Once there, head north through Wind River Canyon to Thermopolis, Worland, and then Ten Sleep. Stop in at Ten Sleep Brewing Company, grab a cold pint, then head in to the Big Horns. This is the highway that will take you to Buffalo, and all along the way there is fishing available. Tensleep creek has always been good to me.

After typing all this out, I now realize this post is over a month old, but i'm hitting submit anyway!

11-Sep-18
HAHA! @SdDiamond! What you suggested is exactly what we intend to do! I'll send you some pics of where we fished after we return. In your great state starting Saturday!

• Sitka Gear