Missouribreaks 23-Sep-18
jjs 24-Sep-18
ground hunter 24-Sep-18
casekiska 24-Sep-18
Missouribreaks 24-Sep-18
Reggiezpop 24-Sep-18
07-Aug-18
Reigning in Crossbows

Arrowtrade has long seen the potential crossbows had to introduce non-archers to bowhunting and enable older bowhunters to keep in the field. Now, after attending the April ATA Board of Directors meeting, I will admit some reservations.

At that meeting, some board members were concerned that powerful new crossbows were far outpacing vertical bows in performance and would be difficult to consider as primitive weapons entitled to long seasons. The surprising data from the 2017 Wisconsin hunting season, during which crossbow hunters tagged more deer than vertical bow hunters for the first time in history, also drew a lot of attention from the board. Crossbows were just legalized for all Wisconsin deer hunters in 2014 and that is pretty dramatic evidence that modern, high-performance crossbows are easy to use and highly effective.

Comments from retailers and a distributor on the board also indicated anecdotal evidence that crossbows are not serving as a gateway to other forms of archery. Since little practice is needed to stay proficient with them, that can hurt sales of arrows, releases, sights, and many other accessories that retailers depend on to stay profitable.

The board voted 15-2 to study whether the ATA position statement on crossbows, adopted back in 2008, should now be revised. The existing statement reads, in part, "The ATA believes that crossbows are viable shooting and hunting equipment that provide opportunity for a segment of America's hunters and recreational shooters...The ATA leaves the seasons and regulation governing the use of crossbows for hunting to each state wildlife agency. ATA believes that when populations of wildlife, like deer, are overabundant, state agencies should make use of every type of hunting equipment to help control and manage those populations." A study group consisting of staff and board members has formed, has met once and is in the process of gathering data, Arrowtrade was told by the ATA early in June.

In the meantime, I would suggest major crossbow manufacturers declare a halt to the speed race. Speeds in excess of 400 fps and advertisements claiming the accuracy potential at 100 yards and beyond are only going to draw more negative attention from game departments. Nobody in the bowhunting industry will benefit if archery seasons are reduced as a result of the perception that crossbows are morphing into crossguns.

Major sports typically set equipment limitations, from the characteristics of golf balls to the types of engines used in NASCAR. The eight major manufacturers that sponsor the North American Crossbow Federation could consider a 400 fps limit: nothing to be advertised or warranted beyond that. Existing models that exceed that could be packaged with heavier arrows to fit within the new guidelines. With the speed limit in place, manufacturers could still innovate in ways to improve accuracy, comfort, reliability, and ease of use.

Setting these voluntary limits on crossbows would help them be viewed by the public and state game agencies as equipment that is not radically different in performance from a compound bow

-Arrowtrade, July 2018

07-Aug-18
So whats next ban black powder guns that can shoot 600 yards and rifles that are taking game at over 1000 yards . Things are changing people need to get used to it or they may loose it all . Me as long as the kill number doesn't go way up I don't see the difference . I worry more that its getting easier and easier for the violators because of the changes in registration etc. They caught a person up here last year with 4 unregistered bucks in his garage .

07-Aug-18
Nothing that is voluntary ever works. How about limiting xbow hunters to doe only. Ya, that will work just as good as manufacturers doing anything voluntarily.

07-Aug-18
There are many in the archery/bowhunting arena who would love to say out loud, "See, I told you so!" However, political correctness dictates a less argumentative and controversial response. Still though, those who never strayed from allegiance to archery enjoy the quite satisfaction of knowing they were right all along. I was one of them.

07-Aug-18
As crossbows spread out of whitetail regions, limited draws will become even more limited, and they should.

07-Aug-18
I told everyone so, and am not ashamed of it.

07-Aug-18
Did someone say “crossbows?” Aargh!

07-Aug-18
Get ready - Crossbows over 430 fps - and choose your color, blaze orange or blaze pink?

Arrowtrade article = ATA opinion = a big oopps - our compound mfgr's are taking offense to the crossbow favoritism. Sales are down. Still about the money.

07-Aug-18
WI. has the "perfect" legislation in place to restrict the crossgun season. But, even with the glaring facts out there, and a very accurate and well presented speech by Kaz, Our wonderfully governed state has chosen to ignore it all and "follow the money". Brilliant !

07-Aug-18
The money comes from the hunters who spend it on crossbows and other high tech, hunters are to blame, 100%..............

07-Aug-18
I believe that change will come, and it will be in the 2019 season. What it will be I have no idea. I talked to an industry guy at the Deer Fest Sunday. 3 years ago, I went thru the cross bow testing tent, and it was jammed. Sunday you were lucky to see 20 people there......

My archery guy sells lots of compounds, till July, than crossbows for the most part prior to the season. He also sells a lot of recurves, (high end) non hunter competition style bows for field archery, which is popular with the younger crowd

Its all cyclic. as far as the issues, some guys get upset with what others shoot. I have trad friends, who just get all worked up over compounds,,,, I have no idea why they do,,,,,, I shoot it all, its all fun

07-Aug-18
Here we go again...

07-Aug-18
Missouri, WHAT would we do without your valuable posts and input? We should all just pack it in, fellas...

07-Aug-18
Xguns, LOL.

07-Aug-18
Lets lay it out on the line... I here a lot of bull shit from a lot of hunters here, so buckjabber what do you shoot?

My hunting set up is a 43llb Black Hunter long bow tribute Easton aluminum arrows and 125 grains coc heads, DRT's

like I said what do you shoot? Really I do not care what you shoot or anyone else.....

07-Aug-18
Ground hunter...53lb WhippenStick longbow, Easton Legacy 2117's, & 175 grain Grizzly single bevel. I'll bee 66 this Sunday, been shooting this way forever, and am too dam old to change now :^)

When I get to where I can no longer shoot my beloved sticks...I'm hanging it up.

07-Aug-18
whippen stick is a nice bow

08-Aug-18
Does Canada have a crossbow season?

08-Aug-18
62# @ 30" Wes Wallace Partner take-down recurve, 2315 XX75 Alum. Arrows, 135 Grain Zwicky Eskilite Broadhead.

08-Aug-18
rallison that is a nice set up...... I also shoot a compound.... 55lb Hoyt Carbon Spyder with fmjs, and 2 1/2 inch 4 fletch, with 125 grain heads

Wes Wallace, pretty hard bow to beat, hand one in my hands once, the guy almost sold it to me.....

Buck Jabber what is your set up?

08-Aug-18
sounds like a nice set up

08-Aug-18
60" RER Arroyo, 56# @ 31" draw, Carbon Express Heritage 350's, or 2219 Aluminums, 160 grain Snuffers.

08-Aug-18

Aluminum Rain's embedded Photo
Aluminum Rain's embedded Photo
The version I saw had an interesting prologue from RC.

08-Aug-18
They really need to stretch that out a bit to be worth changing. Most of us compound shooters can hit that 3 inch bullseye at 200 yards now. There really is no diff between a x gun & a compound. If they can do 400 I might get my fading eyes fixed & change over. Otherwise we just don't need a xgun in the woods. Why bother?

09-Aug-18
Bowhunting and the associated culture of hunting the hard way has been in decline for about 50 years, why stop now? Easier just to shorten seasons where need be, and reduce quotas in the limited license drawings.

09-Aug-18
How has bowhunting been in the decline for 50 years?

09-Aug-18
Don't bother Reggiezpop. It is a broken record with the same posts on every states' message board as well as the BGF board. Just sell all your stuff and find another hobby because bowhunting is done. Don't let your positive personal hunting experiences alter the viewpoint that bowhunting is done. I think some compound hunter shot one of his deer back in the 70s and he's never recovered.

09-Aug-18
Why does a Happy guy who admits to not being a hunter frequent these pages?

10-Aug-18
Lol you guys are still talking about crossbows here, on BOWSITE of all places!!!

Has the crossbow season not been reduced yet? I thought I heard that was going to happen some year?

Doesn't the DNR first have to decide too many deer are being harvested before the crossbow season would be reduced? I keep hearing/reading especially from DNR types that most areas still have piles and piles of deer, forests are being demolished, a tree can not grow, standing room only for deer in lots of places (elbow to elbow) causing CWD to pass like there is no tomorrow, and CWD is terrible, it will kill all the deer, so we must kill more deer before CWD kills them...we all know the story. ;-)

Anyway, I wonder when the DNR will decide too many deer are being harvested and reduce the crossbow season? Any ideas?

10-Aug-18
Bowhunting is what you make it...it's been the same for me since 1966.

I don't hunt as hard or as often as in my younger days, but I still hunt the same way...exception being tree stands. They weren't around then. Truth be told, considering some of the stupid stuff we did back then...I'm seriously impressed I'm still alive! Lol.

Today's new hunters also have a wealth of knowledge at their fingertips. I had one GPS, fish finder, and encyclopedia all rolled into one unit called, dad. :^)

I'm continuously reading the doom & gloom on these forums. I ain't buying it. One piece of advice I gave my kids is relevant here...stop worrying so much about things you have no control over, and concern yourself with things you do.

Life's short...start living while you're able.

10-Aug-18
Why does a Happy guy who admits to not being a hunter frequent these pages?

Hey Captain,

Nice to hear from you as always. How's the Greasers fishing?

Let me remind you, that like me, you too are not a real bowhunter because we both shoot compounds and not trad gear. It is that simple. I admit it. You know it but won't admit it. But, one thing that does differentiate us is that when the going gets tough, I stick with my compound because it is not all about the kill. You on the other hand switch to a gun to get 'er done. At least you have admitted to that. But, doesn't that make you a lazy vermin gun hunter as you stated? You can add that to your title as being a pro-crossbow voter/enabler willing to take payoffs for your stance. #nailedit

10-Aug-18
We do have control over many things in hunting & we do change them all the time. The xbow season will be changed just like the case law, the season length, the opening & closing times & many others. If we don't worry about things & sit on our hands & do nothing, we lose. Just like the back tag, the registration, babies buying tags & many more. Those of us that do sure could use some help. Those that don't should just shut the front door & be sheep.

10-Aug-18
HAPPYness is bliss. Your pathetic hunting carries over to your pathetic attempts to pretend you know anything about me. Carry on, and make sure you stop your son from hunting if he wounds another deer.

10-Aug-18
“Brought a smile to my face today. Lol“. So do little boys and whiskey. What was your point?

11-Aug-18
HAPPYness is bliss. Your pathetic hunting carries over to your pathetic attempts to pretend you know anything about me. Carry on, and make sure you stop your son from hunting if he wounds another deer.

Hey Captain Crossbow. That actually has a nice ring to it. Can I just call you CC for short? Wow, you should not type when you are angry. It is kind of pathetic.

It's OK to be a compound hunter. Just admit you are not a real bowhunter which we all know anyway given how to switch over to guns when the going gets tough. It's OK to be a gun hunter too but it is weird to call them lazy vermin when you are one unless that description fits you too. Seeing how you took the easy way out when the going got tough and switched to a gun to kill your turkey, that might apply to you. It is a tad hypocritical though.

As for my son. He and I have our own ethical rules that we both follow. If we hit one and lose it, we burn that tag for the year. 100% our choices. My son has been quite successful since then. But thanks for asking. Now, if you were simply bashing my son for losing a deer, let me remind you how your daughter hit a bear that you could not find and it was eventually found and eaten by wolves. Want to continue to play tit for tat CC?

So what will your price be from the Crossbow Federation when they ask for a single season? I know you have a price. Luckily for you, NDAs are a think of beauty unless you are Stormy Daniels of course.

11-Aug-18
Happy, you cannot play because you have nothing. I pity your son having to live by your convoluted ethics. Of course I only converse with you when I am bored and right now I am getting ready for another Africa trip. I can send pics if you’d like! Curiously, do you and your son only buy a deer license in sone emotional attempt to keep them from the hands of another who is much more of a threat to the deer? Lol!

11-Aug-18
Happy, you cannot play because you have nothing. I pity your son having to live by your convoluted ethics. Of course I only converse with you when I am bored and right now I am getting ready for another Africa trip. I can send pics if you’d like! Curiously, do you and your son only buy a deer license in sone emotional attempt to keep them from the hands of another who is much more of a threat to the deer? Lol!

Hey CC. Welcome back! No charters today? You only talk to me when you are bored? You must be bored often because you answer every retort every time I respond to one of your shots over my bow.

Don't feel sorry for me and my son. We have our ethics and those are our choices, not just mine. They follow similar principals that happen in Alaska and with many outfitters. You hit one, you lose it, you burn that tag. We are proud to voluntarily follow that mantra. Your opinion (or anyone else's) on that means nothing to us. It is our choice. In my son's last (and only) case, he chose to not shoot another doe but he still did have a buck tag. Remember that? Oh, BTW, when you recovered the wolf eaten bear your daughter lost (kudos to her for using her bow and not copping out with a gun like you do), did you tag it by chance? I bet not but I expect you to lie as you often do here.

Curiously, do you and your daughter only buy a bear license in sone (sic) emotional attempt to keep them from the hands of another who is much more of a threat to the bear? Lol! Your words, not mine, but tit for tat CC - tit for tat.

I hope you have your rifle in Africa to sit in those below ground moats waiting for an animal to come bury their head in a water hole for the PH to tell you if you can shoot it. I'd hate to see you struggle with your compound, so a gun should be your weapon of choice. After all, you are a self-admitted lazy vermin gun hunter (your words - not mine) #amirite.

Have a great trip CC. Be safe. Please do send some pictures. We'll chat again when you get back and am bored.

12-Aug-18
"The folks that are the experts are introverted and very humble, and are the ones that are truly admired and most of the time no one even knows."

Very true!

13-Aug-18
HAPPINESS, sitting in Germany on layover. Just wanted to say hi. Got all the “greaser” smell off my hands for this trip. By the way, the “mists” you reference, where did you see those? On your last trip in Africa? LOL! Thanks again for the entertainment.

13-Aug-18
Sounds like you are bored again CC or most likely, you really miss me since you're taking time to talk to me on your layover. I suspect it is the latter. You never did answer if you tagged the bear that was eaten by wolves? I hope you did the right thing. I'm guessing you have your gun so you can be successful in Africa. Be ready for when you PH says to shoot!!!! Be careful and have fun CC. I look forward to chatting when you return. I'm sure you'll check in here on your trip because you miss me.

13-Aug-18
Long layover so still here. By the way, where did you say you saw those “moats?” LOL! I quit giving you honest answers when you started exhibiting a propensity to lie so this is purely fun for me. Thanks again for participating on a hunting site when you have already admitted you are a non hunter. I do hope you allow your son to become a hunter. By the way, what is your favorite crossbow brand?

13-Aug-18
Really don't understand the beef with Happy? Not really asking either. He has always been an upstanding guy on here. Shares his opinions and that's been that.. Hope all is well HGL! If you get around to reading this. Send some good luck to your boy this year for me. I know you enjoy seeing others succeed..

14-Aug-18
Happygoliar likes to fabricate things to say when he runs short of facts.

15-Aug-18
Backplugger, you are not on a hunting trip, unless you are helping the bartender find another bottle. Lol!

21-Aug-18
Well, this escalated quickly. I for one am glad that in MN the crossbow season wasn't included in the regular archery hunt. I do believe cross bows have their place for less than abled bodies (disability or limited use of body). In my opinion today's cross bows, from a technical perspective, more like a firearm in that a projectile is "loaded" in place and a trigger is used to fire the weapon (usually fixed with a magnifying scope). These differences to me are material enough from vertical bows (trad and compound) to warrant their own season with restrictions. In MN a crossbow owner/user can use a cross bow during firearms season. MN boasts a lengthy firearm season unlike the 9 day season WI hosts. I would prefer MN to consider seasons much like WI firearms but I digress. My point is simply that i think cross bows are fine for harvesting deer but should not be considered acceptable during the regular archery season. We simply haven't seen the full technological advances with cross bows that we likely have gone through from Trad to Compound vertical archery (that too is debatable i guess).

Just one guy's opinion from across the border. Like i said in a different thread, you Sconnies have a much more active forum and i get more out of yours. I rarely post but read all of your threads.

21-Aug-18
The Captain and Happy should get a room.

21-Aug-18
Meh.

Was up North with my nine year old. Did some scouting, shooting (compound bows) and camping. It was great. There were some fun conversations about future hunts together.

My 14 year old has transferred to a new residency high school. A formal complaint was lodged with Mom that the dorm room needs some sort of personalized decoration. My wife texted a suggestion with a picture of one of my elk butt decoys that has seen better days. It was well received. Cracks me up.

Worried about the future of bowhunting? Introduce some kids to bow hunting. If your powers of persuasion are lacking, chase the wife around the house and make a new one from scratch.

I've got a few that I think will keep things going just fine.

Spend some time with a kid who's chomping at the bit for the future chance of being in the field with a bow and see that enthusiasm in your own eyes.

Share something positive. Make something better. Have fun. Attract some more people to bowhunting. Try not to sound like old ladies swinging purses.

22-Aug-18
Dulltool, er, ...knife, you buying?

22-Aug-18
+1 Orion

23-Aug-18
Orion well said brother!

23-Aug-18
Wow, after all summer and only checking in a few times I come back and read all this whining, all this name calling and then finally at the end we have Orion's post, made me smile a little, well said, move his post to the top and save someone else what I went through lol.

23-Sep-18

Missouribreaks's Link
New technology.

23-Sep-18
I like the look of the Excalibur assasin the best. I'll stick with my bow but I do think they all look pretty cool and I'd use one during the rifle season just for something different.

23-Sep-18
I like the Mission SUB 1. I can imagine myself as a youngster in grade school, dreaming of going "bow" hunting after classes.

24-Sep-18
A question, how many kids that started out with the x-gun will convert to a bow for hunting? Just imo there would be very few since it would cut into time and dedication.

24-Sep-18
take this to crossbow nation, and lets move on....... this is about bowhunting

24-Sep-18
Seems to me the bowhunters on this forum beat this to death sometime ago. Let's let a dead horse lie and get back to bowhunting. Best way to silence a crossbow discussion...ignore it, silence is the answer.

24-Sep-18
Are crossbow users bowhunters? Why were crossbows in Petersons "Bowhunting" Magazine?

24-Sep-18
Missouri, back under your rock...

• Sitka Gear