Babysaph 04-Nov-18
Babysaph 04-Nov-18
BowtechDan 06-Nov-18
hookman 06-Nov-18
Babysaph 07-Nov-18
hookman 09-Nov-18
Babysaph 10-Nov-18
07-Aug-18
What kind of treestands do you guys use? Ladder, hangon or climber?

07-Aug-18
I use all 3. 5 hang on stands along with climbing sticks hawk, muddy, lone wolf, 20ft Duke, x stand ladder stand, 20ft Odyssey, muddy ladder stand, and a summit climber. at 65 years old i find myself using ladder stands more and more.

07-Aug-18
me too buddy. I use a lot of those on my property in places that produce year after year. I just bout a new tract of mtn land and need to move around more on that. I use the summit climber but I like a hang on stand because I can get in better trees and am not handcuffed by a climber in that situation. I like the lone wolf sticks and have all kinds of hang on stands but they are heavy. I am looking for something lighter. Might try to lone wolf alpha hang on. I heard it was light

07-Aug-18
JR are you trying to be the largest landowner in Randolph County?

07-Aug-18
although not quite as old as Hoppie (63) I used ladder stands only last year still have an API climber but only a couple times in last 4 yrs

07-Aug-18
I'm in pendleton county.,

07-Aug-18
I'm in pendleton county.,

07-Aug-18
I hunt public land fairly often so my climber gets used in those areas . As far as concealment goes i have always liked a hang on the best but just cant hang them like i once did or as high either. With that said We all need to remind our self as well as others be safe. Wear a good safety harness and use a safety line .

07-Aug-18
I’ve went pretty much all the way with ladderstands due to safety reasons

07-Aug-18
I agree with that too Gobbler.,

08-Aug-18
I use ladder and climber. At 68 getting more concerned over weight. Getting ready to order an X-Stand Mimi climber as soon as they are back in stock. Only weighs a little over 11lbs. My Summit is something like 21lbs. Will make it much easier to move to different spots. Can't just leave one out there on this property.

08-Aug-18
I think Baker climbing stands are the safest and easiest to use.

08-Aug-18
Hunted many times out of a Baker Death Stand , While wearing my treebark camo . Oh, those where the days LOL

08-Aug-18
I remember when I first used a Baker stand hunting with Dave Samuels near Morgantown when I was still in dental school. It was easy to get down the tree I will say that. LOL

08-Aug-18
I still have two bakers, one with and one without the hand climber. Probably should leave them out somewhere for a treestand thief to steal. To answer your question, I use climbers and lock-ons. I've been wanting to get a ladderstand for one of my easier to get to doe harvest spots.

08-Aug-18
We use ladder stands in our main rut travel cooridors on the farm. I have an api bowhunter climbing stand that is comfortable but heavy and hard to pack so I hardly use it. I also have a loc on limit I use for mobile setups.

Would like to have a lone wolf or xop stand and stick combo.

08-Aug-18
I have 3 (22) foot ladder stands, 2 climbing stands and 15-18 hang ons ! Due to 4 surgeries the Drs (2) dif , don’t want me climbing either steps or climbing sticks , they say If i tear up what they’ve fixed they can’t get me back where I’m at now. I still climb with the mini ladders or sticks but I no longer use screw in steps ! I know this Post was about Tree Stands but I have also incorporated 5-6 ground blinds ! They work great if you get them out early and then brush them in ! Sorry for the long Post !

08-Aug-18
Yea Ron I'm going more to ladder stands too but im going to br scouting/hunting my new place this year and want to be mobile. I don't use screw in steps either. My friend in Va about bled to death after one broke and he came down on the next one. Almost lost his arm.

09-Aug-18
Baker, hah. I remember those, back in the early 80's I had one the size of a postal stamp, 14 by 14 or so. If you weighed more that 150 lbs you probably couldn't sit in it but it would climb. Graduated to one about 22 or so by maybe 25 that, if you hit a crook in the tree, would come sliding back down. One morning in GA I snuck in behind a bean field and climbed this extremely tall pine. When I got about 17 feet up the darn thing slid all the way to the bottom taking a patch of skin of about 4 inches with it. It hurt like nobody's business, but I just turned to my left side and shimmied back up, hit that same spot and down it came taking a patch of skin, same size, off of the left side of my chest. I gave up after that knowing I scared everything within a mile, rolled up my t-shirt and scampered down to another permanent stand bout a half mile away, cursing with each step. Blood dripped for hours, tons of mosquitoes the size of a quarter clinging to my wound as I sat there in agony for about 2 hours. Should of burnt that damn stand right there for a few years later hunting in the mountains of SC I tried dismounting the stand via a 5 foot high leap when my foot went into the nylon strap and my upper body slammed down into ground, broke my wrist that day.

Now, Lone Wolf Alpha with the tree steps. If you can afford them, best stand I've hunted out of. I have 4 of them, one for each wind along with one of the lone wolf swing blade style climbers.

09-Aug-18
Yep , they can be dangerous ! I’m now using lifelines on all my stands except the climbers.

09-Aug-18
Couple years ago, LW offered those green aluminum stands for about 70 dollars cheaper. Not quite the same as the cast aluminum grey ones, but 97 percent there. Bought 2 to go with my cast aluminum ones. Cannot beat them, I put in limbed trees, crooked trees, straight tress, limbless trees. But they'll run you about 450 dollars with 4 steps, but worth it. Not to mention, great customer support.

09-Aug-18
I use a lifeline in all stands. Even the climbers. I am anal about it. I won't even hang a ladder without having one above me. I am always by myself in remote areas and no one would no where I was if I fell.

09-Aug-18
JR - would you like to meet up some time and try out the treesaddle I have? You never know you might end up liking it! I use it with climbing sticks - you are always roped to the tree. Your more the. Welcome to give it a try. Doesn’t get any lighter .....

10-Aug-18
May try that.

10-Aug-18
Just let me know - I really like mine.

02-Sep-18
I like ladders, but most locations i want to be higher than they will get me. I mostly use lock ons with ladders.

02-Sep-18
I just saw a news item on Fox News web site about a 70 year old hunter in the northwest who fell from his tree stand and got tangled in his harness and hung upside down for two days. He is now in ICU under medically induced coma. Scary. I hunt almost entirely on the ground these days.

02-Sep-18
I thought he had his feet caught in the strap on his lower climbing portion because he wasn't wearing a harness.

03-Sep-18
Maybe there has been more info on it but initially the report was that he became entangled in his "harness". But often initial reports are not real accurate. Any way, it was bad for the poor guy.

03-Sep-18
It was. I can't imagine.

04-Sep-18
I use all 3. I prefer hung stands but I usually hunt in climbers. I like ladder stands too but usually like to get higher than they can get me.

04-Sep-18
Calhoun County here. I use the Summit Viper because I can set up practically anywhere I want. Especially in spots that have never been hunted. You can be up the tree and ready before the deer know your there. Btw I hunt 20 ft. + Good luck this coming season

04-Nov-18
I just got a Lone Wolf climber with out shooting rail and love it. It is lightweight, packs up flat so it is easy to carry, and quiet.

04-Nov-18

Babysaph's embedded Photo
Babysaph's embedded Photo
I can tell I'm getting old. Lol. I have gone to 80 percent ladder stands especially since my shoulder injury. I only get up 8-12 feet. I made some arms that I have that swivel and go around the front and sides of the stand . I drill about 8 holes in them per side and place foliage in them. I use pine branches to place in the holes. Oak holds its limbs longer but they get noisy when they die. I can sit and stand undetected and get away with more movement than just sitting on the ground. I seem to just educate the deer on the ground. Here is a pic of my wife in one we are working on.

04-Nov-18
Sorry about the sideway oil. Not sure how that happened

06-Nov-18
LW sit-n-climb wide for straight trees, and a LW alpha II and 4 sticks for limbed trees.

06-Nov-18
API Grandslam magnum climbing stand, a couple ladder stands and various hang ons with stick poles and plenty of safety straps and ropes. Also add extra ratchets to hang ons. I use some screw in steps at the stand to get hold of getting in stand. I am always attached to safety strap getting in and out.

07-Nov-18
I do the same thing Hookman. I use climbing steps to get in and out as well and have a safety vest that allows me to get down in the event of a fall. You can also get a descender that Walmart sells that will lower you down if you fall. No good to have your safety vest catch you and hold you there.

09-Nov-18
I have one of those safety harnesses that you can let yourself down with, A doctor invented it can't think of the name right now, but it is a great harness.

10-Nov-18
Rescue one. Dr. Wood invented it. His brother Tom and I used to hunt and fish together. He was a state trooper.,

• Sitka Gear