Jebediah 08-Aug-18
Fran 08-Aug-18
Will 08-Aug-18
Belchertown Bowman 09-Aug-18
hickstick 09-Aug-18
Will 09-Aug-18
peterk1234 09-Aug-18
07-Aug-18
Any of you guys pressure canning your stew meats, chili, venison meatballs, etc? I have been considering canning for over a year and finally pulled the trigger on one because my daughter works at farm stand. They throw out huge amounts of fresh vegetables almost daily, so I figured I would take them off their hands and can them. I'm thinking it would be good for venison as well, save freezer space and provide longer storage options. Pete

07-Aug-18
I'm thinking about doing this also, Peter. I've done a ton of canning jams and maple syrup, but never pressure canning meat or fish. I mostly want to stock up on easy to reheat meals up at my camp. Which pressure canner did you end up buying?

08-Aug-18
Presto 23 quart canner. It seems to be the most popular and it is not too expensive. I do a lot of pressure cooking and own two stainless cookers. I like the extra durability of stainless, but the canners get very expensive in the stainless versions.

08-Aug-18
Well, I just got a box of peaches left at my house. So, I went home at lunch and made my first batch of canned peaches. If those goes well then I am going to raid a produce department. Meatballs or stew will be after that.

Oh god, I am turning into a prepper.

08-Aug-18
Sometimes a box of peaches just appears at your house? That’s pretty awesome!

08-Aug-18
Peter Is there a specific pressure cooker that you would recommend?

08-Aug-18
Is that the same as regular canning? We do that with some things, and the misses lacto ferments some stuff as well...

09-Aug-18
There is nothing wrong with preparing,..

Better to be prepared than not,.. and it is cheap to do so!

09-Aug-18
Pressure canning is different than boil canning, Will. absolute necessity to do the pressure method if involving meat...even then its risky. the balance of acidity, pressure, head space, etc all has to be perfect.

we regular canned a bunch of tomato sauce last couple years and mostly use it to make chili....but I wanted to can meat sauce for pasta so we did some research and decided it wasn't worth it. so we just can our regular pasta sauce, brown some meat and pour it over the browned meat.

Good luck Peter....eager to see how it goes.

09-Aug-18
Interesting Hick. Wondered if it was different. We do Jams, Salsa, Sourkraut, various other fermented items from beets to carrots... And some times we can green beans and tomato's together (insta soup)... But I'd never heard of pressure canning.

09-Aug-18
Pressure canning works with higher temps than a hot water bath, around 240 degrees. This is absolutely necessary for lower acid foods. That's all I got :) I am just learning. I just did some peaches.

Fran, I pressure cook as well, quite a bit. I own two of those bad bows. Home cooked meals that take hours are done in minutes :)

A pressure canner can handle higher pressure than a pressure cooker. Really interesting stuff. Imagine being able to store stew meat, meatballs, veggies and soups at a hunting camp year round :)

• Sitka Gear