MA_Bowhunter 08-Aug-18
TT-Pi 08-Aug-18
jdrdeerslayer 08-Aug-18
Will 08-Aug-18
mrw 08-Aug-18
bowandspear 09-Aug-18
bigcountry 09-Aug-18
08-Aug-18
Pat, the fearless leader of bowsite, put an article up, maybe last week on the home page discussing sighting in 2" low so that in the heat of the moment you would be less likely to hit high.

It's an interesting concept.

I missed a few deer low years and years and years ago, and have as a result, gained a tendency to aim close to the center of the body (vertically) and that has resulted in sailing a few over backs and 3-4 spine shots leading to quick kills over the years. When I read pat's post, I got curious, I've been thinking about going from 27 to 25 for my single pin setting... But I'm contemplating 23 now. I've only shot a few over 30yds, most are inside 20, a few 20-30 and probably 2-3 over that. Max being 37.

Our consciousness is a beast, so if I know I set the pin 2" low, that should, on paper, auto correct, but if I just reduce the distance I set the pins at, if I under estimate range or dont bend well from the waist (thanks for the reminder on this question Bruce!) the negative "high" hit impact on paper should be lower.

In other words, I'm pretty much 2-3" high at 10yds, low at 30yds and at 40 if I aim for the spine I hit the lungs (well, it works on 3d deer and on the one I shot at 37yds :)). So, what if I was a little lower at 30, less high at 10 and held at the top of the hair at say 35 (I'd have to try this out), could that be better?

I've played with so few things on my bow in years I'm hesitant, but I think I'm going to mess with it...

How about any of you guys, did you read Pat's article and what did it get you thinking?

08-Aug-18
I read the article and thought about it a bit, but I'm not sure it would do anything for me. I've only hit one deer high and I'm pretty sure the deer didn't drop at the shot as Pat discusses in the article. I believe it was 100% my error, a combination of a short shot combined with dropping my bow arm.

Also, I'm one of those people that would set their clock 10 minutes fast to help keep me on time and then not worry about it because I know it's set 10 minutes fast...

08-Aug-18
read it. interesting concept for guys using range finders and exact yardage numbers on their sights / pins.

08-Aug-18
I haven't read it but one thing I have learned in my years.........don't mess with what ain't broke. I find when I do it just adds stress and mess to the situation. If Im shooting good Im not looking to change a thing. If I had a thought of messing with things like you are contemplating I'd do it in January after the season is over ...................

08-Aug-18
I’m just going to sight in and aim a little below center. If I decide to shoot a grouse, squirrel, rabbit etc I want to be dead on. Although sighting in low would have bagged me a grouse at 5 yards a few years ago as I just went over it’s back twice!

08-Aug-18
I aim 2/3 down from top of deer so plenty of room for crouch (string jump) down of deer. Of course I shoot from ground now but seems to work well. Think sighting in 2 inches low is counter productive. But who can argue with Pat's success.

When I rifle hunted for Elk the outfitterhad us sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards. So maybe there is something to it.

08-Aug-18
I like my pin to be accurate to the distance it’s set for. I wouldn’t over think it if I were you. Just visualize where you want to exit. I have to also remind myself to NOT rush the shot. Every bad hit I’ve had has been operator error. Not the equipment, it was me.

08-Aug-18
Kind of what Bruce said. For whatever reason, all of Pats deer seem to jump at the shot. Mine only do tgat when they are spooked before the shot. Pat always compensates low more than i would ever consider.

08-Aug-18

Know your yardage, set your pin/ pins accurately, aim for the heart.

08-Aug-18
aim for the heart, sitting in low is a bad idea

08-Aug-18
I like what you all are saying. Aim for heart and if you mess up you likely miss low or hit lungs. I need to focus on that...

08-Aug-18
BC is spot on.

09-Aug-18
I sure don't miss this technology thing messing with my head. I traded that for missing tenderloin in my freezer in 2017... But this is my year ;P

09-Aug-18
For me, pins are dead nuts on for yardage. I have always practiced to shoot at the lower half of a deer. Never aim higher than half way up. The only time I will aim at the half way mark is from out of treestands... I take the half way up and split it with the bottom under the chest.

• Sitka Gear