Ground blind for bear hunting?
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
Sawdude 08-Aug-18
MF 08-Aug-18
Jeff in MN 08-Aug-18
Mike F 08-Aug-18
08-Aug-18
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on using a hub blind for bear hunting? Do the bears bother them. Thinking about putting it up a couple weeks before season opens. Do you need to shoot through the netting? I will be using a bow at 30 yards. I have never shot a bear so I'm getting excited!

08-Aug-18
Bigger mature bears will leave it alone but those younger bears will probably have fun with it. Make a ground blind out of natural materials, you don't need much.

08-Aug-18

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Ditto what Mike says. Heck I have shot many bears just sitting on a chair with no blind and no significant amount of cover. Might not be the best approach for a first timer tho. I was a newbie using this tactic, sitting there looking at the bait. Next thing I know here is a bear looking at me from 4' away, eye to eye. We both remained frozen for what seemed like a long time. He turned and boogied out. I walked back to another bait thinking he was spooked too bad to come back with me there. (not true) I timed it so I could sneak back to the first bait just before quitting time. Even took my shoes off a ways back for stealth. He was back, on the bait and I shot him with a doughnut in his mouth. I know a few people that had their blinds trashed over nite, mine included. Like Mike said, probably young bears. Natural material from the area of the bait is a very good option, especially if you can set it up weeks ahead of time.

I took this pic from the ground less than 15 yards from him while sitting in a folding chair and very little cover in front of me.

08-Aug-18
Ditto what Mike said. Leave the hub blind at home and build a natural blind. I sat with a hunter of mine a few years back and had a blast watching the bears at ground level.

• Sitka Gear