Trapper 09-Aug-18
DanWesson357 13-Aug-18
PAOH 15-Aug-18
Feedjake 17-Aug-18
horsethief51 17-Aug-18
rust4brains 21-Aug-18
twistedlimb 29-Aug-18
08-Aug-18
Which power and objective lens (8x42, 10x42, 10x50 etc.) binoculars do you guys prefer for hunting deer in Penn's Woods? How about spring turkeys? Coyote's?

08-Aug-18
I’ve always used cheap binocs, but after scouting earlier this summer with some friends with decent binocs, I will invest in a good pair.

I see good reviews on the Leupold McKenzie 10x42’s

08-Aug-18
Perry, 10 power binoculars are fine for glassing distant hillsides but I’m pretty sure you’ll find them way too powerful for most bowhunting in PA. I have a pair of 8x Zeiss that I find marginal. Great glass but a bit too much magnification in the early season woods. My favorites are 7x Bushnell Custom Compacts I’ve had since the 70s.

08-Aug-18
Ya better buy a pair of chaps first there snake bite:)

08-Aug-18
I agree with Phil. There aren’t many places in PA where 10x are needed and in most places, like in the woods, they’re actually a hindrance. If you hunt in the woods most of the time, check out the Maven B3 6x30s. They may very well be the best deer hunting binoculars out there and at $500 for glass that is as good as the big dollar euro brands, they are certainly the best value out there. If you want a little more power they have an 8x30. They have a demo program that is unbeatable and if you love the demos you can just keep them and save some money.

08-Aug-18

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
You guys are probably right about the big woods. But I am hunting more open field edges now and hope to do more coyote and groundhog hunting in the future, so that’s why I am leaning towards 10x. Also hope to use them out west in the future.

6 or 8x would not be optimal in this scenario

08-Aug-18
That’s why you need more than one pair. ;-)

Seriously though. Whatever size you decide on, you owe it to yourself to check out the Mavens. I’m a huge Leupold fan but when it comes to binoculars, the Mavens blow them out of the water. They don’t have the name recognition yet but they’ll hold their own with the Euro brands that cost 3x as much.

09-Aug-18
Ok- Thanks Steve- will check out the Mavens.

09-Aug-18
Nikon 8 powers for under $150 are one of the best I have tried for PA bowhunting. I took 10 power Bruntons with bigger objective lens out west that were good for antelope. I hated the extra weight and size though. I got a larger objective 8 power monocular I will be using for bowhunting this year. It attaches nicely to my harness on a bungee and goes in and out of the pouch quite easily.

09-Aug-18
Hey Art, where did you get that little chair?

09-Aug-18
Thanks for everyone's input. The reason I started the post is that Bass Pro has a really good deal on Vortex Diamondback 10x50. The price is so good I was tempted to buy them but deep down I think 8x42 might be the best do-all size for everything in PA.

13-Aug-18
Because I wear eyeglasses the #1 most important feature for me was eye relief. Sounds like you have already decided on magnification, but there are other considerations. That being said I have had Leupold Cascades for almost a decade and they are excellent for my PA bow and rifle hunting purposes.

15-Aug-18
Love my 6x32 vortex vipers. I am amazed at how bright they are in early morning & late evening.

17-Aug-18
I use Vortex Diamondback 8x's here in PA and they work well. A couple years ago I was hunting mule deer in ND with a pair of 20 year old Swarovski 8x and could see things better than than my hunting partners who were both using 2-3 year old Nikon Monarch 10x. Amazing what the quality difference is....and the price.

17-Aug-18
My monocular is the Vortex 8 power. The 10s made me dizzy and were harder to focus. I used 10 X 50 Bruntons for years and were easy to focus but too big to lug around. My eyes would also get bugged out after long periods while antelope hunting. The 8 X 40 Nikons are easier for me to use for longer periods and not too bulky for a harness.

21-Aug-18
I switched to Vortex bino's two years ago and love them. I dropped them on the concrete the past winter shooting indoor 3d, knocked something loose. I contacted the company, they replaced them for free. I also found out that Vortex has a military/LEO program, that once they verify your info, you are able to get a very nice discount on their products.

29-Aug-18
Just got Cabelas Vortex 10x28's for archery hunting.Traded in my old Cabelas 10x28's during the sale three weeks ago.

• Sitka Gear