Cheesehead Mike 12-Aug-18
upnorth 12-Aug-18
upnorth 12-Aug-18
RutnStrut 12-Aug-18
Cheesehead Mike 13-Aug-18
Glunker 13-Aug-18
Mac 17-Aug-18
09-Aug-18
So I shoot almost every day but don't really shoot often past 50 yards. I do shoot a few times a week at 75 yards. The last few weeks I have developed a wicked case of target panic, but only over 50 yards. I know it's mental, and I know some will say don't shoot over 50. Well now it's just pissing me off. Plus I have wrecked 4 very expensive arrows. I may build or buy a much larger target to see if that helps "trick"me at long range.

Does anyone else have this issue? What are some things you have done to help? I know about blank bailing, and different releases. I have absolutely no issue at 0 to 50 yards so I'm not starting over this late.

09-Aug-18
Used to get target panic. Created a pre-shot ritual I follow every time. Focused more on form and release versus everything else. I do find myself able to get on target much quicker because of my very methodical, very rehearsed focus. I had the issue with shooting deer from an elevated position the most.

09-Aug-18
If you are shooting at regular targets, use a larger one. Your problem may be that your pin covers your aiming point. This may help.

09-Aug-18
Come to full draw without an arrow nocked, and aim at your target but do not release. Hold aim for about five seconds, then let down. Repeat this process one more time, and you should be cured.

09-Aug-18
Agee with Price . I'll add this . Lay the bow down for several minutes between draws .

09-Aug-18
Me, I love to let arrows fly. The WTA trad shoot drove me nuts, with all the close targets,,, ha ha....... If I were you, I would just relax and let them fly. Once the arrow is gone, forget about it........... Do not shoot for a sold hit or score, just shoot for the pure fun of it,,,,,, use a lighted nock, and go.................

It will loosen you up,,,,,,,,,,,, I shoot 75 with the compound at our club range and I shoot 60 with the long bow....

RELAX,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

09-Aug-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Fieldpoint target
Fieldpoint target
I fight the same thing and it's because you're consciously or subconsciously focusing too much on the result rather than the shot execution and possibly the added stress of the fear of missing the target and wrecking/losing an arrow.

Forget about where the arrow is going and concentrate on making a clean shot. For me it works if I concentrate mainly on my release arm and finger.

It's part of the reason I built my big targets. I shoot out to 120 yards with these targets with confidence.

Personally, when I have used Price County's method I always have an arrow nocked. I would hate to accidently dry fire and ruin my bow. Also by having an arrow nocked you are further training your brain because you could shoot if you wanted to but instead you are proving to yourself that you can hold your pin on target and not shoot. That will allow your body/brain to settle down and accept it. Otherwise if you do it without an arrow, it might seem totally different psychologically when you have an arrow nocked and are going to shoot. Also, it might take more than one time to cure it. I've done it in the past probably 50 times in a row in order to retrain my brain.

The other thing I do is tell myself that I don't have to shoot as soon as my pin settles on the target. I like to hold it there for a couple seconds or more and then execute the shot. It's much more controlled and relaxed for me that way.

Good luck.

10-Aug-18
NEVER draw the bow with out a arrow nocked. Especially with a release aide. Increase the size of your target or bullseye at 70 yds. Go with a 10"or 12" circle on a large target butt, and narrow it down from there. Soon you will be making good clean shots.

10-Aug-18
If you do not have a problem at short range just long range you do need a bigger target.

10-Aug-18
The draw aim let down method has been my go to fix for T.P. Even with my recurve I need to do it. But as stated, have an arrow knocked. When I had T.P. bad years ago shooting compound, I would release without wanting to.

10-Aug-18
Thanks for all the help guys. I for sure wouldn't be drawing without an arrow nocked. I cringed at that as I sometimes get that shoot NOW reflex. Perhaps if I picked up a "no shoot" release. I am building a larger target for long range. I am also not going to put it in an enclosure like I have my others. I think the enclosure is part of the issue. Because when you miss you hit 2x4's or 4x4's and it's pretty hard on arrows. I think that's in the back of my mind. I am going to move one of my targets out in the open tonight and see if that makes a difference. Although I may now have the yips.

10-Aug-18
What kind of release are you using?

12-Aug-18
Yeah, long range target practice is unethical... Haha

12-Aug-18
Your probably trying to hard to be precise . If you can shoot good to 50 you should be able to practice farther . I have seen guys get out of there normal shot sequence end up holding to long and try to shoot as the bow moves past the target . Just don't shoot faster and faster that causes another set of problems . In other words just relax .

12-Aug-18
Not going to try to figure out what he means . Only question is why is he still here?

12-Aug-18
Well I better stop my long range practice. I would hate to put a bad shot on a target and injure it.

13-Aug-18
No, I was already here. See up above where I offered some photos and constructive suggestions. Waaaaaaay more than you have EVER done.

13-Aug-18
Target panic I am now guessing has different triggers. Not sure why long distance would be it, maybe miss wound animal from long range, probably lack of confidence at and after a certain distance. I am not sure it is target panic if it isn't the target but the distance. Sometimes understanding why can solve head issues, sorry I can't throw a solution up.

17-Aug-18
I went through a really bad case of target panic two years ago. It started out at longer range shots. I became a head case and soon I felt like I was pulling everything and slapping the trigger on my release. I totally had to start from scratch. When Gander Mountain was going out of business I picked up a Trueball Fang 3 thumb release. I watched a lot of Youtube videos and listened to a lot of podcast about the issue as well. I found that John Dudley and his tips with the thumb release worked best for me. I went to the county park by my house and did the blind shooting from 5 yards. That really helped me get use to the thumb style release, and create a surprise release. Once I was comfortable with that I started to walk myself back. It is/ was a long process. I am to the point now that I am consistently inside of a nipple cone at 50 Yards. Hope this helps.

• Sitka Gear