SC hunter 26-Aug-18
Crusader dad 28-Aug-18
Santee 09-Sep-18
Crusader dad 10-Sep-18
Santee 10-Sep-18
r-man 17-Sep-18
r-man 20-Sep-18
09-Aug-18
My wife and I are going to be purchasing a house near the Francis Marion natl forest. Anyone have any experience in this area?

We are not locked in to this part of SC but my wife requires us to be near the ocean. Any info is appreciated.

26-Aug-18
How “near the ocean” do you need to be?

28-Aug-18
We are going to be looking at houses on lake Moultrie and Marion. My preference is lake Moultrie.

09-Sep-18
Hey, Crusader. I see no replies. I live very close to Lake Moultrie (lower lake) but have hunted near both lakes in my lifetime here. The lower (Moultrie) area has more public land hunting and that being the famed Francis Marion National Forest. It has or at least had some good bow hunting to someone willing to spend time learning it. I left it (public land) some years ago to hunt private land. Keep in mind, we have a lot more bugs and snakes than you might see where you are from. I would opt for the Lake Moultrie area if hunting is one of your driving factors. And you would be closer to the coast and Charleston if your wife likes shopping! If I can be of any help, please let me know. I'll check this post in a few days or you can PM me if you chose. Good luck with your decision. BB

10-Sep-18
Thanks for the reply. I don't mind the bugs and I could get used to the snakes. I would definitely be starting in the F M NTL forest. What really interests me is the possibility of hunting right on the coast. I think that would be pretty cool.

My oldest son will be moving to Charleston to finish his masters and start his adult life. We want to be near him but not in the city. We won't actually be moving for three more years but we are heading down this fall to check out the area and do a little house hunting. If we decide we like it, we want to buy asap but want to be right on the water so it will take some time to find the right house. I want to be able to walk out the back door and fish from my own dock.

How is the fishing on Moultrie? Can I actually take my boat from Moultrie down the river to the coast?

10-Sep-18
Fishing not too bad on the two lakes. Lake Moultrie has a lock that transports (for lack of what to call it) or drops your boat through lowering the water in the lock to the "Tailrace Canal". The lock is operated by Santee Cooper, the local electric power company. You can actually transverse the Tailrace Canal to the Cooper River which empties into the Charleston Harbor. There are two GMA units right near the lower Santee River delta. Also, Bulls Island has archery hunts. You may want to review what happens during the pending Hurricane Florence coming ashore this week. That will show you what we go through during Hurricane Season!

17-Sep-18
Its fair around here , and have some bow only hunting areas here too. I am on south side of Lake Moultrie. And only a 45 minute ride to the beach

20-Sep-18
never mind state is selling them ( WMA )

• Sitka Gear