ground hunter 11-Aug-18
BW 11-Aug-18
Two Feathers 11-Aug-18
BW 11-Aug-18
Nocturnal 11-Aug-18
BW 13-Aug-18
Firsty 14-Aug-18
10-Aug-18
Hey guys, I, like everyone else, am always busy with so many things. I usually log in to this site religiously around bow season, and then forget about it for the rest of the year. So if any of these topics have come up, forgive me. I didn't search for them either.

I follow "The Hunting Public" on youtube. If you haven't heard or checked them out, you're REALLY missing out. I'm looking at starting public land hunting and trying to be more mobile with stands on my private land. I use a tree-lounge right now but am looking at doing hang and hunts with sticks. I was looking at the Muddy Boss Elite AL. Looking for a comfortable hang-on stand that I can do all day sits on. Any suggestions? Also don't want to spend a fortune. I want 2 of them because I'm going to try and get the wife to come out with me this year and hopefully get her interested. Thanks!

10-Aug-18
Also, if you do follow THP and have seen some episodes with Ted Miller, is anyone else besides me going to be setting up some horizontal rubs this year? I'm excited to try them out.

10-Aug-18
BW - horizontal rubs,....intriguing! In my years of bowhunting I have never come across a true horizontal rub. I've seen plenty on leaning trees and a few on bent over trees somewhat approaching horizontal, but never one absolutely horizontal. Maybe I'll try it too, make a true horizontal rub in a known buck area and see what happens. Anyone here have any experience with horizontal rubs? Anyone ever make one? Let's hear about your experiences.

10-Aug-18
Good posts we should have some fun with this one, and finally we are getting back on track about hunting....................................

Tricks - I have a lot of them, some good, some never worked, but it is trying them that is the fun. The horizontal rub is an old trick. works best with a pitch tree, that is, something that runs some sap. They love to rub on that, and you might not have a pine tree of something similar, for a 100 miles.......but they will rub it, that is for sure, and a good place than to place a mock scrape..........................

You asked about run and gun. I hunt a lot of public. I only have 74 acres of private in the SW, and a smaller amount up north. 74 acres is not spit, maybe set up in 5 spots at most. I do not like permanent stands, my partner does, he has ladder stands, which I hate for many reasons, but we are all different. So I hunt a lot of public, and we could have a whole thread, on how to choose public land......

I have a system, and its for Ground Hunting - Hang On System and a Climber System. I will cover all 3...............

I have a Millenium M7 for my hang on, and XOP sticks. Reason is this. The M7 comes in for me at 7lbs, and using XOP pack straps, you have no idea its on your back. I like the XOP sticks, because they connect together, which means less noise. I also like the step, which can be moved to either side, like the Lone Wolf stick. I like the length of the step, and grip. I do not like sticks with 2 sided steps, and any stick with permanent step position, I do not like................................................ I am at my last go around, so I bought new stuff. I sold my old Lone Wolf Stands, and sticks, but that is also an excellent product. I am also a big fan of XOP Vanish hang on. The M7 does have a drop in hang system, but with practice, it can be put up very quietly, and is worth the price, of the complete stand weight.........

Cimber - I can not believe I waited till I was 62 to try a climber, I love them for a lot of reasons, and they are just plain safe. Trick to them, is using stabilizer straps, which you can get, from a company called "3rd Hand". google them up, to watch how they are used. I bought a Summit Viper SD, which I would not buy again. good sold stand, but too heavy. Now to transport it, I just purchased a Tree Stand Transport System from XOP, which is a molle system they put together for any stand,,,, you can also google that up to look at. I like the Lone Wolf and the XOP's, they fold flatter, for better transport. I heard complaints on the LW, on how hard a hand climber was to use. A lot of users, just do not use it the right way. I was shown, tried it, and found it to be easy, and unlike a sit and climb, they are more compact, and lighter weight.

A friend is trying out this weekend the Xstand climber, which is only 12lbs and is aluminum, but I have no experience with it...........

Ground Hunting - I think I have tried every system in the book, every chair etc, and never found exactly what I need or like. Most that have the right features, and are quality made and quiet, are 8lbs or better. Now I am not talking about sitting in some hub blind, heck any chair will work there. I am talking about a chair system to use for being on the move.............................. many times I just kneel on an old pad, but at my age, I like a seat. I am looking into the Millenium Tree Seat. I see it has one carry strap, and know right away, that does not work, would have to employ back pack straps, but that is easy to do. what I like about it, is it weighs 4lbs.

Ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain........................

I do not like screw in steps, or hang on steps of any kind or make. I also am a noise freak. Go to Stealth Outdoors.com. I buy their stealth strips, they are on all of my stands to deaden any noise......................

I use a vest for a transport system of incidentals, like light, gutting gloves etc. I do not like packs, more bulk than you need. I am not going on a camping trip, I am going deer hunting, so I carry as little as needed..............

After the kill, that could be a whole other thread, on what guys do, but you asked for run and gun style set ups. You should get a lot of good info here, lots of different systems.................

You need a system, and than refine it, for your style and comfort. Hoped I helped a little,,,, good luck

10-Aug-18
Your not going to get comfort for all day sits with a portable that has a 20" seat height like the above mentioned Millenium, unless your 4' 6" tall. Screaming Eagle. Nothing stronger, safer or more solid exists. 25" seat height.

10-Aug-18
Well we agree to disagree. I have 2 screaming eagles, but they are heavy, heavy, no way could I stay on the move with one of them,,,,, mine are always put up and left on spot. I thought we were talking being mobile

I am 511 and weigh 200lbs. I can sit in that m7 for a long time, but again we are all different

I do agree, they are very comfortable, have been using them for 30 years

10-Aug-18
14 pounds. Put it on a molle frame and its a breeze. Your mileage may vary...

10-Aug-18
I hunt on the ground only and this year I'm going to try a ghillie suit (not sure I spelled that right haha) after it cools off a bit in october

10-Aug-18
I have a Viper in aluminum. Never used it yet as I have not had to hunt much public. Will probably have to try it this season. I am guessing it will be better than my old climbing Baker. lol I could tell a lot of stories on those.

11-Aug-18
Here's The Hunting Public youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzlnaIrdxwJITyrESOReqxg

Here's The Hunting Public Q&A with Ted Miller on horizontal rubs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Xg2VERSSE

They also do a couple hunts over them, but I'll let you look through all their videos...you won't be disappointed.

Chief - I'm going to get a ghillie suit too. After watching THP they even said that deer can't pick you out wearing a ghillie suit. I do love hunting on the ground, it really brings an extra bit of excitement, even when you get smaller bucks it makes it more fun.

I'm going to do 2-3 horizontal rubs. I only hunt probably 20 acres of woods (at most) that are broken up, and then lots of acres of fields. Ted Miller recommends using scotch pine because it takes the longest to dry out compared to others, so I'm going to try to find some. White Pine works, but dries out in about a month it sounds like, where as the scotch pine lasts about a month and a half. He said to place them out there at the very beginning of October.

Well I think I'm going to try that Muddy stand and sticks that I have picked out. The seat looks more comfortable than most hang-ons and the sticks are built so you can attach 4 to the stand without any noise or vibration. I might look at getting a Millennium for another one, just to try out after your recommendations. Thanks for the help, and please do yourself a favor and watch all of the THP videos. They just branched off of Midwest Whitetail last year so you'll have time to watch everything before their new hunting episodes start in less than a month. They have great information on there and I guarantee you they will have good advice for you. Let me know what you guys think! I talked to them at DeerFest and they were incredibly nice and helpful.

11-Aug-18
The worst thing to happen to public land hunting is social media,,,,, with that said, even with this show, and such on You Tube, it will probably not affect my hunting much. Most want to sit in a ladder stand or hub blind, on a private 40 on a plot etc. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is....

Hunting Public well, is hard core, it takes a lot of effort and you have to think outside of the box,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Most guys hunt the largest chunks they can find, when in reality, a lot of very small pieces, in ridiculous looking areas, pay off.............

Its not how you hunt, but where you hunt. I found 7 acres of public, on a stream, that feeds into two private properties, in the SW. that to me could be a real honey hole...

anyway good luck with your new system, and this fall

11-Aug-18
Thanks! I'm planning on getting Onx maps to check out the area around where we're moving to. Moving out to a lot of farming area, so will definitely be knocking on several doors too in hopes of finding a place closer to home to hunt and hopefully make a long relationship of hunting there. As for your smaller areas and tougher access, it does seem like those can be the best based on what I've heard.

11-Aug-18
I have more free time this year and plan to fill it with hunting marshes, something I don't have a lot of experience with.

11-Aug-18
That'll be fun and interesting!!

11-Aug-18
X2 ground hunter on your last post..

13-Aug-18
?

14-Aug-18
Ground hunter I also have the m7 along with 4 lone wolf sticks. How do you carry yours? I heard some guys strap it to a backpack like an eberlestoxk x2. I've just been using the crappy stock straps it came with.

• Sitka Gear