1boonr 19-Aug-18
retro 20-Aug-18
MN_Bow_Hunter_1980 21-Aug-18
ground hunter 25-Aug-18
Per48R 25-Aug-18
Per48R 25-Aug-18
ground hunter 25-Aug-18
10-Aug-18
What's your opinion on the best stand for the money? What stand offers the "biggest bang" for the buck?

10-Aug-18
Ill say it again. Screaming Eagle.

10-Aug-18
I agree Screaming Eagle are great stands. Mine have all been quieted down a bit, and they are great stands, but not for one to put on back and get on the move, at least not for me.....

I do not think there is a one stand, that is best, because you get your stands, based on comfort level, and some like me, need mobility, others, just hang them and leave them for the season, which is what I do with my Eagles, and mine are 30 years old......

If I had to choose one hang on, for being comfortable, easy to hang, safe, and well thought out design, and quiet it would be the XOP Vanish..............................

I guy who hunts a lot, needs a few stands, to fit different needs...... right now in my garage, you would see a "few" stands........ I already have 2 Eagles out, from post season scouting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

10-Aug-18
Do you have a rating scale?

Such as weight, mobility, comfort, stealth all of individual weighted scores???

10-Aug-18
regardless, do not hunt with junk, that is an accident waiting to happen, no matter which way you go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

10-Aug-18
Consider the Millennium treestand line. The seats on them are very comfortable, and they are easy to hang. The M150 & M100U are awesome. The ladders are pricy but you get a quality stand. Millennium has a chain receiver-lock system where a single stand can be hung up at multiple locations where ever a receiver is installed. Don't let the squirrels chew through your nylon straps. And the receivers are not so noticeable in the woods vs the full stand. Plus, less rusting of the stand as it is not out in the weather, nor icing up prior to your arrival for a sit. I find that I sit longer in these stands.

Note I do not sell these stands, nor own an archery business. Just a recommendation. Choose wisely, and always use a climbing safety device. I started to use those the last two years, and really like them. Be safe, hunt hard.

https://millenniumstands.com/

https://millenniumstands.com/product/m102-receiver-mount/

10-Aug-18
Yes, the cheap ones are generally noisy especially in the late season. I like my Lone Wolf's for quiet & for some reason I can sit long in them even though they don't look comfortable to me. I do have a Millennium also & it took me a couple sits to get used to the tilt angle of the seat but now I love it.

11-Aug-18
I like sitting in the Milleniums seats they are very comfy we have 2 20' ladders and 2 hang on's. But the large flip-up seat on the ladders its really awkward getting in and out because the seat is pushing you off the platform as you set it down. I feel you need a lifeline on these ladders which we generally don't do w/ adults.

11-Aug-18
All day sits with the Millenium, great stand.

11-Aug-18
Love lone wolf myself but not cheap. I have the same issues with cheap stands but have lots of stands so can’t afford to buy all lone wolf stands. So I have found filling the stands with spray foam has helped with noise. We now fill our connected steps also to reduce noise. Don’t have a lot of ladder stands but we fill them also. It helps.

12-Aug-18
I have a couple of hawk stands that are solid also. I like the millennium seats better though.

12-Aug-18
Depend entirely on what you’re looking for, Pat. Climber or “permanent” type?

13-Aug-18
Just curious, is it legal to leave the millennium mounting units on the tree without the stand attached on public land in the southern part of the state where leaving a stand up overnight is not allowed? Or would the mounting bracket be considered the same thing as “the stand”? I have a millennium and find it light for packing in and very comfortable to sit in for many hours. Cheaper than the lone wolf hang one too.

13-Aug-18
As I age gracefully Duke, I like ladder stands more and more. I know there're not practical on public lands but on private - easy up and down - quiet.

A stand I forgot about was the ole' Screamin' Eagle!

I still have a homemade one and yes, I agree, outstanding stand! I remember a guy named "Paul" (?) back in the day, short heavy set, wore his hat off to the side advertising those stands out west!

13-Aug-18

13-Aug-18
Oforalt - Yes, I would say anything you "leave" in the woods would "technically" be illegal, other than a game camera with your Customer ID/name attached. Now, practically - I highly doubt anyone would give a rats butt.

Last count 18 of 72 counties in this State allow stands to be left overnight on County Forest lands. State is behind the times I believe. Just my opinion, don't start a letter writing campaign (LOL).

My home county has had it in effect for 3 years now. Our Assistant Administrator for our County Forest tells me that they have had no real problems at all. He was all for the proposal and it is working out pretty nicely.

14-Aug-18
I hunt a small piece that is public stewardship. The dnr helped pay for it and part of the deal was they had to keep it open to public hunting and trapping but its managed by a group that isnt the most hunter friendly. One of their favorite things is to pull peoples stands.

14-Aug-18
Bloodtrail, Paul Brunner was the fellow who developed the stand. Do you remember his mail order catalog? Quality stuff. Those were the days, back before the circus came to town.....

14-Aug-18
Retro-could not agree more. Brunner got some sort of infection that changed his thinking and he came up with the design (his story). I have copied that stand many times (for my own use) with some small deviations. Also the squirrels have never attempted to chew on the US made steel chain that attaches the thing to the tree (as far as I know).

14-Aug-18
Lame, The stand design was pure genius. Remember the picture of the car hanging from the stand? Good memories from a great time to be a hunter. Seems like forever ago ....

15-Aug-18
retro - Bingo!

Yes, I remember him and I thought he had a brother. Long bow guys that shot instinctive if I remember. Hat tucked off to the side - always. Good people from what I remember!

I think it was a VW bug hanging from the stand as well!

Heavy stand but once in place ya could hold a barn dance on it and it's not going anywhere!

15-Aug-18
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that the sideways hat was sported by Barry Wensel. I spent a couple of hours with the Wensel boys at the P&Y meeting at Rochester. Those guys are a hoot....

15-Aug-18
Bloodtrail, It was a volkswagon. lol! As Lame Crowndip said, the sideways hat was most certainly Barry. Screaming Eagle was based out of Ovando if I remember right and of course the Wensels lived for many years in Montana. They helped to promote the stand for Brunner. If memory serves me Paul Brunner sold the business to a fellow who moved it to Pennsylvania??? Didnt seem to last long and it was gone. To bad..... Couple other things I remember from the catalog were "Woolie Boogers" (hand muffs for extreme cold) and the "Swannie" which was a longer wool coat. Also there was a product called "Pit Stop" ?? which was a deodorant that Paul touted as extremely long lasting. I remember them selling bows that carried Paul Schafers name as well.... The good old days......

16-Aug-18
I still have my wool backpack that I bought from Paul in the late eighties or early nineties. Has lasted a lot longer than most of the stuff I have bought. Wasn't the "pit stop" thing some sort of a crystal??

16-Aug-18
I cant remember. Could be. Somewhere I have an old catalog. Going to have to dig it up one of these days just for old times sake....

17-Aug-18
I enjoyed the catalogs-no junk in there, just solid dependable hunting stuff. That was back when guys didn't play with the phone all day.

17-Aug-18

longbowbud's Link
Still available, Ill stick with my LoneWolfs though

17-Aug-18
Lavalin is the name of the product. Its in longbowbuds link. Not sure why I thought it was called "pitstop". Guess that's what happens with all the years that have gone by....

19-Aug-18
Retro- it was called pit stop and it was a crime type deodorant that you rubbed on before bed than lithely washed off the next morn. You could then go for two or three weeks without deodorant. It was pavilion but marketed as pitstop. You can still buy the screaming eagles. I love the stand and the squirrelslove the seats

20-Aug-18
Then I wasnt dreaming...lol

21-Aug-18
MN Archery hunter here but frequent the WI forum simply because there is more chatter. I too own a few stands for different applications. I use a Millennium for all day sits but also would submit that mine is a bit heavy for hauling the 1/2 mile i walk back into the public land i hunt. I hunt in Burnett County as well so i guess i sort of belong in this forum. Just my experience to share.

25-Aug-18
I believe you need several options in your hunting system. I love to ground hunt, and also have permission on property, where no tree stands are allowed by the land owner. Yesterday, I chose to buy, the Millenium 300 tree seat.....

On my hang scale, it came in at 3.8 lbs. It has a shoulder cross over carry strap, which I got rid of right away. I put on it, regular shoulder straps, that came with my Millenium M7 last year, that were too light, for that 8 lb stand........

Now its on my back, you have no idea its there, and your hands free, Tested it out this am, on several trees, all I can says is "wow", easy to sit in, should be deadly. again you have no weight, just need some type of tree, etc. I even was able to attach it to a blow down, so it will work for me.......

If your looking for something like this, check it out. It costs 69.00 from a local archery shop, because I always buy local when I can.......... It is absolutely noise less and comfortable

25-Aug-18
For $0, backing into a bush that is located in the right spot to keep deer from walking behind you. That has put me less then 5 yards from deer in areas where there are no decent stand trees. That is probably why the deer were there in the first place.

25-Aug-18
For $0, backing into a bush that is located in the right spot to keep deer from walking behind you. That has put me less then 5 yards from deer in areas where there are no decent stand trees. That is probably why the deer were there in the first place.

If you want to buy something a hammock chair is cheap and hooks an any tree over 8" thick, even dead ones.

25-Aug-18
48 I agree, but with my age, medical condition and long hours I hunt, this is a good ticket for me.......... I have seen the hammock chair on u tube, seems like another option

• Sitka Gear