Carnivore 14-Aug-18
Orion 14-Aug-18
Carnivore 14-Aug-18
Ucsdryder 14-Aug-18
DMC65 27-Aug-18
soccern23ny 27-Aug-18
yooper89 28-Aug-18
13-Aug-18
I know this should be an easily answered question with a quick google search but I can’t find anything...

What parts of a bear are required to be removed from the field? Head? Hide? Meat?? Do they treat them more like an elk or a coyote?

13-Aug-18
Same as a deer or elk for the meat. And yes the head hide which gets inspected and sealed by CPW

13-Aug-18
Thanks Orion. Wouldn’t mind helping out the elk population but 3-5 miles for a bunch of bear meat sounds like a terrible idea...

13-Aug-18
The bear meat is good meat gust remove all the fat you can and get it cold as fast as you can it is some good stuff

13-Aug-18
Bear meat is excellent in flavor. lota grissel and fat but the taste may be the best of all wild game

13-Aug-18
The bear I got last year is great. I make chili with the ground and roast with the rest.

Bears that have been eating the right things are plain excellent and I have no problems going after another one. I wouldn't leave any of the meat in the field. If you look up bear fat, you will see that if they are eating berries people will render the fat down and use it for cooking everything else.

13-Aug-18
My wife's favorite game meat is bear roast in the crockpot.

14-Aug-18
Yep, they are going to need to pull a tooth as well as seal the hide. You also need to bring the meat with you to the CPW inspection to prove you didn't waste it. If you don't want to pay for taxidermy on the hide, you can donate it to the CPW. They'll auction it off at their annual fundraiser.

14-Aug-18
you do not need to take the meat with you. I've checked in close to a dozen bears and never had the meat and it was never an issue. Same with sheep and goats as well

14-Aug-18
Every time I have checked a bear they wanted to see the meat. So I guess it depends on which office you go to for the inspection. But to Orion's point, that requirement does seem to be missing from this year's Big Game brochure. Oh, they will also ask where you got it, so take GPS readings at the kill site.

14-Aug-18
Thanks for all the info. Got a big one hitting the same trail by a wallow at the same time every day. It’s like he’s on the clock. He’s a butterball for sure.

27-Aug-18
Just be sure to cook that bear meat thoroughly. No medium rare like venison or beef. You could end up with a nasty parasite making life miserable. Y'all probably already know that but maybe someone else reading this thread doesn't. Just thought I would mention it. Hope you have a big old boar get in range!!

27-Aug-18
Why does bear taste bad when they mainly eat plants and insects?

28-Aug-18
Since when does bear taste bad?

28-Aug-18
How long does the inspection take?

• Sitka Gear