casekiska 13-Aug-18
Naturelives 14-Aug-18
smokey 14-Aug-18
Pete-pec 14-Aug-18
casekiska 14-Aug-18
Pasquinell 14-Aug-18
retro 14-Aug-18
13-Aug-18
Anyone else find any yet? I put two stands up Saturday, and found three of the largest scrapes with licking branches (or preorbital branches) above all them.

This is near the bedroom (I believe) of a deer that I had an encounter with after hours on two different occasions. He might be 7 years old if I am correct, and is that kind of deer that makes you lose sleep.

I talked with the landowner as I was loading my cart into the trailer, and he asked me one favor. Of course I'm here for him. He asked me to shoot that big boy. Apparently he kicked him out of the winter wheat field when they cut it. Broad daylight. I asked how big? Biggest deer he's ever seen on his farm. That's why I know he saw the same deer. I won't even talk estimated score. He's something we all would dream of. I mowed one last time that same day, and I feel lucky. East or south wind on the right day, and who knows? His footprint alone is phenomenal. A true legend!

Either way, is this early for a velvet deer to make scrapes already? Can I assume territorial markers?

13-Aug-18
Not this year, but in other years I too have found scrapes in August. My buddies said "bullsh!t." No matter. It got me fired up!

Yes Pete, I am thinking territorial scrapes. Seems a bit early for the bucks to be feeling randy.

Good luck on that big boy. Hope you drop him.

13-Aug-18
Thanks Bill.

I mowed my trails and cut a few shooting lanes, and bought the gear to build 2 ground blinds that I'm setting on the edge of some CRP. I'm focused on making a big move very early, and then I'm leaving it alone. I love to hunt, and maybe I love to hunt too much? I've got to hunt this spot sparingly, and smart.

13-Aug-18
Not suprising. Deer use licking branches year round.

13-Aug-18
Sounds exciting. Hope you bring this full circle.

13-Aug-18
Thanks Tweed!

13-Aug-18
Pete...you said, "I've got to hunt this spot sparingly, and smart." I know what that means. And so does the next guy, and his brother. We all know, each in our own way. But, let me ask this...since you know the area, the layout of the land, how the deer in that area move, and to some extent how that deer moves,...what does that statement mean to you? How are you going to hunt it sparingly and smart? (Don't mean to put you on the spot, but I know you know your way around the deer woods and have the ability to articulate a action plan...so lets hear it! How are you going to hunt this "sparingly and smart?")

Thanks Pete.

14-Aug-18
They use licking branches year round and it isn't uncommon to see them work the ground out of season to. I found a fresh scrape in April this year and just found one hit about 2 weeks ago

14-Aug-18
I agree with the others here, licking branches most of the year and I too find scrapes early. Usually, I don't put much into them though. I have found mock scrapes others have made but since you are on private land it is unlikely to be a mock. Definitely hunt smart since the scrape at the least shows that he is in the area for the early season.

14-Aug-18
Bill, sparingly means this to me:

I believe every single time we enter their domain, we educate them to some level. I'm not saying they use their brains or memory, as much as they use their ingrained senses that define their lives. I am clean, but we all know you can only be so clean, and every time you walk in, set your rear end in your stand, climb up that ladder, etc., you leave some of you behind. I'm hunting on the edge of his bedroom. That means that I need a good wind. One that doesn't swirl, or slow down enough to blow my stink into his comfort zone. So, I think a steady south or east wind is best in this situation. That alone allows me far less opportunity to hunt, due to our westerly prevailing wind. I'm in a unique spot. CRP, that buts up to his wooded sanctuary. I mowed a path that the deer love to use, that also allows me easier access. I feel like by hunting the spot too much too early will only push this already nocturnal animal into an unhuntable deer. That means early season and the rut will give me my best opportunity. Leaving a good area alone in between those two timeframes will be difficult. I have plenty of land to hunt, and have some blinds up in treeless areas that I will likely hunt more, just to keep my temptation to hunt the other spot, at bay.

Of course I want to put up a trail camera or two, but I gave them up several years back, because I think they can do more harm than good, based on that same encroachment philosophy. My rut vacation starts October 29th. I have off the next 21 days, and often wish I could resist hunting any days before that, to hunt rut crazed deer that have never been alerted to my presence. I simply love to hunt too much, and need to hunt a wider range of this farm.

14-Aug-18
Right on Pete. I suspect more than one bowhunter learned something about how "sparingly" and " smart" apply to bowhunting. IMO your comments did not disappoint. Well done.

14-Aug-18
Finally! A refreshingly written thread on hunting. Nicely done.

14-Aug-18
I agree completely on the camera thing. You put a camera in there and he'll be on to you immediately. A 7 year old buck is the rarest of animals. Your fortunate to even cross paths with an animal of that age. Get a cold front with some rain the last week in October, make your move.....

• Sitka Gear