Tonybear61 17-Aug-18
eidsvolling 17-Aug-18
Tonybear61 19-Aug-18
Henry 19-Aug-18
eidsvolling 20-Aug-18
South Farm 27-Aug-18
13-Aug-18

eidsvolling 's Link
I'm trying to determine where and when roving aka stump shooting is legal in MN. There's a case from the Minnesota Supreme Court that upheld a conviction for illegally hunting based solely on the inclusion of "pursuing" in the statute that has me a bit concerned. The case is State v. Schmid and can be found at https://cases.justia.com/minnesota/supreme-court/2015-a13-337.pdf?ts=1424889163. Admittedly it's an ideal case to prosecute, as you'll see from the facts.

I'd rather not have to assert that I'm "pursuing" some unprotected species outside the regular hunting seasons when in reality I'm "pursuing" rotten stumps and leaves. Anybody have any specific experience discussing this with a CO or someone higher at the DNR? I'm utterly uninterested in opinions here, please, I just want the facts of any responses.

17-Aug-18
Good topic! I just sent the DNR a question asking about this.

17-Aug-18
I asked this once the COs response was its likely considered promiscuous shooting as its not at an established range. If you are doing it during some open seasons (e.g. small game) could certainly claim you just miss a lot (yes you would have to wear the required orange similar for firearm small game). That said, I do keep a judo head with me for practice in the field. I would be willing to argue its very, very important for me as a turkey, deer or bear archery hunter to be able to test my equipment for accuracy periodically during the hunt. I also bring a foam, butt target with to shoot a few arrows in the field. See folks do that a lot at places like Camp Ripley. Maybe its not illegal as the CO told me all those years ago, or not enforced.. Perhaps someday when challenged in the field it will become a test case for the courts. Would be willing to see fellow bowhunter's responses...and what the MN DNR says. Thank You

17-Aug-18

eidsvolling 's Link
Part of my defense if I’m charged will be the introduction of this article into evidence. :-)

“The Swinteks practice shooting an hour a day because they enjoy it and because achieving high proficiency with a traditional bow demands years of dedicated training. Like many traditional bowhunters, they enjoy stump shooting—roving through the forest and shooting tree stumps. Stump shooting enables bowhunters to gain valuable shooting experience in diverse, real-life terrain and develop the skill of instinctive aiming.“

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/issues/2016/sep-oct/traditional-archery.html

19-Aug-18
Forgot all about this article, yes very good evidence. If its in the DNR volunteer without a CO objection, how could that roving, stump shooting be illegal or promiscuous shooting??

19-Aug-18
Here is the answer I received from the DNR: "It is legal to target practice in all the Minnesota State Forests except for Sand Dunes, but you should use a removable target rather than trees or stumps, since it is illegal to do anything that would harm the resources. I realize a stump isn’t probably a very high-value resource, but they are home to bugs and mushrooms and whatnot, and I’d hate to see you get a citation for something like that. You can read the rules for State Forests on pages 113-115 of the current hunting regs. "

20-Aug-18
Thanks for obtaining that response! Gonna print it and carry it. :-)

27-Aug-18
"Home to bugs and mushrooms"

And JUDO POINTS!!!

Good God these people are retarded!!!!!!!!!

• Sitka Gear