Grasshopper 15-Aug-18
kadbow 15-Aug-18
Treeline 15-Aug-18
WB 15-Aug-18
Treeline 16-Aug-18
Jaquomo 16-Aug-18
13-Aug-18

Grasshopper's Link
We concluded our latest CBA member survey, see the link for the results.

A big thanks to our members for the great response, almost everyone took the time to answer all the questions. In 7 days we had 497 respond. To see over 92% in agreement really blows my mind. It gives the board great direction on how to represent the membership.

We will share the survey results with our members, CPW staff, and the Parks and Wildlife commission.

The question regarding how you would change the draw for elk & deer doesn't list the options, but if you hover your mouse over the bar, it will give you an idea. Not sure why it appears that way, my apologies. In retrospect maybe we offered to many choices on OTC crowding question and a lesson learned for the next one, but still great input from you.

As you read the survey results, one thing that might jump out at you is the residency and agreement with the initial board position track closely. Our membership is about 10% non resident. What may surprise you is out of the 30 nonresident responses, 28 agreed that paying upfront is a preference so it aligns with everyone else.

Thanks again for your membership, and participation. Let us know how we can be of service!

13-Aug-18
Thanks for posting the results. Not too much that's surprising which I guess is a good thing. I like how the CBA is getting these surveys out to the members to voice their opinions. Thanks for all the hard work CBA.

The comments are the best. Lot's of misinformed people making unrelated comments.

I like the person complaining about paying a $0.25 search and rescue fee on every license. Like this is an issue?

I guess that person will complain only until they themselves need to be extracted from the wilderness with a broken leg or something similar. I'm glad everyone pays the $0.25 per license and there's some group that may be able to save my life if needed someday.

13-Aug-18
Thanks Steve. I saw some comments mentioned that the answers were 'leading' - I didnt think that was so.

13-Aug-18
Yea, I am sure you get a couple of those with every survey. Our members are leaders, and to sharp to be led.

The one thing we did do upfront was disclose our initial position. That was timing related. I had this thing pretty close to release in early July, but the board wanted to vet it at our next meeting on August 3rd. I wanted results prior to the commission meeting last week. So we did develop a position, and include it in the survey challenging the membership to vote as they wish. The survey also had the capability to edit your response. Google forms is pretty cool.

Lastly, any change back to pay upfront is a long shot. CPW views the increase as positive, just look at the slides from the July meeting of the PWC at the link. I stated our concerns, and represented as best I could. 170,000 new apps this year, what it will be next year is anyones guess. I am going to guess another 100,000.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/2018/July/Item_16-PowerPoint-IPAWS_Draw_Update-July2018-PWCMtg.pdf

14-Aug-18
Great job, Steve. Many of the comments were predictable, while some are downright clueless. Presume many asking for spring bear and baiting have no knowledge of the reasons why that went away and will never come back in this blue state.

14-Aug-18
Thanks for all the hard work, Steve and others in the CBA to get these kinds of surveys out to the membership. Please keep pushing for improvements to bow hunting in Colorado.

14-Aug-18
Thanks Steve and the CBA. I was with you at the Sportsmen's Round Table and the recent Commission meeting where you and others were part of the PP and PP Creep panel. Good work. my best, Paul

14-Aug-18
Yes, thanks. It might be nice to run a similar survey for non-CBA forum members - & bump the response numbers up. If I understand the search and rescue fee correctly, it is no longer actual insurance. Is it true that individuals may be billed for some, most, or all of the expenses of a rescue?

14-Aug-18
I dont believe it covers helicopter airlift, which now runs about $32K and many insurance companies don't cover it either. I buy that insurance from AirLink and its pretty cheap.

14-Aug-18
Great survey here Steve. Any way to see the original questionnaire in order to see the full list of options?

I find the sheep, goat and moose draw response interesting with going back to the old process, I just cant seem to figure out what the remainder of that answer was.

14-Aug-18
I had to turn it back on to get people a link to view the questions, but I am not counting any additional responses. It is time to get ready for the season.

https://goo.gl/forms/93uYyu5DWBthPXnC2

15-Aug-18
I wished I would have looked at it closer. I am of the mind set that the new system is better than the old. I wonder if a large group of people like me simply ignored the questions. It is my own fault, but I love the new system significantly better than the old...

Hell if I had my way there would not be a barrier other than resident NR split for anyone to apply. Get away from preference points, get away from weighted points etc. Ever year everyone starts with and has equal chance to draw...

15-Aug-18
The 25 cent fee is actually to compensate County sheriffs and search and rescue outfits for their cost to rescue you. It was becoming an extreme financial burden on county's budgets so the fee was born.

Check with your insurance carrier for ambulance coverage.

I had a $37,000 dollar chopper ride from south west of Blue Mesa to Denver. Cost me $500 and insurance covered the rest.

15-Aug-18
So, what is the $10.00 Habitat Stamp doing for hunters and fishermen in Colorado?

15-Aug-18
The habitat stamp money goes to buy mostly conservation easements, and occasionally access using an RFP process. They prevent development of oil, gas, mineral extraction and subdivision.

Guys love spending 1500 an acre, when we could lease access for 10.

15-Aug-18
Wildlife conservation easements or recreational easements? Or does the rec easement come with most of the wildlife conservation easements? What is an RFP process? Where does the rest of the money come from for preventing development?

15-Aug-18
http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/LandWaterCWHP.aspx

http://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/HabitatProtected.aspx

15-Aug-18
Conservation easements that we pay for but we don’t get to hunt on it unless we pay a trespass fee or buy a land owner tag. I am guessing we probably pay for game damage too. Lots of money has been spent on conservation easements.

15-Aug-18
Kinda sux that we are all required to pay up for something that doesn’t help out on access. Kinda like taxation without representation...

15-Aug-18
We (hunters/fisherman) are required to pay for something that everyone who doesn't buy a licence can enjoy. CPW rights that wrong with a Hug-a-hunter or Hug-a-fisherman commercial. Pure, grad A BS

16-Aug-18
Interesting how much stuff is on their website that has nothing to do with where their revenue comes from. Just looking at the sheer number of other activities that they are advertising, you would think that hunting and fishing was a low priority for CPW.

16-Aug-18
Tavis, i believe hunting and fishing ARE low priorities for many in the CPW. A retired Regional Director told me 15 years ago that it was rapidly heading that direction and getting worse with the changes in curriculum and focus in college programs. He said then that many new hires were borderline anti, but hold their noses and accept hunting and fishing as revenue generators to fund their "nonconsumptive" programs.

• Sitka Gear