mike315 14-Aug-18
splitlimb13 14-Aug-18
mrelite 14-Aug-18
mike315 14-Aug-18
splitlimb13 14-Aug-18
ohiohunter 23-Sep-18
mike315 24-Sep-18
14-Aug-18
Well I haven't been able to do much scouting this summer, but am fortunate to have the next three weekends off to get ready for my archery hunt in September in 16C. On my way up to the unit this weekend, I noticed that the rancher in unit 21b that purchased the old Garrett outfit just outside of Winston has been doing a lot of remodeling, especially with fence. I haven't been up that way since end of may and in the last 2 months the ranch hands have put 5 string fence (taught, and high) all the way down the freeway up to the turn off toward Beaver head hwy 52 or 59 forget which one as I get those two mixed up. Any ways, that drive in the past I have always looked forward to because we would usually see a bunch of elk and antelope, and is nice for my kids to see as they are 2 and 4 yrs of age and don't really hike the back country for me to show them other animals. That being said, this past time coming through I saw roads that lead to Iron Mountain, and Riley Peak that are on public land, blocked with no available access. Along with a heard of about 6 antelope that were running back and forth along the corner of the property unable to jump, or crawl under because the fence is too low at the bottom and too high at the top. I have not seen elk on the eastern side of that freeway in atleast 6 months, and is tough for me to deal with as I feel the fence looks awful and he has fenced the blm public land past his land all the way down the freeway almost to Dusty. I used to love to predator hunt this area (Coyotes), and am half way tempted to cut the fence that is clearly crossing the public road access.

14-Aug-18
Have you reported it to BLM or forest service?

14-Aug-18
Not yet, looking into it as we speak.

14-Aug-18
It's a d.o.t. project . I called two weeks ago the range officer took care of it . Should be a gate there in a week or 2

14-Aug-18
Awesome split, have heard a couple different answers about the fence and animals unable to cross. Waiting to hear back from BLM and NMDGF.

14-Aug-18
Blm is who to talk to. Aren't gonna get far with the 5 strands being in the way of animals crossing but the gates will be there.

14-Aug-18
why is he able to fence public land. Is it leased or?

14-Aug-18
It's d.o.t.

14-Aug-18
yea they sure made it look like it was part of their ranch

14-Aug-18
So I talked to Department of Transportation. What this guy (rancher) did was ask DOT to go out and survey where their (DOT) were required to maintain by state (right of way), which in some spots is only 6 feet off hwy, and from that point on is blm, forest service responsibility. The fence is being put up by the rancher, and DOT is not responsible for any of the fence going up or placing gate on land.

14-Aug-18
Both

23-Sep-18
Are these fences still up? My buddy has a 21b cow hunt coming up.

24-Sep-18
They are definitely still up, however there has been one entrance added. If you aren't familiar with the area you'll miss it.

• Sitka Gear