Jebediah 14-Aug-18
Will 14-Aug-18
bigwoodsbucks22 14-Aug-18
Sosso 14-Aug-18
spike78 14-Aug-18
TT-Pi 15-Aug-18
bowandspear 15-Aug-18
14-Aug-18
I’ve been thinking: if you put up two stands three feet apart, clearly those aren’t two distinct spots. On the other hand, if thirty miles separates the two stands, then that’s certainly two spots. But what about 1 mile? 100 yards? And so forth. What is the tipping point?

14-Aug-18
If I can see you from my stand, you're in my spot. Consequently, if I can see you from my stand, I'm leaving.

14-Aug-18
What's the context? I have different "areas" and then i have different "spots" within those areas.

14-Aug-18
I guess the context is related to “burning up a spot.” If I’m in the same tree too often, then that spot is probably contaminated, in various ways. If I move a very short distance, then I’m kidding myself—I still have all the same problems. If I move a very long distance, then I have a clean slate. But I’ve been wondering about moving, say, 100 yards. Is this really a new spot? 200, 300, 400 yards?

14-Aug-18
I'm in BW camp. I have a bunch of areas I hunt, and within each, I have anywhere from 1 to many, say 5-10, different areas to set up in, which I'd label "spots".

Your question is a tough one to ponder Jeb. I placed a cam today in an area... I have hunted trees all over that area, maybe 10-12 spots. I mostly hunt 3-4 of those trees, but on occasion, others. My gut say's those spots are not more than 350-400 yds away from each other. A few are more like 200 I'd say. Many areas I hunt are like that.

Most of the time, I define a spot, as either being on a unique travel route from another stand location... The subtext though would be that some spots are based on wind.

Example, the stand I killed a buck on last year was perfect with a S/SE wind. But if the wind was W or N, I'd have been 150yds up the run so my wind blew out a different way. Same area, different spot.

14-Aug-18
Agree with Will on the wind stuff for sure. Tough to answer. I guess it depends on access too. I would think if you accessed 2 different trees, 100 yards apart, in different ways, you would be hunting 2 different spots, once each. But if you walk right through spot 1 to get to spot 2, you could be burning spot 1 up in that situation. If that makes sense.

I shot a particular buck i was hunting 3 years ago where i made 3 moves. Tree 2 was about 50 yards from tree 1. And tree 3, where i made the kill, was about 125 yards from the other 2 trees. It was that final move, the first sit in that new tree that made me successful. I believe that first sit in tree 3 came as a complete surprise to that buck. It was not pressured the least bit in that scenario and had i not moved that 150 yards, i wouldn't have made the kill.

14-Aug-18
Oh I get it. I had a spot dry up last season, I ended up moving about 80 yds due east, and all was well again.

So...80 yds is a new spot.

14-Aug-18
I usually refer to a spot as one whole piece of land. Then you gotta name your stands like the swamp stand etc.

15-Aug-18
If it smells really bad it could be a destink spot ... after its well cleaned then it's a De- stinked spot. Edjumacation is wort al da munny yous spent on it.

15-Aug-18
Pi wins, too funny. X2 what Sosso stated.

• Sitka Gear