Moultrie Mobile
Antelope Numbers in 600 and 690
Montana
Contributors to this thread:
Tatonka 15-Aug-18
15-Aug-18
Well, to say things look bleak is an understatement. I have the archery antelope tag so I've been out scouting for the past couple of weeks. The winter of 2011/2012 decimated the antelope in these two districts and it looks like last winter took care of what was left. In the four drives I've taken around the backroads where it wasn't uncommon to see 400-500 or more, I've seen exactly 23. 21 were in one bunch and then I saw two little bucks. That's it. I've glassed all the known places where antelope historically have been until my eyes hurt, have checked all the reservoirs where I've always seen them and they are just plain not there... I've only scouted a small part of 690 (areas I've hunted in the past) and didn't even see one. I understand there are a few small groups up in the Hogeland/Turner area. Based on what I've seen so far, I'm guessing unless I find something somewhere or another I'll just stick my tag back in my pocket. I'm certainly no biologist, but based solely on what I've observed I'd have to say antelope hunting should be shut down in this area.

On a side note, bird numbers look equally dismal. I've seen a few sharptail in my travels, but the broods have been small....4 or 5 birds is the most I've seen. Ditto for the Huns. Pheasants are at an all time low around here.

I've been here 38 years and this is the worst I've seen by far. Deer numbers appear to be down considerably also, but not as bad as the birds and antelope.... It's going to take a few years of back to back mild winters for the wildlife to recover. I know last winter was extremely brutal, but didn't realize just how brutal.... Survival of the fittest, as they say..

• Sitka Gear