spike78 15-Aug-18
spike78 15-Aug-18
arch2112 15-Aug-18
Will 15-Aug-18
mrw 15-Aug-18
fisherick 16-Aug-18
shawn_in_MA 16-Aug-18
15-Aug-18
So my bow is shooting accurately but I notice it is shooting slight nock left in the target with a 100 grain point. So nock left means the arrow is weak spine. I am using .350 spine arrows and the spine chart recommends .400 which doesn’t add up so for giggles I put an 85 grain tip on and bam straight arrow! So what do you think about 15 grains difference doing the trick? It seems to be but I can’t seem to buy it. If 85 grains is the trick then I just spent $75 in 100 grain broadheads for nothing.

15-Aug-18
Do you have length you can play with to try cutting shaft down? Maybe you can remove 15 grains worth and stiffen up spine and still use those 100 g heads.

15-Aug-18
You could add weight to the back or decrease bow weight if you think your arrow is too weak. If neither work with 100 grain point then you could cut like b&s mentioned.

15-Aug-18
Spike, http://www.lancasterarchery.com/blog/paper-tuning-101/

I assume this is your new compound and not your recurve. Nock left for a right handed shooter and a recurve is probably a weak spine. Compound with a release not necessarily, could be other things. Tekoa

15-Aug-18
Not much to cut down. I’m trying to figure out if it is me torquing or rest or arrow spine. I’m just having a hard time believing 15 grains would be the difference but you never know. I will try my new nocturnals with some extra weight in the back to see what that does.

15-Aug-18
Tekoa from what I read it’s either spine, torque, or rest. I tried 2 different arrows 3 weights, moved rest left and right. I was leaning towards torque but once I tried the 85 tips I shot two perfect arrows. Just baffled as it is a 65 pound bow and it showed weak spine from the arrows I shot out of my 72 pound bow. Maybe the short ATA affects the spine more then a longer ATA? I’m going to try and paper tune to see what I get. Hopefully I get to use the 100 grain tips as I really want to use those Tooth of the Arrow heads. If not I guess it’s Exodus or my old Slick Tricks.

15-Aug-18
For the guys that paper tune, do you use regular paper or thicker paper? Never needed to paper tune before so it’s all new to me.

15-Aug-18
I've used regular paper with no problems. Like the stuff you use for a printer.

15-Aug-18
I used to use butcher paper spike. I cut the bottom off a good sized box, taped the paper in it's place and shot through it.

I'm not one to get all psyched about it though. It is possible the curve of the bow (energy wise) is different. Maybe you are on the edge, and the smidge lighter weight helps.

If you have to cut down, remember you can do it from the back so you dont have to mess with the insert.

15-Aug-18
I use kitchen wax paper. But any paper should work.

16-Aug-18
Start cutting down the arrow shaft 1/8" - 1/4" at a time until you have perfect flight using the 100 grain points.

16-Aug-18
15 grains of tip weight will do relatively little to stiffen up an arrow. Like others have mentioned this could be more of a centershot/torque/grip thing than an arrow spine thing. An arrow wrap will stiffen your arrow up, shortening the shaft will also stiffen it up. Shifting your cams over to the left is also a possibility. Make sure your arrow is running straight down the bow. I do not know the measurement for a gearhead but many of the other bows are ~13/16" centershot

• Sitka Gear