Contributors to this thread:
Jebediah 17-Aug-18
spike78 17-Aug-18
BruceP 17-Aug-18
Will 17-Aug-18
TT-Pi 17-Aug-18
Tekoa 18-Aug-18
17-Aug-18
I joked on here at one point about digging a “hunting trench.” This is related, but not a joke. Or at least not intended to be a joke. The other day while walking around one of my spots, there was an enormous pine that had recently been uprooted. The root ball left a hole about 3 feet deep. If you were to crawl down in that hole, it would be a pretty good spot. And the root ball itself would be a kind of back-cover. Something to think about.

17-Aug-18
Last year I hunted behind the roots of a blowdown with the tree to my left. It was the perfect spot and right before it was just light enough I had to pee so I said better hurry up and stood up and a deer to my left took off. I had some of the tree blocking my vision and had I not had to pee that deer was coming 10 yards broadside. I like blowdowns just make sure you can see.

17-Aug-18
I like blowdowns too, but just make sure you don't have company in there. Last year when I was hunting Quabbin I spotted a good size blowdown and decided to set up nice and close. The root ball was hollowed out a little bit going into the trunk and as I got pretty close I noticed movement up inside the hollow part. Almost ended up sharing that spot with a porcupine...

17-Aug-18
Love em. If it works and I'm on the ground, I use them. Such great back cover. I missed a doe (just flat blew the shot) in CT about 10 years ago sitting in a hole like you note Jeb. And it's lead to close calls several times. As I recall, that mega buck Tekoa shot a few years ago was in a similar spot - is that right Tekoa?

17-Aug-18
It's good until it rains.

18-Aug-18
Yup Tekoa

• Sitka Gear