ksq232 01-Oct-18
Bentstick54 16-Oct-18
One Arrow 18-Oct-18
Bentstick54 23-Nov-18
ksq232 23-Nov-18
Dagwood_55 24-Nov-18
Bentstick54 25-Nov-18
17-Aug-18
Has anyone deer hunted the Grand Osage WA just SE of Parsons in the last couple of years? I know it is a draw only hunt, and ask for only helpful information please.

18-Aug-18

ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
I hunted it in 2013 and had a great hunt and shot an ancient buck. I hunted it again last year and was a little disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fun hunt, but they’ve added more seasons in order to keep it a special hunt destination (long story), and that has hurt the quality of the hunt. You used to get 13 days and had to shoot a doe before you could shoot a buck. Now you get 7 days and no longer have to shoot a doe, though they encourage you to. I saw TONS of deer last year, but no mature bucks from the stand. I videoed two bucks that looked like 3 year olds with 125-130” racks, and Rob, the manager, said most of the hunters would have shot those two bucks, when I showed him the video. He said everyone talks a big game about holding off for a 150”+, but few actually do it. Which he is FINE with; as long as you are happy, he’s happy. In my opinion, try to hunt one of the earlier seasons, I hunted the last. And expect to see an incredible number of does. There are too many of them, the big bucks don’t need to be very visible. Good luck if you got drawn, it’s still a fun hunt!

Above is the buck I shot in 2013.

18-Aug-18
Thx for the info. PM sent .

19-Aug-18
I drew 3rd week of Nov. hunt in 2016. I shot a buck on private ground during 1st week of Nov. that year. Therefore, I called and gave up my spot to someone on the waiting list. Someone got an early Christmas present from me that year! Sometimes I still wonder what I possibly gave up while knowing I might not ever draw that tag again? Oh well?

19-Aug-18
Yeah crested, but then 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. Always a tough decision. Good luck on drawing in the future.

19-Aug-18
Crested, my buddy took you spot in 2016. Small world, huh? And yes, he was very grateful!! He didn't shoot a buck that week, but he had a ball.

29-Sep-18
Well I got an e-mail yesterday stating I was not lucky enough to draw one of the available hunts this year. Maybe I will try again next year. Wish the lucky hunters for this year the best of luck.

01-Oct-18
I also got my email congrating me for drawing for Grand Osage, 2nd hunt, Nov 10 thru the 16th. This will be my second deer hunt there, also had 2 turkey hunts. So I'm hoping I'm able o draw either of the sections that I've hunted in before so I wont have to spend much time scouting.

It was hard to turkey hunt there this spring because deer were everywhere. There was a definate brouse line on the shurbs, which I would think means too many deer.. Hope to thin a couple out..

01-Oct-18
You’re right about the deer, way too many does!

16-Oct-18
Congrats Dagwood. Good luck.

18-Oct-18
There are some whoppers in there for sure.

23-Nov-18
Anybody have any success at Grand Osage this year?

23-Nov-18
I have two buddies hunting there this week. Biggest buck was shot in the first week, a 180”. The last two weeks have been tough though. With the very large number of does, the lockdown period lasts for weeks once it really gets rolling. My buddies have had a good time, but they’re worn out and glad to almost be done. One shot fired between them at a nice, but not huge, buck; it was a clean miss. Two bucks shot this week a 162” and a 110”.

24-Nov-18
I hunted Grand Osage the second week. Killed a big doe, passed on a buck that I now regret and missed a med nice buck later. This was my second deer hunt there and I learn a little more each time. I'm no game biologist but I think there are too many does. I saw plenty of bucks but almost no chasing. I would see 4 or 5 mature does, alone or some with yearlings, then I would see a couple of mature bucks by themselves, very little chasing. But except for the monday it snowed and blowed, I did see mature bucks every day. Its kinda hard to hunt in that you can't scout beforehand. So with only 7 days to hunt, do you sit in a stand or scout?? But it is a hoot to hunt and I will continue to apply even tho I don't have a good place to hunt if I don't draw G.O.

And there was another buck killed this week. A friend of mine shot a 133 buck Thanksgiving morning

25-Nov-18
Thanks for the update. I applied but did not draw this year. May apply again next year.

• Sitka Gear