splitlimb13 21-Aug-18
mike315 21-Aug-18
RichWT 21-Aug-18
ohiohunter 21-Aug-18
Barrera 21-Aug-18
RichWT 21-Aug-18
RichWT 21-Aug-18
20-Aug-18
Hi All - I got a 21B second season Elk Archery tag. I plan on solo hunting the northwestern portion. I have done a ton of e-scouting and have some spots picked to hike into in onX and google earth. After quite a bit of research I am not too optimistic on being able to get an animal on public land.

I wanted to see if anyone else out there would be interested in joining up for some or part of the 10 days to team up for bugling or optimistically speaking packing out meat. I am an avid backpacker and am prepared for 10+ miles a day.

Of course anyone that may have some additional tips or coordinates to check out that would be appreciated but I realize that is an unrealistic ask.

20-Aug-18

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
splitlimb13's embedded Photo

20-Aug-18
that bad?

21-Aug-18
Wish I could help, avoided that place due to lack of access

21-Aug-18
Tough unit Trevor, but sounds like you've done your homework and have a plan. Just give it your all and something will come together. Good luck.

21-Aug-18
If you are not hearing them and seeing fresh sign you need to move, it's that simple and is what anyone has to do.

Your going to have a great hunt!!

21-Aug-18
+1 MrElite's advice. Don't get bogged down, be flexible. The success rate for public land hunters in that unit is not any worse than most of the rest of the state. The average bow hunt was only 5 days long. Keep it up and have a blast.

And that was a nice chill response to Bart...Lucky Splitlimb, whatever his name is.

21-Aug-18
the unit is so checkerboard and the Landowners block or have most the public landlocked there is not many elk in the unit id focus on the section down by wiston that is accessible.

21-Aug-18
I appreciate it Bobby, Bill, Elite and smarba... south of winston by 21a is going to be day 2 :-). Spitlimb you got me all the more motivated...

21-Aug-18
Im serious theres a peak north of Winston that the asshole rancher blocked off all the blm and state. find your way in there and should be able to get some space esp now that he literally put a fence on thousands of acres that dont belong to him .If you have scouted you will know the fence big red fence put it about 10 feet n front of blm fenceing and blocked all the blm access. Not sure how they continually get away with that type of stuff but they do. MY guess they have the game warden in pocket for a tag ..... im not opne to be discouraged but the checkerboard and landlokcing is a major issue and good luck reporting it game warden will take 4 days to even call you back and talk to them ...

21-Aug-18
All the ranchers there make life hell! Spend more time with the warden then hunting.

21-Aug-18
Im telling you i cant help but think they have them in their pocket . I dont hun that unit to much hassle but one has to wonder how a guy can block LEgally thousands of acres fo state and BLM

21-Aug-18
And not to mention block a forest road with only one entrance. I'm with you Bobby. I think there's some shady crap going on. They're in bed together. At the last meeting one of the proposals was to expand the COER further south there, and were selling it by pitching how many more public tag opportunities there would be there. So me, being me, asked how they got the % of public vs private tags to be added, the response was" by dividing the public and private land resulting in the added tag numbers for public vs private" . I then stated that formula will not work! All of the public land in the proposal is land locked there for will result in more public tags, but that would just mean more hunters piled on top of each other in the scarce accessable land we have. So I'm against expanding the COER in that unit

21-Aug-18
I killed my second bull ever in 21b second archery hunt, so it can be done! There are tons of elk on public land, but understand that access to it is the issue. I treated this unit a lot like 16b, where I packed in a couple days before hunt, and stayed deep in forest for 5-6 days. Ranchers in this unit are bunch of dick bags that block access to public land and blm seems to never give a shit. Learned to steer clear of this unit because of the ranchers and their willingness to do WHATEVER it takes to keep you out!

21-Aug-18
Thanks Mike. I plan doing a fair amount of hiking and not too much driving aside from hwy 52

21-Aug-18
Split, I hear ya. I don't know what their objective for increasing COER's in some units. I know in some places it will put a limit on LO harvest, but part of me believes it will take tags out of our hands due to how they divide the tags per land mass, public vs private in COER.

21-Aug-18
Richwt, Not much longer and you can start hop scotching with you bow in 21b. Just make sure you don't step on that private lol. Game Over. But make sure those RO guys don't hunt your public either. Not that gnf will do anything. By the way you have to run and jump those corners. Only legal way I know of lol. Be safe man.

21-Aug-18
haha thanks Barrera. I am excited to hopscotch.

21-Aug-18
haha thanks Barrera. I am excited to hopscotch.

• Sitka Gear