Zbone 29-Aug-18
Zbone 03-Sep-18
Saphead 09-Sep-18
Saphead 10-Sep-18
Zbone 10-Sep-18
Saphead 11-Sep-18
Zbone 12-Sep-18
22-Aug-18
Was reading through David Ziesberger field notes from 1700's (Really interesting read BTW) He says in it that the Muskingum was named for all the Elk along it's banks. Meaning "Elk Eyes" in Delaware. Would have been neat to see. And from a different source: " The name of the river appears on maps dating to 1755. In the Delaware language, the name means Where there are Elk’s Eyes. The Muskingum River was called Elk’s Eye Creek by Christopher Gist in 1750, who later was the guide for George Washington in his famous 1753 diplomatic trip to the French commander in western Pennsylvania. "

Bring em back!

23-Aug-18
That's pretty cool, IDK that! Love to have some elk running around!

23-Aug-18
A lot of animals that use to live here, because there were so many, man thought they were endless. Funny part is, the Native Americans in this area thought Kentucky was better hunting. Elk, Bison, Bear who knows what else was here originally. Market Hunting destroyed so many game of all kinds. All for a cheap food/meat source for the people that lived back, east who had already destroyed/decimated the animals that originally lived there. Many times I have wished to be able to go back in time to see what this country was really like before the Europeans arrived. DANNY

27-Aug-18
If Muskingum means "Elk Eyes" in Delaware, what does Tuscarawas mean?

Ziesberger spent a lot of time along the Tuscarawas River and his grave site is only a couple hundred yards from the river in Goshen Township, Tuscarawas County.... Am curious for I'm from the area and always figured Tuscarawas was and Indian name, but never really heard the meaning...

28-Aug-18
From Ohio History Central. On February 13, 1808, the Ohio government authorized the creation of Tuscarawas County. Residents named the county after a Native American word meaning “open mouth.”

Found this when Googled...

28-Aug-18
I think I read that the tuscawaras river was the muskingham at that time. Not sure what the other branch that us now the upper muskingham would have been called. I can picture elk along the Tuscawaras!! This book is so detailed. Learn alot about every tribe of Ohio.

29-Aug-18
Thanks mattandersen.......

Yeah Doug, I think you are right... I actually remember that from school when taught the Tuscarawas branch of the river was also called the Muskingum, kinda why I brought it up... Back in my day (old school...8^)) we had Ohio history class (I think it was 6th grade if I remember correctly)... Anyhow, couldn't remember if it was before or after Ziesberger, and what mattandersen posted, makes sense that branch of the river was renamed different after Ziesberger, so actually the elk he wrote about was more likely to have been along today's Tuscarawas since he spent most his missionary time in the Tuscarawas Valley... Those unaware, today's world the two upper branches - the Tuscarawas and the Walhonding form the Muskingum at Coshocton...

03-Sep-18
Hey Doug - Can I ask the name of the Zeisberger book you are reading with the detailed Indian information... There are multiple Zeisberger books, and not sure which one... Thanks...

Hey mattandersen - Thanks for the Ohio History Central info... Luv the site...

BTW, found this on Wikipedia:

"

(/?t?sk??r??w?s/ TUS-k?-RAH-w?s)

Its name is a Delaware Indian word variously translated as "old town" or "open mouth".

"

09-Sep-18
It's the one with Painting by Jack paluh Indian over a dead buck

10-Sep-18
History of the northern American indians

10-Sep-18
Found online version, will post link if anyone interested... Thank you Doug... BTW, you back in Ohio or South Dakota?

Thanks again, take care...

11-Sep-18
SouthDak. last 6 years. Live south of Rapid City. Was hunting Elk in Black hills Wyoming the last few days. Had 1 bull at 50 yds. too far for my stick. You would like it lots of oaks. Same hills as West Virginia. I read that the Ohio Natives didn't really like to eat Elk, preferred deer.

12-Sep-18
Good luck with the hunting... I luv that area and the Black Hills...

Yeah, the reading I did deer seemed to be the center of their universe... Food, clothing, and money selling the hides... Seemed the hides were most valuable in the "red", meaning the summer months, and were worth about a dollar at the time and how the dollar earned the term of "buck"... Daniel Boone made a living off them..

Was impressed by Zeisberger's attention and detail to the wildlife... Aside from deer and elk, there was also moose, bison, wolves, cougars, bear, wildcats (I assume bobcats), and all the present critters we still have around here... Although I didn't read it all, I know Newcomerstown was the so called capital of the Delaware Lenapes, it didn't actually say what tribe of the Lenapes they were in the valley...

Again, best of luck this season...

• Sitka Gear