Buckshot89 23-Aug-18
1SG Ret 23-Aug-18
1SG Ret 23-Aug-18
mrw 23-Aug-18
mrw 26-Aug-18
Will 27-Aug-18
deerpiss 03-Sep-18
22-Aug-18
This is not a stolen camera thread (I hope :-O).

Couple years ago I got sick during hunting season and forgot where I put 3 or 4 trail cameras, and about 3 or 4 weeks of other stuff. I have some ideas where they might be so I have been wandering around looking, hopefully, that I'll come across one.

I can't be the only one who has misplaced a trail cam, what do you guys do so it doesn't happen?

22-Aug-18
I usually just remember where I put them ;) hahaha. You could put those tacks in the tree or mark it on a gps

22-Aug-18
I do have a pile of those tacks, somehow . . .

22-Aug-18
Did you ever think that maybe you're pile of tacks is how someone else lost their camera...

You just remember huh moons? Enjoy youth while you can, and then ask Mark for some of those tacks...

22-Aug-18
I lose them all the time mrw, and in pretty small woodlots. Solution is to wander around in circles until you see it.

22-Aug-18
May be a little over the top but I keep a folder in my truck with all my hunting related stuff like maps, permission slips etc. I write down the date and location when I set them, update it if I move them. Same with stands. I remember recently finding an old Strong Built stand grown into the tree and choked with branches. After a minute I remembered my son and I hung it when he was around 10 years old. He's now 33. The old memory ain't what it used to be.

22-Aug-18
Buy new ones and I eventually run into them in the woods at some point. They will have a full sd card full of wind and person pics !!!!

22-Aug-18
A couple weeks ago I went to check one out in zone 6 and it took a long time to find it. I was sweating like a pig by the time it was located. Another time I put one out and didn’t make the drive to it for two years. That cam lasted 15 months and I had a ton of great pics!

22-Aug-18
I put my cameras in my yard with a map, GPS some string to the back door and spray paint a trail. I seldom lose them.

OK, I only have a few and usually point them towards a stand. Easier to remember who I am and where I was that way.

22-Aug-18

Will's embedded Photo
Ha - I found it... that's me, hauling past the cam and totally missing it. Took about a half hour of zig zagging to find it and decide I'd always GPS em from then on :)
Will's embedded Photo
Ha - I found it... that's me, hauling past the cam and totally missing it. Took about a half hour of zig zagging to find it and decide I'd always GPS em from then on :)
There in lie's my favorite method for using a GPS. Tag the tree :).

I should look back, some place I have a pic of me trouncing around "I know it's here some place", not seeing it, and then finding it.

Point blank, one I put out a couple weeks ago is a needle in a hay stack. I'm positive it would be a near miracle to find it given my newness to the area and circuitous walkabout that lead me there, if I didnt tag it with the GPS.

When I go check it, hopefully some day next week, Ill try without the GPS and report back whether I was able!

22-Aug-18
Everyone, thanks for this thread. Thought it was just me who loses them, didn't want to be the one who asked "that question" !

22-Aug-18
I do GPS them. I just neglected to delete the old way points when I got sick. Add to that I tend to leave cameras for months, and my wife says I'm forgetful.

Will, I've got a few pics like that. Might even be a couple on the missing cameras!

23-Aug-18
MRW what zone/town are you missing cameras in?

23-Aug-18
i have them marked on my OnXHunt app

23-Aug-18
what BruceP said, lol

23-Aug-18
I always use a gps thing in the wood look way to different from now until when the leaves start to fall or vise versa in the spring time. GPS all the way.

23-Aug-18
I set waypoints on my GPS or Onx app.

23-Aug-18
XonHunting app works very well. When I place one I put the date and what camera it is. I have about 8 cameras a couple of the same model so I write a number on the top so if I’m looking for muddy 3 on the app but muddy 3 is in the truck next to me I either delete it from the app or make a note “not in field” but I have done it before where I put them out in the fall and come spring can’t find them even with GPS

23-Aug-18
XonHunting app works very well. When I place one I put the date and what camera it is. I have about 8 cameras a couple of the same model so I write a number on the top so if I’m looking for muddy 3 on the app but muddy 3 is in the truck next to me I either delete it from the app or make a note “not in field” but I have done it before where I put them out in the fall and come spring can’t find them even with GPS

23-Aug-18
There might be 4, probably in either Norton, Mansfield, Rehoboth, Dighton or Rhode Island. Or the tool box on my truck . . .

I'm pretty sure I know where 1 is. The other's I think I know the general area, but maybe not. One's a Bushnell in a lock box, one is a Moultrie, one a Browning and one is a WGI. And yes, all my cameras the last 2 years are marked on HuntStand.

When I scout in the spring, or hunt this fall, it will be like an Easter Egg hunt!

26-Aug-18

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo
Found 1 ! I had a Wild Game in a swamp that I suspected I knew where it was. Even a blind squirrel . . .

Nothing but doe's but it was nice to find it.

27-Aug-18
Play the lotto tonight :)!

03-Sep-18
woods alway looks lot different on rainy days. somehow i got turned around where i was. Placed a camera not far off a trail, then placed a stack of rocks on trail. Took several trips out on different trails to finally find stack of rocks. After that always use phone to mark cameras.

• Sitka Gear