N2BUX 27-Aug-18
ksq232 27-Aug-18
Westksbowhunter 27-Aug-18
N2BUX 28-Aug-18
Matte 28-Aug-18
Slate 13-Sep-18
24-Aug-18
Hello Everyone,

I know it’s cutting it close, but I was wondering if anybody knew of any leases available in or around Comanche County? Was just informed this week the land I have been leasing the last three years was sold and the new owner will not be leasing it out. Already have tag and don it want it to go to waste. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

24-Aug-18
Hello Everyone,

I know it’s cutting it close, but I was wondering if anybody knew of any leases available in or around Comanche County? Was just informed this week the land I have been leasing the last three years was sold and the new owner will not be leasing it out. Already have tag and don it want it to go to waste. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

24-Aug-18
That’s a tough one, leases are hard to come by in Comanche County, and they cost a fortune. We’ve lost all our connections out there over time.

24-Aug-18
I lost ground that I'd been hunting for 25 yrs when it was sold. It took me three years to get on a lease with some other guys an hour in the opposite direction. I had never had to lease before. So expand your search area and use any and all connections you have. That is Kansas 2018.9

25-Aug-18
I would never let a Kansas tag go to waste. There are other options besides a lease!! Shawn

26-Aug-18
Not in Commanche County Shawn

26-Aug-18
Well unit 16 has a few good places to hunt State and WiHa wise.

27-Aug-18
The problem is that there's not much. There's basically none at all in Commanche. The little bit there is gets hit hard. It gets hit hard because of the tag situation. There's very limited access in the entire unit. It's full of large ranches that are heavily managed and very restricted but it's a unit with a lot of tags so what ends up happening is very few are taken by the folks who possess access in the unit. Every year it ends up being one of the units with the most leftover tags. Because of that, people without access grab a leftover hoping to find a spot which is virtually impossible in 16 unless you know someone. All those people end up on the little bit of public in the unit like the big ranch by Protection.

Shawn, unit 16 is nothing like what you've experienced in northernwestern Kansas. It's home of the Hashknife and everyone knows it. Virtually every ranch in the unit is leased for top dollar. And they're all being bought for recreation when they come up for sale. Door knocking gets you nowhere down there. You basically have to be connected and have VERY deep pockets

27-Aug-18
In 2000 my brother-in-law and I had access to over 15,000 acres around Protection, we never paid a dime for any of it. Seems like a thousand years ago... I’m so glad he moved from there.

27-Aug-18
In the 70's when I started hunting you never had to ask for permission. Around 1979 or1980 I saw my first "Hunting by Permission Only Sign".

28-Aug-18
Yeah, I hunt with guys that used to hunt in the Hashknife for free. All you had to do was ask. Times have certainly changed.

28-Aug-18
Well I'm glad one if my buddies hasn't leased his 3200 acres near Attica. Pretty good hunting for friends and family although I hardly ever get over there.

13-Sep-18
I had property in Attica. I didn’t do well there. I do always hear good things about that area.

• Sitka Gear