Mathews Inc.
Need 16B Packer Late Archery
New Mexico
Contributors to this thread:
Hossfisher 27-Aug-18
27-Aug-18
Just got an email this week from the packer I had arranged this spring to provide pack out service for my 16B late archery elk hunt. They notified me that their normal packers are now no longer available this year and I might be in a bind as they are having trouble finding replacements.

I have used them in 2013, 2015, and even though they were swamped in 2017 they were willing to be on call for me. Tom Klumker's daughter Paula is who I have been using. She has been great and she is still looking for somebody to pack but wanted to let me know they could no longer promise to be on call. Her packer BJ Nation has retired and is no longer available to her and Gary Romero cannot get off work this year to pack for her either. I think she handles their West Fork camp now so she herself can't support me this year. You see my bind!

So far she has had no luck locating a replacement and will keep chasing down leads that her or Tom has. She gave me a couple of names to try but so far I have struck out as well. I told her I would post on the hunting forums for leads. I am also googling for past threads on the forums for leads as well. I already had my CO tag for an early hunt but have put it on hold until I get somebody lined up.

I would greatly appreciate any help on leads for packers that any of you have used or know.

I have been backpacking/hunting the Gila for 30yrs now chasing turkeys and elk and know my way around extremely well. For elk I usually hunt the north side of 16B about 3-5 miles in using trailheads anywhere from Willow Creek to Black Mountain. Sometimes the Aldo Leopold but not this year.

These Gila pack out posts always seem to generate warnings about not letting meat spoil. So let me assure you if I cannot find somebody I will have to hunt close to my truck to get my meat out in time. I freeze my own blocks of ice and always have 180lbs or so at the truck well insulated that lasts the whole hunt.

Thanks for your help and everybody have a great season!

• Sitka Gear